EFL Radio deal with BBC and TalkSPORT

David

Three-year agreements with talkSPORT and the BBC have been signed to secure high-profile broadcast platforms for all EFL clubs for the 2017/18 season onwards. 

talkSPORT have secured exclusive live commentary rights across the Sky Bet EFL and Sky Bet Play-Offs as well as non-exclusive rights to the Carabao Cup, which they will share with the BBC. 

Both outlets will have the ability to broadcast score flash updates across all three EFL Sky Bet divisions, the Carabao Cup and the Checkatrade Trophy. 

The agreement represents a significant increase on the combined rights fee in comparison to the existing arrangements and includes additional non-exclusive elements, ensuring that both broadcasters will be able to promote the EFL, its clubs, competitions and partners. 

Shaun Harvey, EFL Chief Executive, said: “I am delighted that we have been able to secure a national platform for all EFL clubs with the two main sports broadcasters in the UK. 

“talkSPORT and the BBC have both been long-time partners of the EFL and I look forward to working with them to maximise the potential coverage for all our clubs and competitions. 

“The increase we have achieved for our clubs represents tangible progress in a difficult market place and I truly believe this is a deal that not only benefits the EFL and our clubs, but also provides the best possible solution for supporters, partners and broadcasters alike.” 

The terms of the agreements include: 

talkSPORT

- Non-exclusive rights to score flash updates across all three EFL Sky Bet divisions, the Carabao Cup and the Checkatrade Trophy. 
- Exclusive live commentary rights to up 110 EFL fixtures  
- Up to a maximum of 92 Championship fixtures 
- Exclusive live commentary rights for all matches included within the EFL Play-Offs across all three divisions 
- Non-exclusive right to transmit live match commentary of Carabao Cup matches throughout the competition, including the final 
- Exclusive rights to transmit live match commentary from Checkatrade Trophy matches 

BBC

- Non-exclusive rights to score flash updates across all three EFL Sky Bet divisions, the Carabao Cup and the Checkatrade Trophy. 
- Non-exclusive right to transmit live match commentary of Carabao Cup matches throughout the competition, including the final. 

The EFL’s existing agreements with BBC and talkSPORT are due to expire following the completion of this season’s Sky Bet Play-Offs.

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-new-radio-rights-deals-to-maximise-broadcast-coverage-3724795.aspx#QFoxwCarQg45LBJK.99

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, David said:

Three-year agreements with talkSPORT and the BBC have been signed to secure high-profile broadcast platforms for all EFL clubs for the 2017/18 season onwards. 

How are TalkSport high profile? Sounds like a dumb deal, does this mean no more Radio Derby commo?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

How are TalkSport high profile? Sounds like a dumb deal, does this mean no more Radio Derby commo?

Don't think this will effect local radio deals with clubs, looks to me like the Championship game 5 Live would cover will now be on Talksport instead.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Arent Talksport the biggest Radio Sports broadcaster in the world , I am sure that make that statement somewhere

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

If they do I'm sure its based on being part of Murdock's networks.

I was fairly sure they were way behind five live in the UK.

You are correct TS 2.7 million R5L 5.3 million , I guess that TS would argue they are a dedicated Sports broadcaster where as R5L are a bit of everything , I know which one I tune into on a daily basis , but I suspect that I might be in the minority on this board based on the comments I have seen with regards to TS :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, JG400 said:

I know which one I tune into on a daily basis , but I suspect that I might be in the minority on this board based on the comments I have seen with regards to TS :ph34r:

I quite like Talksport, the only problem I have is with all the presenters, can't stand em.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

What is Talksport?  I have heard of it but don't know what it is.

It's ok. I listen to it quite a bit but some presenters are annoying, and they tend to talk about one issue all day on each programme n do it to death. Some wind up merchants on there. 1053 n 1089 mw n dab. 

Talksport is on the old Radio One medium wave frequency. As someone who's overseas loads for work, it's good because if listening to Five Live you get that incredibly annoying "Hello ... the programme you're listening to is not available" message whereas you could always llisten to the footy commentary on Talk Sport, anywhere in the world. Interesting if that continues.

13 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

...whereas you could always llisten to the footy commentary on Talk Sport, anywhere in the world. Interesting if that continues.

Not sure that's still the case, I'm sure I got the 'not available' message when out in Cyprus this May.

Archived