Nick Blackman/Harry Redknapp

I've been as critical as anyone on Blackman but no one can say he's had a fair shot at Derby. Different managers and injuries at the wrong times. In terms of physique, power and pace he has everything Rowett likes in a player, sometimes he's shown great touches, other times he couldn't trap a bag of cement (probably due to confidence). Tough decision whether to persevere or to get rid. He's like lots of players here at Derby, talented but don't necessarily fit, and if he is a confidence player, then we have a few too many of those. We need some more mental toughness!

Paying him off is bonkers though! May as well stick with him as do that, focus on paying Benty off. Camara had some interest in Jan so I'd hold fire with him too until we get a bid. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he's good technically, as Redknapp says, then the last thing we want to do is sell him on the cheap. 

Surely, above all else, a manager/head coach worth his salt would be relishing the chance at taking a player who is said to be outstanding in training, i.e. technically, and coaching them to do it when it matters.

Blackman looks reasonable on the ball from the very, very limited viewings I have seen. However, I don't think any should praise or critique him based on his time at Derby. If we sell him or not, it doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well at another club. I'd be quite happy for him too. 

He seems like a very hard worker. I'm not sure how you can knock that, personally. If he's not good enough, he's not good enough. You can't turn a Mondeo into a formula one car. It's simply our fault for expecting that from him in the first place. If that proves to be the case, the blame lands on the shoulders of Clement and the scouting network in place. 

No vitriol from me, just common sense, who do we drop him for to give him his chance?

Unless we offload a lot of players he's currently behind Martin, Nugent, Bent and Ince who we know for definite can score one in two/three games, he's not really left sided so he's behind Russell and Wei-aye-man there. 

6 minutes ago, curb said:

No vitriol from me, just common sense, who do we drop him for to give him his chance?

I asked that too, no answer.

So it should be easy to sell him - best all round, he can start afresh at another club. I asked before who is he going to be picked instead of? So he may as well go. We'll see soon whether he wants to play or just sit around won't we.

8 hours ago, curb said:

Unless we offload a lot of players he's currently behind Martin, Nugent, Bent and Ince who we know for definite can score one in two/three games, he's not really left sided so he's behind Russell and Wei-aye-man there. 

If we're playing him,there is no point unless he plays his favoured right sided attacker/forward role.

Which would mean dropping Ince :blink:.

41 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fingers crossed! :D

Thanks for posting it properly I'm on my phone and not sure how to do it from there ?

40 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

It's Twitter so probably there's your answer.

That account does tend to be quite reliable.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

What does that mean in practice? 

Is it merely that IF he finds another club that will offer him an acceptable contract then we won't demand any fee?

Or have we offered to pay up his contract? 

Last bit of your post would be my guesswork. 

Free to leave does not mean leave for free...............just if another club comes in for him we will not stand in his way.......making clubs aware he is available .......  giving him the go ahead to find a new club........ up to his agent now .   He needs a fresh start to get his career back on track. Its part of football

Archived