George Boyd - signed for Sheffield Wednesday

Mafiabob

54 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

As long he's not signing for us.

If im honest I don't think Rowett sees the wing positions as crucial to recruit for as some of our fans do! I think he likes Johnny in that role . Not saying it's my opinion , just the vibe I get from bits and pieces Rowett's said.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GermanRam said:

36 matches in Premier League last season.

27 matches right midfield, 9 matches left midfield. Well.

Need of the club over preferred position. Always known him as a left winger over the years. Plus versatility is a bonus. We need more fluidity up front.

Just now, Rample said:

Need of the club over preferred position. Always known him as a left winger over the years. Plus versatility is a bonus. We need more fluidity up front.

Yeah true. Still always right winger / right midfielder for me.

Doesn't matter tbh.

Davies, Boyd - not too sure what to think about these transfers. We'll see.

11 minutes ago, GermanRam said:

Yeah true. Still always right winger / right midfielder for me.

Doesn't matter tbh.

Davies, Boyd - not too sure what to think about these transfers. We'll see.

The main thing for me is, it completely contradicts what Rowett said about how he wansnt keen on signing players older players coming down from the pre looking for a last pay day. Wouldn't Davies and Boyd both fall into that category? Or will their contribution outweigh the obvious downsides? 

2 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

The main thing for me is, it completely contradicts what Rowett said about how he wansnt keen on signing players older players coming down from the pre looking for a last pay day. Wouldn't Davies and Boyd both fall into that category? Or will their contribution outweigh the obvious downsides? 

That's the point.

10 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Why don't you want him? 

He played on loan at forest once and almost signed for them, is my guess.

10 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

6 minutes ago, GermanRam said:

That's the point.

It is all down to the players and their attitude. Not all older players coming down from the prem will be looking for a last pay day, if they have a similar attitude as Ian Taylor, for example, then they will be a massive addition to the team. I think with Boyd and Davies that their attitude will be right and will prove good additions. 

2 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Think Boyd would be a good addition. Work rate excellent. 

Plus if we want a diversity of players - Players who 'give you something different' then this is exactly the kind of winger we should be after

Ince is your "all the bells and whistles" winger - Flair, creativity, composure, workrate etc etc

Russell, Weimann and Blackman are all "head down and get to goal" wingers - Forwards really, who's first thought is to get goals

Anya and Camara are more old fashioned wingers - Beat the man and cross the ball - Anya looks terrified when he gets in a position to shoot

Boyd for me would be the kind of winger we've been missing since Dawkins left - Not as quick, but still as skillful, not as direct but gives you a nicer, smoother link up between the midfield and attack, gives time for the midfield to get up to create a proper attack without slowing down play so much that the defence is totally ready

I'd be happy if we started the season with Ince, Russell, Blackman, Anya and Boyd (potential to drop Blackman and/or Anya from that - Would add in Weimann IF he wanted to stay)

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I'd be happy if we started the season with Ince, Russell, Blackman, Anya and Boyd (potential to drop Blackman and/or Anya from that - Would add in Weimann IF he wanted to stay)

I'd like to see us drop one of Anya or Blackman. Weimann has a part to play this season, I'm sure of that.

6 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

I'd like to see us drop one of Anya or Blackman. Weimann has a part to play this season, I'm sure of that.

I like Weimann too - But feel he's the least likely to be happy with sporadic football - Assuming we manage to keep Ince I think our first choice wing pairing will be him and Russell (despite all the negativity around Russell he's passionate, hard working and Rowett has tried to sign him a few times - Got to be the favourite to start?)

So would imagine we'll need players who are willing to fight for their place from the bench - Someone new (ie, Boyd) could be persuaded they might be first choice (like Weimann when we signed him) - Anya is still new enough that he may think the same PLUS fits Rowetts hard working template - Blackman will probably be patient as he's had no chance to prove himself?

17 minutes ago, Papahet said:

I'd take him or Michel Kightly, both available on free

Yeah I'd probably take either or both for free, assuming we can ship out one or more of Andreas Weimann, Nick Blackman, Camara maybe Anya (although I'd like to keep Anya's pace and versatility). 

I guess the arguments against Boyd would be his age and the fact he's yet another left footed winger. His age I dont think is too much an issue in his case as he'd be available for no upfront cost and he clearly still has the work rate and attitude we need. 

Kightly would be a risk in a way, but again no upfront cost and he'd very much have a point to prove. 

The difference between Boyd & most of our wide forwards, is that he is most comfortable playing in a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1

Whether he'd be a smart addition largely depend on how Gaz intends to play.

If we're planning to go 4-3-3 in the main then Boyd is less of an attractive option.

If we're planning to go 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 in the main then Boyd would make complete sense, and allow us to play Martin & Nugent together.

Of our current stock of wide forwards, I'd argue only Anya would be most suited to a 4.

1 hour ago, Saul Pimpson said:

The difference between Boyd & most of our wide forwards, is that he is most comfortable playing in a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1

Whether he'd be a smart addition largely depend on how Gaz intends to play.

If we're planning to go 4-3-3 in the main then Boyd is less of an attractive option.

If we're planning to go 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 in the main then Boyd would make complete sense, and allow us to play Martin & Nugent together.

Of our current stock of wide forwards, I'd argue only Anya would be most suited to a 4.

If we play 4-2-3-1 then he is even more of an attractive option. He can attack and defend.

Archived