Now then who can we realistically see going with contracts. .

Curtains

Hi @curtains - sorry if I am being thick, but is the question really asking "which of our currently contracted players could we see being attractive enough for other clubs to tempt away?"

Assuming that's it then I can see the sticking points being the contracts some of the players we would like to see are allegedly on. 

We'll have to take hits with a number and each hit would further constrain us with ffp so we will have limited appetite to move on all at once.

For what it's worth I see blackman,  Johnson,  Butterfield weimann vydra and anya still here next season for that reason.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, curtains said:

Rowett was talking about having two different groups if he has to.

One group he wants and the other group he doesn't  

Difficult to get people out with  contracts  

He wants to be careful, he'll have disgruntled players on his hands and some of our players have got form for getting managers out that cheese them off... allegedly. Got Mel on speed dial some of them apparently.

21 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

He wants to be careful, he'll have disgruntled players on his hands and some of our players have got form for getting managers out that cheese them off... allegedly. Got Mel on speed dial some of them apparently.

TBH even if that's true I think Mel has had enough of player power and is in for a bit of manager power now!

38 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

TBH even if that's true I think Mel has had enough of player power and is in for a bit of manager power now!

I would be amazed if your post turned out not to be totally spot on 

4 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

I get the feeling that Gaz is the man Mel has wanted/needed all along.

If Mel is/ has been a little too starry eyed round Derby players? it may well be relevant that rowett is a fairly recent ex Derby player and also one who was involved in a fairly decent and successful Derby team ,,, may well be a factor in the power dynamic ?

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wouldn't, Mel has backed every manager - he'll back Rowett. Plus I think maybe GR is 'his' choice.

I wouldn't be amazed if your post didn't not turn out not to be not totally not spot on.

46 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wouldn't, Mel has backed every manager - he'll back Rowett. Plus I think maybe GR is 'his' choice.

Been a long day ,,,, what I was saying was I think your post was spot on

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Hi @curtains - sorry if I am being thick, but is the question really asking "which of our currently contracted players could we see being attractive enough for other clubs to tempt away?"

Assuming that's it then I can see the sticking points being the contracts some of the players we would like to see are allegedly on. 

We'll have to take hits with a number and each hit would further constrain us with ffp so we will have limited appetite to move on all at once.

For what it's worth I see blackman,  Johnson,  Butterfield weimann vydra and anya still here next season for that reason.

This is the point I'm making if other clubs don't come in for the players Rowett decides are surplus to requirements and they are on decent contracts then it will be very difficult to get them to leave Derby County any time soon  

Desirable and we'll sell for big money:

Ince, Hughes, Martin

Under contract we'd do deals for:

Keogh, Pearce, Shakell, Butters, well most of them actually.

Ones we are probably lumped with:

Blackman, Vydra, Bent,

Ones i think Gary Rowett is intent on keeping:

Russell (just to annoy the haters), Baird, Bryson, Johnson, Fozzy, Anya.

Just now, curtains said:

This is the point I'm making if other clubs don't come in for the players Rowett decides are surplus to requirements and they are on decent contracts then it will be very difficult to get them to leave Derby County any time soon  

Got you, thanks.

Of course, you can't force a contracted player out even if you get clubs interested. 

For example,  Middlesbrough and us agreed on hulse but he didn't want to go. 

Even if we stumped up financially to ensure that the contracts were as lucrative,  if he doesn't want to go he can't be forced. 

18 minutes ago, curtains said:

Which in turn partly answers your question of why sell a best player.

If Rowett wants to bring in additions and cannot sell the dead wood, he may have to sell Ince to bring in the x amount of players he wants.

7 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Which in turn partly answers your question of why sell a best player.

If Rowett wants to bring in additions and cannot sell the dead wood, he may have to sell Ince to bring in the x amount of players he wants.

That's a good point but Rowett must be hoping for Mel to splash out a bit as well .

It is a really tricky balancing act as to which players should stay or go to be honest. 

19 minutes ago, curtains said:

That's a good point but Rowett must be hoping for Mel to splash out a bit as well .

It is a really tricky balancing act as to which players should stay or go to be honest. 

I get the impression its not so.much Mel splashing as a combination of FFP and a general realisation that the squad is bloated.

54 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Got you, thanks.

Of course, you can't force a contracted player out even if you get clubs interested. 

For example,  Middlesbrough and us agreed on hulse but he didn't want to go. 

Even if we stumped up financially to ensure that the contracts were as lucrative,  if he doesn't want to go he can't be forced. 

5 hours ago, curtains said:

I am sure he will but there has to be a reckoning and unless a miracle occurs and we move on the unwanted/unplayed/non-performers then we have to lose a good one or two and probably the likes of Ince or Keogh- I don't actually think Hughes stock is as well thought of outside of Derbyshire so the major money offer may not be there. The sale of Max Lowe could well be highly financially rewarding without hurting us so I would keep an eye out on that one this season. (Just a hunch)

17 hours ago, rynny said:

You could argue that both of them selling their best player made them worse off.

Spurs finished 5th in Bale's final season and finished 6th the year after then 5th when Kane broke into the first team.

Liverpool finished 2nd in Suarez's last season and 6th the following season, then 8th and this season between 3rd and 5th.

Both teams have spent vast amounts of money and made the team weaker with their surplus of cash. They had to pay big for players that just were not good enough.

That's the fear for me with Tom and Will. They are both saleable at good fees without a doubt, we might get to the Prem without them and with a team built on a certain work ethic but then the bill for buying players of their equivalent would be so much higher. And what you might buy would be unknown. Book value for those 2 if we keep them and get promoted soars ! Sell now and they are, in a sense, being sold in the wrong part of the cycle.

Archived