Addressing members concerns over post edits

David

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 12:06, David said:

Concerns were raised by a couple of members in the Manchester Explosion thread that moderators have the power to edit posts and were not told of any changes to their posts or why posts were hidden.

I did explain in the topic that if there is an issue with posts 99% of the time they would be hidden, not edited. The rare occasions that they are edited is to fix broken links, include links to source or remove a needless personal insult at the end of the post.

I also explained it would be far too time consuming for moderators to engage with members when posts were edited or hidden as it can result in lengthy discussions where ultimately we all agree to disagree.

The feedback/criticism hasn't gone through one ear and out the other, I have listened and understood your concerns.

As a part solution I have made changes.

When a post is edited now by yourself or a moderator a note is left at the bottom of the post. There is no avoiding it. You will see a "Reason for Edit" box at the bottom, leave it blank and the post will still leave a edited by note.

I have asked the moderators to leave a reason, even if it is to fix a link so you know why your post was hidden. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 11.37.39.png

Because each edit creates a record in our database log, left uncleared the database will grow super large over time so it is essential that these are pruned automatically over time. I have it set currently to 7 days. Past this period no posts should be edited anyway, members still are restricted to editing within 15 minutes.

I accept this may give conspiracy theorists "well they'll just wait 7 days now before editing my post", if you believe that there is little point me even responding. 

With regards to hidden posts, that remains unchanged. I will not ask the moderators to create a private discussion with members or post publicly that their post was hidden each time.

Dog with a bone.

If your click send and you see your post on the forum but cannot see later, a moderator or myself will have removed it. You are more than welcome to contact any of us that are online at the time to ask why politely and you will always be given a reply, you may not agree with the answer but you will have one.

I hope this goes someway to ease minds that we are silently editing posts, changing members, opinions, that has never been the case and have to say slightly disappointed some believed that.

that didn't last long?

2 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

editing? did I have a parapsychological moment and imagine posting on the "BAME Candidates" thread?

Did you miss this bit? :p

With regards to hidden posts, that remains unchanged. I will not ask the moderators to create a private discussion with members or post publicly that their post was hidden each time.

Just now, LesterRam said:

editing? did I have a parapsychological moment and imagine posting on the "BAME Candidates" thread?

Your post wasn't edited it was removed. If posts are edited they will have a note why they were edited, when hidden you are free to contact a moderator to ask why, although I would like to think that would be obvious. Nothing as changed since this topic.

I know you like to push the boundaries but we have all ages reading this forum, might be worth toning it down if you want posts to stay. 

5 hours ago, LesterRam said:

I'm not touching that one with a bargepole.

Archived