Transfer Market

DCFC1388

I was going to do this as a poll but not sure how to do it. Was wondering what area of the transfer market people thought we should aim for with transfers.

1 - Free Agents - Could be some good bargains out there for free, like Chris Martin was

2. Foreign Leagues (inc Scotland) - Never know if a player will settle or be good enough, could be a Bryson or could be Albentosa/Camara. Plenty of good players out there in these leagues, Knockaert + Ulloa a couple of past successes

3. - Prem Young Loans - Been good to us in the past with Ince, Wisdom + Bamford, but you never know if the player will handle the Championship

4. - Prem back ups (flops) - You could class Ince as a prem backup/flop when we got him on loan, someone like Sako would fall into this category imo. These types of players do tend to come with either a high price or big wage demand, sometimes both

5. Proven champ quality - I guess Ince would also fall into this category, so would Nugent. A possible cross over with number 4 above. These players normally come at a high price in the current market, also no guarantee players can/will emulate past success (Vydra, Blackman, Butterfield and Johnson) but could get you out of the league if you do it right. Brighton - Murray, Newcastle - Gayle + Ritchie

6. Lower league - some gems are out there in the lower leagues, the likes of Vardy and Kightly have come from lower down and made the grade in the higher leagues - Howard, Brayford + Christie did well for us coming from lower leagues, huge gamble to spend on these players as they may not make the grade and be huge flops...Liam Dickinson springs to mind!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with @Ilsonram12 - However proven championship players come at a high cost nowadays. It's a risky way to go. You have 2 options really. 

1 - Go with lower table players and hope they produce the good at a bigger club like us.

OR 

2 - Buy players off your rival but at a higher fee, then the player has pressure to perform like they have been doing previously.

Hard way to do your business. 

39 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Number 5 all day long, but then you need to kick on to a number 7 proven premiership quality

Number 5 is expensive and unambitious IMO. "Proven" Championship players are a.) very expensive and b.) highly unlikely to be good enough for the Premier League. It's an overpriced ticket for immediate relegation - assuming you get promoted in the first place, and don't do a Derby, Villa or Norwich.

This is how we've ended up spending up £28.5m on Shackell, Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman, Anya and Vydra alone. You could assemble an entire squad capable of finishing 8th like the current team for about half that figure. It's a huge waste of money on players who you know have already reached their peak, and what their peak looks like, which is a good Championship player and nothing more.

These expensive players have been unable to replicate the points total or league position of the 13/14 side, in which Richard Keogh was the only player purchased as a proven Championship player. The bulk of the squad was either category 1, 2 or 6 with the 2 or 3 Premier League loans making all the difference.

I would also argue that for all the "proven" Championship players we've signed over the past two seasons, the three players we've missed the most this season (Martin, Forsyth and Thorne) were either unproven or had potential to fulfill when we signed them. Incidentally, all three of those players initially joined the club on loan.

For those who say this post is clinging on to the distant past of the 13/14 season, I would also invite you to look at Brighton and Huddersfield's squads from this season and where they signed the bulk of their successful squads from.

I don't really care to be honest as long as the player fits. 

All money does is increase the number of players available to you. Good scouting increases the number of players known to you.

A little bit of imagination from the manager and you can sign 'bad/average' players and give them a role that they're better suited to. Martin for example, decent number #10 at this level for Palace and Norwich, wonderful lone striker for us.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 I just hope whoever comes in is given a chance by the management and fans.

Seen far too many players come in to this club recently and barely feature and written off by fans before a ball has even been kicked.

I hold my hand up for getting a wee bit excited during Clement's summer supermarket sweep, just shows you glamorous names and fees doesn't always = success. 

Expecting a different kind of summer this year, wouldn't be surprised to see Wiki called upon, my mind is fully open to all possibilities be in Scottish Championship or some kid from Exeter City, just hope he get's it right, quite fancy promotion myself.

#2 for me but not Scotland. I'm a bit bored of english/scottish/Irish players.

I'd like to see us bring in a couple of Jamaicans, then we could call ourselves the RastaRams! Or some Aussies and we could be the Ramaroos! We could have Aussie beers on sale, we could all wear those cork hats in the stands! We could have Rolf Harris on at half time with his wobble board! It'd really liven the place up a bit. Good old Rolf :) Where is Rolf anyway? Never hear much about him these days.

26 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

#2 for me but not Scotland. I'm a bit bored of english/scottish/Irish players.

I'd like to see us bring in a couple of Jamaicans, then we could call ourselves the RastaRams! Or some Aussies and we could be the Ramaroos! We could have Aussie beers on sale, we could all wear those cork hats in the stands! We could have Rolf Harris on at half time with his wobble board! It'd really liven the place up a bit. Good old Rolf :) Where is Rolf anyway? Never hear much about him these days.

I think Rolf Harris is in prison pal, hope he stays there as well.

5 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Perfect!

Still not clear why he wanted to tie that kangaroo down,,, until that issue is sorted I think we should give him a wide birth 

Archived