Interesting stat.

Agadirram

4 teams reached the Championship Play-offs in 2016/17.

The 2 successful teams in reaching the play-off final had a combined goal difference of  +2

The 2 unsuccessful teams that failed to reach the play-off final had a combined goal difference of  +43

It`s not how you win nor by how many.......just win.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, clarkeram7 said:

And the top two? 

Top two clubs had a combined goal difference of  +79.

I thought the stat was interesting rather than definitive.

Regarding momentum, Reading took 22 points from their last 10 league games whereas Huddersfield managed only 12 so I suggest putting a substantial amount on Reading to gain promotion.............or Huddersfield.

13 hours ago, Agadirram said:

4 teams reached the Championship Play-offs in 2016/17.

The 2 successful teams in reaching the play-off final had a combined goal difference of  +2

The 2 unsuccessful teams that failed to reach the play-off final had a combined goal difference of  +43

It`s not how you win nor by how many.......just win.

All true but it doesn't bode well for them come the premiership 

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, ram59 said:

And Millwall, who weren't even in the playoffs with 5 minutes of the season remaining, have got promoted to the championship. 

And had 9 points lets than the 3rd placed team.

Italy have some rules for their play offs that the teams have to finish within so many points of each other to qualifiy.

18 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

And had 9 points lets than the 3rd placed team.

Italy have some rules for their play offs that the teams have to finish within so many points of each other to qualifiy.

What's the point of the play-offs if you introduce stuff like that? I hate Millwall, but they deserve to be in the Championship next season - them's the rules and jolly good one's they are too.

Sith Happens
Just now, RoyMac5 said:

What's the point of the play-offs if you introduce stuff like that? I hate Millwall, but they deserve to be in the Championship next season - them's the rules and jolly good one's they are too.

I think its about trying to make it fairer, ive had a look and it seems a bit weird how it works anyway, with upto 14 points being the gap so hardly seems worth it anyway.

I like the play offs i'd maybe like to see some better way to give more advantage to the team finishing 3rd and so on.

I was thinking about this the other day when they were discussing it on talk sport. I'd see something like the team finishing 3rd auto qualfying for the final. The 5th and 6th team play each other in a quarter final, then the winner plays the 4th team in the semi final who then play the 3rd place team in the final.

That way you would still get the same number of games, but it gives more incentive for a team to finish in a higher spot rather than the current advantages.

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I think its about trying to make it fairer, ive had a look and it seems a bit weird how it works anyway, with upto 14 points being the gap so hardly seems worth it anyway.

I like the play offs i'd maybe like to see some better way to give more advantage to the team finishing 3rd and so on.

I was thinking about this the other day when they were discussing it on talk sport. I'd see something like the team finishing 3rd auto qualfying for the final. The 5th and 6th team play each other in a quarter final, then the winner plays the 4th team in the semi final who then play the 3rd place team in the final.

That way you would still get the same number of games, but it gives more incentive for a team to finish in a higher spot rather than the current advantages.

I like the rugby league Super League play offs (not sure if they are still the same as they were).

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

What's the point, I also heard some of a radio chat and they said they know the rules at the start of the season, if they don't want to be in the play offs finish in the top 2.

I'm not sure the play offs are there to be fair? The league positions are about fairness, the play offs are about something else, a cup competition, a wildcard entry...

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What's the point, I also heard some of a radio chat and they said they know the rules at the start of the season, if they don't want to be in the play offs finish in the top 2.

I'm not sure the play offs are there to be fair? The league positions are about fairness, the play offs are about something else, a cup competition, a wildcard entry...

That's a fair point but I would say that are more about money than anything else

So how I would do it:-

3rd v 4th - winner goes straight to Wembley

5th v 6th - winner plays loser of 3rd v 4th 

All one off games so the higher finishing teams are rewarded with home advantage

Sith Happens
50 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah you are right, but then if that was the rule they would know that at the start of the season too. Might stop circumstances like huddersfield making 10 changes if they thought finishing 3rd or 4th would give them a significant advantage.

Why shouldnt something like this happen, it happens in other competitions. If you finish in top 4 you go to champions league but finishing higher gains you an advantage/direct entry into the main competition.

57 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I like the rugby league Super League play offs (not sure if they are still the same as they were).

I have no idea how that works.

9 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Yeah you are right, but then if that was the rule they would know that at the start of the season too. Might stop circumstances like huddersfield making 10 changes if they thought finishing 3rd or 4th would give them a significant advantage.

Why shouldnt something like this happen, it happens in other competitions. If you finish in top 4 you go to champions league but finishing higher gains you an advantage/direct entry into the main competition.

I have no idea how that works.

My next post gave a rough idea

The stat should have both Reading and Huddersfield planning on either a big summer or the 18/19 season in the Championship.

Tight defences are tested a bit more for the winner. And if they can't improve their goalscoring then they'll find it hard to turn games around. They're playing Benteke now rather than Chris Wood. Wingers with as good and better than Tom Ince and Anthony Knockaert right up the league. Central midfields that will remind them of playing Newcastle and Brighton every week.

They'll have to be more convincing. They're not as good at it as Boro!

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

My next post gave a rough idea

ok so not that unlike what i was thinking anyway, not sure i like the idea of someone losing a game but still having a chance to progress.

35 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

ok so not that unlike what i was thinking anyway, not sure i like the idea of someone losing a game but still having a chance to progress.

Well at the moment I don't see any advantage for 3rd and 4th place teams.

Home advantage in the 2nd leg doesn't really count for anything.

Sith Happens
9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well at the moment I don't see any advantage for 3rd and 4th place teams.

Home advantage in the 2nd leg doesn't really count for anything.

I'm with you on that. That's why I think putting 3rd straight to the final, a semi with the 4th place and 5th and 6th a qf seems a fair way of doing it. Won't happen as its all money as you said. 

I think we should be able to agree that using weakened teams can result in a loss of form, so any teams doing that to try to get a favorable play-off draw is playing a risky game.

And, I think many players just don't get it. Once the management starts giving an impression that winning some games is less important than others, there will be a dip in the performance of some players, and I don't think that it's the players' fault.

Archived