Health,Diet and Fitness.

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't bother going for long runs unless you are training for an endurance event.

Research HIIT instead. High intensity interval training. It has a much higher impact in a shorter period of time on your cardio vascular fitness.

Diet wise, cut out as much processed food as you can. Lots of protein, lean if possible, veg and whole grain carbohydrates are best. If you can't cook and hate cooking turkey, brown rice and broccoli is your go to dish. 

Lift weights. Research a training regime to suit you. Some do whole body routines, others do isolation days where you work a specific muscle group for that session.

Slow progress is better than starving yourself and acting like Ronnie Coleman in the gym. Think if you need to bulk up or cut down and adjust your calorie intake accordingly.

Eat less than what your body can burn.

Download myfitnesspal, available on both iOS and Android, it's a free app, enter all your details, set the calories you want to lose per week, scan the barcodes of everything you eat and drink, then start looking at size 8 dresses. 

Try to eat your carbs before 6pm, try to avoid adding extra salt to your meals, don't forget to count your ketchups and any kind of dressings, condiments, anything that goes in your mouth all counts including alcohol!

Oh and drink plenty of water.

Diets are always harder in the the first 2/3 weeks until your body adapts, get through those and it's easy after. 

They also say don't weigh yourself everyday but I prefer to, if you only weigh yourself once a week, that one morning you could be carrying extra water weight and become disillusioned. Always weigh yourself completely starkers before food and drink and after your morning tiddle and dump, just for fun try weighing yourself before and after one, you'd be surprised how much is in there.

See these women go to Weight Watchers at night, makes no sense, after a full day of eating and drinking isn't the best time to weigh yourself. 

8 minutes ago, KBB said:

Don't bother going for long runs unless you are training for an endurance event.

Research HIIT instead. High intensity interval training. It has a much higher impact in a shorter period of time on your cardio vascular fitness.

Diet wise, cut out as much processed food as you can. Lots of protein, lean if possible, veg and whole grain carbohydrates are best. If you can't cook and hate cooking turkey, brown rice and broccoli is your go to dish. 

Lift weights. Research a training regime to suit you. Some do whole body routines, others do isolation days where you work a specific muscle group for that session.

Slow progress is better than starving yourself and acting like Ronnie Coleman in the gym. Think if you need to bulk up or cut down and adjust your calorie intake accordingly.

Do you know any HIIT running programmes?

I'm a fairly conventional.

Chest,triceps.

Back,biceps

Shoulders and legs person.

I do throw in some intervals.I'm not sure Burpee's are an excercise or torture.

I try and run 3 times a week but I'm a plodder and I reckon I might be better with the HIIT stuff?

Insanity...... great workout.

Running..... best way to lose weight. Also helps clear the mind and gives you a bit of "me" time.

Drink plenty of water.

Eat well during the week, but don't deprive yourself of anything, if you fancy something..... have it.

55 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I haven't seen a thread on here about diet and exercise etc.

Be nice to get some tips or know what everyone's doing.

I'm fairly stuck in my ways so any new ideas appreciated.

I'd love to know Rowett's team training regime.

I don't bother with all that mularkey

5/2 diet works well for me because I don't have to think about it, and having a couple of lean days a week feels quite natural. I walk a lot and cycle because I enjoy being out and about. I have Laura Hamilton's app on my phone and watched it in the pub once. She looks alright. It all comes down to booze, really. If I moderate, I'm ok. 

3 hours ago, David said:

Download myfitnesspal, available on both iOS and Android, it's a free app, enter all your details, set the calories you want to lose per week, scan the barcodes of everything you eat and drink, then start looking at size 8 dresses. 

Try to eat your carbs before 6pm, try to avoid adding extra salt to your meals, don't forget to count your ketchups and any kind of dressings, condiments, anything that goes in your mouth all counts including alcohol!

Diets are always harder in the the first 2/3 weeks until your body adapts, get through those and it's easy after. 

They also say don't weigh yourself everyday but I prefer to, if you only weigh yourself once a week, that one morning you could be carrying extra water weight and become disillusioned. Always weigh yourself completely starkers before food and drink and after your morning tiddle and dump, just for fun try weighing yourself before and after one, you'd be surprised how much is in there.

See these women go to Weight Watchers at night, makes no sense, after a full day of eating and drinking isn't the best time to weigh yourself. 

With all the weight you say you've lost recently, won't a size 8 be a bit loose?

