Lee Grant

David

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Still poor keeper, whose inadequacy was well protected by Stoke's CB's.

That makes no sense as one of the Stoke CB's would be holding 3 player of the season awards and not Grant.

A poor keeper will still cost you goals no matter what defence you have, they may limit the opportunities but mistakes will clearly be made.

Stick a decent keeper behind a poor defence and they will still struggle as they need the defence to do its job.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, David said:

That makes no sense as one of the Stoke CB's would be holding 3 player of the season awards and not Grant.

A poor keeper will still cost you goals no matter what defence you have, they may limit the opportunities but mistakes will clearly be made.

Stick a decent keeper behind a poor defence and they will still struggle as they need the defence to do its job.

Ie Pickford. Arguably the best keeper in the league this season. But his team still shipped more goals than any other and finished last. 

On 5/18/2017 at 08:25, Dimmu said:

Still poor keeper, whose inadequacy was well protected by Stoke's CB's. Good reactions though and lots of airiness in his shot stopping which always works well for fans. Wasn't he player of year for Burnley too? Similar keeper, Antti Niemi, used to be fan's player of the year where ever he went. Showy fellows both of them.

Well behind Carson, we surely sold right one.

Just wanted to chime in to say how wrong this is, we had conceded 14 goals in 5 games before signing him and our defence has not been great this year at all. I don't think there are many Stoke fans that think we would have stayed up without him.

Was really glad he left. The business about him apparently being injured and Eric Steele saying he mustn't play but McClaren insisting he did (and why didn't Grant have a say in it?) never made any sense. Something weird was clearly going on, but Granty kept gifting the opposition goal after goal and the team became completely demoralized as a result. If you can't trust your keeper you have no chance.

Glad he's taken his opportunity at Stoke. Very glad we have Carson instead. Worried we don't appear to have any decent cover, but I'll be interested to see what Rowett thnks of Roos. I've made my opinion of Mitchell's (lack of) prospects very clear on here before.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Was really glad he left. The business about him apparently being injured and Eric Steele saying he mustn't play but McClaren insisting he did (and why didn't Grant have a say in it?) never made any sense. Something weird was clearly going on, but Granty kept gifting the opposition goal after goal and the team became completely demoralized as a result. If you can't trust your keeper you have no chance.

Glad he's taken his opportunity at Stoke. Very glad we have Carson instead. Worried we don't appear to have any decent cover, but I'll be interested to see what Rowett thnks of Roos. I've made my opinion of Mitchell's (lack of) prospects very clear on here before.

I don't trust our keeper... :huh:

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 23:06, Duracell said:

Very true he had a poor end to that season but I'm sure I was told by Sage that he was playing with injury. I also think any back 5 is likely to be exposed and make costly errors with no protection in front of them - we finished that season with all three CDMs (even our flimsy Spanish one) out injured, but continued to play a style that pretended we still had one anyway,

Can't say I lose much sleep over him leaving considering we replaced him with a goalkeeper just as good, and we received a good fee for him.

I like Lee Grant. Solid stopper and a good pro. One of those who'll probably return as a coach one day.

FTFY

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I've made my opinion of Mitchell's (lack of) prospects very clear on here before.

I feel quite bad for Mitchell. He has everything BUT he's small which completely kills him as a 'keeper.

Archived