Name and shame yourself

David

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Name a manager here...... Jim Smith.....

Thought eh? When he was appointed..... but pulled absolute master strokes in the market in that first season or two (Simon Webster and David Preece aside).

Boy I was gladly wrong there. An average Derby side went to another level with him. 

You're spot on.  I thought the Bald Eagle was well past it, and would be gone before the end of the season.  Our poor form til November had me holding onto that belief.  Just goes to show what a little patience can do

Thought John Gregory was a stellar appointment.  Oooops!!!

Daryl Powell back in the day - Used to rinse him every game when he stepped in after Carsley left and over a period of time he developed into a great DM for us

David Nugent - Have always considered him bang average and massively over-rated - Now love him

Robbie Savage - I quit being a Derby fan for a whole day when we signed him I was so outraged - Grew to love him - Going off him again now

Then I reckon there were quite a few from the Premier League era that I got over-excited about who turned out to be rubbish

Surprises: Martin - been absolutely unbelievable for us. The amount of goals for somebody who didn't cost a single penny is astonishing really. Yes he can be mardy, throw himself on the floor, but I can't really think of many strikers we could afford within budget and that I would prefer over him. 

Eustace - fantastic pro and leader.

Dissapointments: 

Butterfield, Shackell (2nd time round, not been a patch on his first time in my view), Blackman, Vydra

Which ever players we have had good or bad thoughts about not ever player fits in a new team.

But I guarantee that those who currently play for us and get moved on will always show up on TV when they score/save a penalty have a great day in defence. And we will say "why didn't he do that for us?"

Why do they always have to be ex-Derby?

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

I wasn't happy (no idea why) when we signed John Gregory...and he turned out to be one of the most gifted footballers we have had....and then I was totally over the moon when we got him in as manager....didn't turn out quite as I hoped. 

Speaking of managers, I was gutted when we got Jim Smith, past it, not who we needed at all. 

When we signed Igor, I was excited because someone at work told me he was a striker, a Croatian striker had to be good, then his first game I found out he was a centre half and I was very dissapointed. 

But, as I have said on a few threads, my best ever was after going to see Man United one day I saw Ronaldo's first ever game for them and I told my friend in the way home that he was useless, a one trick pony, wouldn't make it and that I could mark him out of the game....

And wasn't his first game a 5-1 tonking by Tranmere (in which he scored)?

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We couldn't afford to pay the 50k for Svensson, I remember it well.

And fans have the Gaul to moan about Mel Morris....the dark days of Derby County are like Vietnam, You weren't there man!!!

EDIT: I have moaned about Mel Morris, short memory syndrome.

Svensson was great. He put more effort in during 10 loan games than some have in their entire Derby career.

15 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Which ever players we have had good or bad thoughts about not ever player fits in a new team.

But I guarantee that those who currently play for us and get moved on will always show up on TV when they score/save a penalty have a great day in defence. And we will say "why didn't he do that for us?"

Why do they always have to be ex-Derby?

BJ, totally didn't fit the Derby team he signed for.

Immense when 'The Derby Way' was finally broken.

1 minute ago, Lambchop said:

I thought Johnny Russell was going to be prolific. He's been 'out of form' for three years now. 

Eight goals and fifteen assists in 14/15, ten goals and eleven assists in 15/16… I'm not entirely sure you're correct there.

Just now, cannable said:

Eight goals and fifteen assists in 14/15, ten goals and eleven assists in 15/16… I'm not entirely sure you're correct there.

Be interesting to set this alongside a tally of missed chances, lost balls and dead end runs. 

The inner happy clapper part of me likes to give every new signing a fair crack of the whip so don't tend to right them off before that. However I do confess to thinking Connor Sammon would be a good signing. I saw him in a televised game for Wigan against Man Utd and he was a right handful, unsettling their back four. I thought if he can do that to international defenders then he'll smash the championship. It soon became apparent though that his touch was so bad that it was hard to tell if he was trapping the ball or shooting. 

Players:

I've been over optimistic about many players but the most obvious one is that I thought Sammon would be brilliant for us - how wrong can one man be.

I pretty much get excited by anybody we sign but I was mostly underwhelmed by the signing of Eustace (I thought he was good good but he'd had his day) - glad to say I was wrong on that one

Managers:

I got very excited at the arrival of Pearson, Nige and McLaren (both times) - not to be

I was totally underwhelmed by Jim Smith when he replaced McFarlane - oops

8 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

The inner happy clapper part of me likes to give every new signing a fair crack of the whip so don't tend to right them off before that. However I do confess to thinking Connor Sammon would be a good signing. I saw him in a televised game for Wigan against Man Utd and he was a right handful, unsettling their back four. I thought if he can do that to international defenders then he'll smash the championship. It soon became apparent though that his touch was so bad that it was hard to tell if he was trapping the ball or shooting. 

Aye, he had the close control of a brick wall

7 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I remember signing Junior from Walsall, It was in the days where you picked up a telegraph and find out if you had signed someone.

I ran home from the shop to tell me dad we had signed a Brazilian who looked the real deal for Walsall.  It didn't quite work.

Vydra - There are countless posts over the years on various forums where I say what a dream it would be to sign Vydra. So when we did last year I was buzzing...I argued with mates who had written him off from day 1, I still stick up for him to this day.....I just hope he justifies my support, any day now.

To be fair to Junior, I thought he'd been decent in a poor side until Forest did his knee in and he never recovered from it.

Archived