Aaron Mooy

BuckoBeast

20 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'd also content that `lower clubs' is hard to define. He had previously played for the Champions of Asia, and his quality as a player was pretty well known internationally before this year. 

D.O.B. 15 September 1990 - so he's 27 as the new season starts.

His clubs (from Wiki):

Bolton Wanderers
St Mirren
Western Sydney Wanderers
Melbourne City
Manchester City
Huddersfield Town

All bar Hudds (now) and Man City who he hasn't played for I think, are what might be termed 'lower clubs'.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

D.O.B. 15 September 1990 - so he's 27 as the new season starts.

His clubs (from Wiki):

Bolton Wanderers
St Mirren
Western Sydney Wanderers
Melbourne City
Manchester City
Huddersfield Town

All bar Hudds (now) and Man City who he hasn't played for I think, are what might be termed 'lower clubs'.

To be fair, us and Huddersfield would be classed as lower teams by those same standards. 

1 hour ago, Albert said:

To be fair, us and Huddersfield would be classed as lower teams by those same standards. 

The point being he could have been picked up cheaply - for a Barker even.

So can our 'scouts' and manager find players prior to them suddenly selling for silly prices?

Its a good point RoyMac5... I can't remember the last cheap gem we un-earthed.

Its a valid point surely to question our scouting network as to what exactly they are looking at or for ??

I think Steve Macs lad is still part of the scouting set up.....

Maybe a total overhaul of scouting department is required ...

24 minutes ago, Saity said:

Its a valid point surely to question our scouting network as to what exactly they are looking at or for ??

Bryson Martin Russell ward Forsyth- less than £1.5 for the lot of them

44 minutes ago, Saity said:

Unless I missed something I don't think that the current management team have signed anybody yet. We heard what Rowett has said about the type of players he is after. Shall we wait until he's actually gone back on that before we start having another go?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

So can our 'scouts' and manager find players prior to them suddenly selling for silly prices?

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Unless I missed something I don't think that the current management team have signed anybody yet. We heard what Rowett has said about the type of players he is after. Shall we wait until he's actually gone back on that before we start having another go?

No one is having a go as you put it.....the scouting department has not done very well over the last few years in a lot of peoples eyes. all i am saying is maybe on reflection maybe an overhaul is required...

1 hour ago, Saity said:

I think we've had it. Rowett is now central and in control. I'd hope to see more Bryson's than Bradley Johnson's this summer.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Bryson Martin Russell ward Forsyth- less than £1.5 for the lot of them

All under Clough, thats a while ago now , but nothing for last couple of years at least.

We never tap into the european market either

2 minutes ago, Saity said:

All under Clough, thats a while ago now , but nothing for last couple of years at least.

So do you think we've been good in the scouting department over the last 2 years ? what i am trying to say is....if something is not producing it might need looking at or are you content with how its been since Maclaren,Clement and Pearson have been here ?

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

To be fair, it's highly unlikely that we'd have been paying much attention to a player in Bolton's reserves and St Mirren's bench…

17 minutes ago, Saity said:

So do you think we've been good in the scouting department over the last 2 years ? what i am trying to say is....if something is not producing it might need looking at or are you content with how its been since Maclaren,Clement and Pearson have been here ?

It has been different people involved with all of those managers though.  The only real over lap was Mac to Clement with Chris Evans but he was gone by September/October time when Clement was in charge.

31 minutes ago, Saity said:

Four scots and one northern Irish ( well on paper anyway) all good value though

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

It has been different people involved with all of those managers though.  The only real over lap was Mac to Clement with Chris Evans but he was gone by September/October time when Clement was in charge.

Very true and to be fair to Mac he used the loan market to great effect with Wisdom,Thorne,Bamford,Butland and Ibe for example but it just seems we miss out on good young players that would've enhanced our team without actually spending a fortune. Bartley - Leeds , Abraham - Bristol City - Mooy,Palmer,Brown - Huddersfield and even Brighton picked up Knockheart from the french league i think it was.

I'm not saying we could sign all of them btw but it would be nice to see us pick up a player or two that doesn't cost us big money.

Thats what scouts are meant to be looking for - anyway hopefully GR will sort it this summer ( as difficult as it is )

44 minutes ago, cannable said:

To be fair, it's highly unlikely that we'd have been paying much attention to a player in Bolton's reserves and St Mirren's bench…

You think Cloughie might have spotted him at St Mirren?! :D

(Forgive me for this if it's wrong)

Mooy is basically Bradley Johnson. Central player who is strong and can play with a drive (when on form)

now if Bradley played for a big club, and had just had a similar season, he would be being linked with Prem clubs for similar fees (£10mill plus) is Bradley worth that...no, even though we paid a hefty sum after he had a career season. 

Mooy isn't a player worth the figure that's being thrown around. But the fact he's in form and currently plays for a big club means he's seen as valuable. Bet you could get a similar player for next to nothing in another league...or just play Bradley Johnson and get him some form

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Only before he came to Australia really. He was interested in one place and one place only when he left the Wanderers, Melbourne City. If I recall right he actually turned advances from overseas at the time as well. It seems that move paid off for him as well.

It is rare that players actually have such jumps in prices, people just tend to remember the ones that do. For every Mooy out there you'll find dozens of Baileys and Butterfields. 

3 hours ago, r4derby said:

(Forgive me for this if it's wrong)

Mooy is basically Bradley Johnson. Central player who is strong and can play with a drive (when on form)

now if Bradley played for a big club, and had just had a similar season, he would be being linked with Prem clubs for similar fees (£10mill plus) is Bradley worth that...no, even though we paid a hefty sum after he had a career season. 

Mooy isn't a player worth the figure that's being thrown around. But the fact he's in form and currently plays for a big club means he's seen as valuable. Bet you could get a similar player for next to nothing in another league...or just play Bradley Johnson and get him some form

He's literally nothing like Bradley Johnson. He's a dainty little ball player who has beefed up a bit, but not that much. He relies on his control on the ball and ability to pick the right pass. 

Him back in his Wanderers days:

Him for Melbourne City, though the style of this video is worse:

Archived