3 hours ago, David said:

This is what I do (bar the dresses...) after every winter. I'm a bit lazy in the fact that I drop my diet after the summer has finished but every year I pick it back up February/March time for the next 6 months or so. 

I don't track exercise mind, just what I eat/drink. My calorie intake is worked out by some fancy calculators made for "tracking macros" and it works every year for me. There are also options to maintain or gain weight if you want to put a bit of size on. After 5 weeks in Vegas this Jan/Feb I'm certainly looking to shed a bit! 

Not too fussed with anything else as far as eating portions, times and the amount of meals go. I hit my daily value, go to the gym and the weight comes off. Holiday in 4 weeks time so I might become a bit stricter in these next few weeks to lose a little more, either way I'm in better shape than I was 3 months ago that's for sure. 

Myfitnesspal is also an educational tool as well, makes you realise just how many calories are in food, after a while you kinda just know without all the scanning. 

324 calories in a tin of beans, 100 calories a slice of bread, throw on the butter maybe 20 calories a slice. 

Could be looking at almost 600 calories for something that will leave you hungry again in an hour and farting like a trooper.

Or how does 5 chicken breasts and a salad sound, pretty filling right? same amount calories. Drop 3 breasts and save yourself 300 calories.

Saying how educated I became, didn't stop me piling the weight on again :lol: 

In my defence though it was mainly alcohol and that is the most effective love handle generator there is.

I'm currently suffering from ileus, I suffered a ruptured appendix in 2011 and the good old NHS thought lying ten days in a bed without operating was the way forward, I lost three stone without eating for the entire ten days (saline), I now get regular bouts of inactive small bowel movement, I was referred back to the LRI five times in the first three months so I am looking to go through a fitness regime and fairly urgent, storing up trouble with my current lifestyle, any advice appreciated :thumbsup:

In all seriousness @LesterRam I know the pain, been pretty much laid up myself with bowel troubles, not fun at all. I was told to move around more yet the pain makes you want to lie down in front of Netflix all day, that and the belief you should always do the opposite what Grimsby hospital advise.

You don't need a fitness regime, just need to be vertical to help the bowels. No need to start pounding the streets in lycra, pick the hoover up and go round the house, will earn yourself brownie points with the missus as well.

I've gone gluten free as well, starting to feel the positive effects of that, some of the food tastes ***** 

1 hour ago, David said:

In all seriousness @LesterRam I know the pain, been pretty much laid up myself with bowel troubles, not fun at all. I was told to move around more yet the pain makes you want to lie down in front of Netflix all day, that and the belief you should always do the opposite what Grimsby hospital advise.

You don't need a fitness regime, just need to be vertical to help the bowels. No need to start pounding the streets in lycra, pick the hoover up and go round the house, will earn yourself brownie points with the missus as well.

I've gone gluten free as well, starting to feel the positive effects of that, some of the food tastes ***** 

No all gluten free food tastes pretty awful, £2.50 for 6 chalkie biscuits, gluten free pasta is truly horrific and the bread tends to be stale when fresh, I unfortunately refuse to keep to my gluten free diet, gluten gives me chronic mood swings and stops my bowel completely and I will go 3-4 days without the loo then spend a complete night on the toilet in severe pain, I am thinking about a stand up desk because has you pointed out scrunched over my PC is poor for your bowel movement, I am going to try your app you suggested.

1 hour ago, David said:

I've had exclusive access to Davids medical records.

I had to look up Idleious sausageasemia on Google.

GF now too? By eck, @AlexW dustrecon?

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I've had exclusive access to Davids medical records.

I had to look up Idleious sausageasemia on Google.

GF now too? By eck, @AlexW dustrecon?

He's not logged in for 4 years, doubt he would have an opinion 

3 hours ago, David said:

Myfitnesspal is also an educational tool as well, makes you realise just how many calories are in food, after a while you kinda just know without all the scanning. 

324 calories in a tin of beans, 100 calories a slice of bread, throw on the butter maybe 20 calories a slice. 

Could be looking at almost 600 calories for something that will leave you hungry again in an hour and farting like a trooper.

Or how does 5 chicken breasts and a salad sound, pretty filling right? same amount calories. Drop 3 breasts and save yourself 300 calories.

Saying how educated I became, didn't stop me piling the weight on again :lol: 

In my defence though it was mainly alcohol and that is the most effective love handle generator there is.

I'm going to give the app a go.

I'm also going to have to try and work out the weight of my poo,perhaps we should have a heaviest poo competition...or not???

Archived