Name and shame yourself

David

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
clarkeram7

The bad:

Albentosa.. we drove him over in a private jet, he was that good! 

Benny Feilhaber: Never got a kick, yet had one really good game against Liverpool at home.

Conor Doyle: didn't really have huge hopes but god was he bad, convinced he actually couldn't play football and we'd just signed him as a favour to the Yanks.

Good:

Andre Wisdom: Thought we'd signed a young kid, turned out to be an absolute beast.

Paul Dickov: so clever!

Shefki Kuqi: Dropped for the 'admiral' Like Moore and so did the results. Clough couldn't see why.. still the funniest moment ever when Claude Davis played him in with a trade mark error.

clarkeram7

Sort of off topic because it didn't surprise me but the most underwhelming signing of all time had to be getting Micheal Boulding out of retirement. 

I thought Blackman was going to be a quality signing. Was also excited when we signed Ince and Bent, suppose Ince has been decent and Bent not bad.

The one I thought would be the best was Francois Grenet! Genuinely believed the hype that the only reason he wasn't in the French team was Lilian Thuram!! He couldn't kick a ball for than 20 yards! He was awful!

I doubted the signing of Tony Dorigo, thought he was past it...how wrong I was. Absolute class!

John Eustace - Couldn't see the benefit in signing him, other than to add a bit of character to the dressing room. How wrong I was...

I also thought Raul Albentosa would be the answer to our defensive problems. Still think he might have done alright had he not come into a team that was falling apart at the seams...or should I say, insoles? 

I remember signing Junior from Walsall, It was in the days where you picked up a telegraph and find out if you had signed someone.

I ran home from the shop to tell me dad we had signed a Brazilian who looked the real deal for Walsall.  It didn't quite work.

Vydra - There are countless posts over the years on various forums where I say what a dream it would be to sign Vydra. So when we did last year I was buzzing...I argued with mates who had written him off from day 1, I still stick up for him to this day.....I just hope he justifies my support, any day now.

10 hours ago, David said:

Which players past and present have made you say, I got that one wrong.

You see the back page of the DET, hear the signing announced on Radio Derby or more recently a tweet....X player has signed for Derby and you thought that's a great signing and turned out to be a right Pete Tongeun.

Or why the hell have we signed him, turned out to be a right Bobby Dazzler.

Name and shame yourself....

Mo Konjic-thought he would be good...

Chris Baird-thought he would be bad...

I'll be boring.

Whenever we have signed a player I've always given them chance to prove themselves as a derby player.

For me, it doesn't matter what they cost or the reputation they come with. 

You can be world class for one club and utter dog turd for the next club ( Shevchenko & Torres spring to mind ).

Having said that, I did a little wee when we signed Nugent ( just love the type of player he is ).

:p

I tend not to have strong opinions on Derby players until I've seen them play for us a few times because I know I'm the type of person who would feel it necessary to defend my original assessment even as it became increasingly obvious that I was wrong.

I thought Paul Connolly was a good signing and just the kind of steady presence we needed at the back.

I was really pleased when we signed Rob Lee. I thought he'd pull the strings in the middle and lead us to promotion. Turns out he was past it and after one last paycheque before retirement.

I'm pretty sure I thought Sammon would come good at Championship level. Not sure what I was basing that on.

I definitely thought/hoped that Nigel Clough would lead us not just to the Premiership, but some top 10 finishes once we got there. I still think he was a good manager, just nowhere near as good as my starry eyed optimism suggested.

24 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I remember signing Junior from Walsall, It was in the days where you picked up a telegraph and find out if you had signed someone.

I ran home from the shop to tell me dad we had signed a Brazilian who looked the real deal for Walsall.  It didn't quite work.

Vydra - There are countless posts over the years on various forums where I say what a dream it would be to sign Vydra. So when we did last year I was buzzing...I argued with mates who had written him off from day 1, I still stick up for him to this day.....I just hope he justifies my support, any day now.

Junior scored at the Shitty ground so he's a legend!

I thought Jewell and Pearson would do well for us so I can't judge Manager's!

Loads of players have not lived up to my optimism when I see them holding up our shirt, Blackman in the current squad.

I believe GR will be a success and our new signings will be great, no more Conor Doyle's and Eddie Lewis' please!

I wasn't happy (no idea why) when we signed John Gregory...and he turned out to be one of the most gifted footballers we have had....and then I was totally over the moon when we got him in as manager....didn't turn out quite as I hoped. 

Speaking of managers, I was gutted when we got Jim Smith, past it, not who we needed at all. 

When we signed Igor, I was excited because someone at work told me he was a striker, a Croatian striker had to be good, then his first game I found out he was a centre half and I was very dissapointed. 

But, as I have said on a few threads, my best ever was after going to see Man United one day I saw Ronaldo's first ever game for them and I told my friend in the way home that he was useless, a one trick pony, wouldn't make it and that I could mark him out of the game....

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I was similar with Junior in that he was Brazilian,had a nick name as a real name and had funky hair.

It didn't matter if he was any good.

11 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I was similar with Junior in that he was Brazilian,had a nick name as a real name and had funky hair.

Junior was great when partnered with Matt Svensson. When we couldn't afford to make his loan deal permanent it all went wrong.

3 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Junior was great when partnered with Matt Svensson. When we couldn't afford to make his loan deal permanent it all went wrong.

We couldn't afford to pay the 50k for Svensson, I remember it well.

And fans have the Gaul to moan about Mel Morris....the dark days of Derby County are like Vietnam, You weren't there man!!!

EDIT: I have moaned about Mel Morris, short memory syndrome.

36 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

He also scored loads for a poor Walsall team. I thought it was a great signing.

I had high hopes for Mark Pembridge. He always seemed to be scoring long range wonder goals for Luton (I think it was).

Archived