Lee Grant

Day

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's any hiding from what a poor season he had for us in 14/15 compared to his previous, seriously under-performed. No great surprise to see a new manager bring in another GK. Just the way football goes sometimes. 

He's been absolutely class every time I've seen him this year though, so fair play to him for that. Good pro, never seemed to kick up a fuss at being number two here. Maybe we'll see a few more of our outgoings who take on a new challenge step up to the plate like Granty has done. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I don't think there's any hiding from what a poor season he had for us in 14/15 compared to his previous, seriously under-performed. No great surprise to see a new manager bring in another GK. Just the way football goes sometimes. 

Very true he had a poor end to that season but I'm sure I've read somewhere that he was playing with injury. I also think any back 5 is likely to be exposed and make costly errors with no protection in front of them - we finished that season with all three CDMs (even our flimsy Spanish one) out injured, but continued to play a style that pretended we still had one anyway,

Can't say I lose much sleep over him leaving considering we replaced him with a goalkeeper just as good, and we received a good fee for him.

I like Lee Grant. Solid stopper and a good pro. One of those who'll probably return as a coach one day.

16 minutes ago, David said:

Swear I read on here plenty that he was useless, Flappy Grant and all that

Very happy for Granty. 

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Very true he had a poor end to that season but I'm sure I've read somewhere that he was playing with injury. I also think any back 5 is likely to be exposed and make costly errors with no protection in front of them - we finished that season with all three CDMs (even our flimsy Spanish one) out injured, but continued to play a style that pretended we still had one anyway,

Can't say I lose much sleep over him leaving considering we replaced him with a goalkeeper just as good, and we received a good fee for him.

I like Lee Grant. Solid stopper and a good pro. One of those who'll probably return as a coach one day.

You're right, was injured.

Also have no complaints over selling him, as you say just as good as Carson, take your pick, both are top keepers to have, can't keep them both happy. 

Just another example of a player being harshly written off by so many, no understanding at all that all footballers go through good/bad patches of form.

Quick to shout get rid like players are somehow easily disposable.

Anyhow, pleased for him.  

Jason Statham and Lee Grant in the same day, not sure if I should be flattered or not, feel like I've gone under some Gok Wan online makeover I wasn't aware of.

I have been follicly challenged for years now, being sheared isn't new. Although I must say I have taken control and this is not completely out of my hands. I made myself more aero dynamic to get to the toilet quicker. 

30 minutes ago, David said:

You're right, was injured.

Also have no complaints over selling him, as you say just as good as Carson, take your pick, both are top keepers to have, can't keep them both happy. 

Just another example of a player being harshly written off by so many, no understanding at all that all footballers go through good/bad patches of form.

Quick to shout get rid like players are somehow easily disposable.

Anyhow, pleased for him.  

Came out at the end of that season that he was injured but the manager insisted on playing him. Made Granty look poor when it was a terrible decision to play him.

Terrible keeper.....was poor all season. 

Credit to him if he has turned his form around but i wouldn't want him back.

A tear in his calf muscle wasn't it?

Complained about it when he reached up and extended the leg I think was mentioned?

There were a couple of uncharacteristic spills from easy catches. Birmingham and Wolves? The Wolves one was where he chose to punch.

I find it hard to call bullshit but some will.

He's not a terrible keeper. He's had a good career as a professional footballer and has proved himself capable of playing at the top level.

He possibly needs a commanding cb in front of him, Shawcross is a good example, as he's not great at coming off his line for high balls but he's athletic, quick and a good shot-stopper. 

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Not sure that's entirely true… he was my POTS in 14/15 until his wappy spell. 

Grant's ability on the ball was vastly underrated. Right-foot, left-foot, clips over the striker's head to a defender, zipped passes to the DM. He was as vital to playing from the back as Keogh or Bucko ever were. 

Biggest compliment I can give him is that, as good a 'keeper as Butland was, we missed Granty.

39 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

He's not a terrible keeper.

I can't think of any other keeper who made so many howlers, and such terrible gaffs.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Not sure that's entirely true… he was my POTS in 14/15 until his wappy spell. 

Fair play, just the beauty of how people see things. I thought he was ok until the back end where he totally lost his head. I have sympathy and admiration for him that he played on through injury but his form wasn't purely down to that. He made some very daft decisions. 

A shakey back 4 infront of a shakey keeper was destined to fail and it did. 

Still poor keeper, whose inadequacy was well protected by Stoke's CB's. Good reactions though and lots of airiness in his shot stopping which always works well for fans. Wasn't he player of year for Burnley too? Similar keeper, Antti Niemi, used to be fan's player of the year where ever he went. Showy fellows both of them.

Well behind Carson, we surely sold right one.

9 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I am struck by the amazing facial resemblance of @David and Lee. Were you his white twin, separated at birth?

yeah but David's addiction took its toll, the drugs, the alcohol abuse (lambrini) the depression (watching the rams) and now poor old 21 year old David now looks like 35 year old Lee Grant, its a real shame :blink:

Was absolutely woeful in the run in 14-15, and is nowhere near the level of Carson. On a free for us he was alright tho tbf, and I'm glad we got some money out of him. Didn't want to ever see him in goal for us again after that wolves game mind, and luckily we very rarely did. Hope he enjoys his retirement now butlands back

Archived