Aaron Mooy

BuckoBeast

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep reading that Hughes "dominated Mooy" at our place. No he didn't at all. Huddersfield played for a draw and got a draw. Mooy was part of the team who nullified our attack(we only scored through a deflection). There's a reason why premier league teams are linked with Mooy, whereas none at the moment are linked with Hughes. Mooy is class and would instantly improve any of the bottom half premier league teams.

31 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Eustace had no pace but was an absolute rock for us. Lot of focus these days on physical attributes and not enough on footballing brains.

You need a balance. The reason why eustace worked so well is because he could focus on what he did best- being the rock in midfield. Hendrick and Bryson did all of his running for him. That's the reason why our team in 13/14 was so good, it had the right mix of athleticism and technique. You don't want a team full of runners but you don't want a team full of players with technique either because it makes you predictable. You need players to stretch the opposition defence when playing against teams sitting 10 men behind the ball.

10 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I keep reading that Hughes "dominated Mooy" at our place. No he didn't at all. Huddersfield played for a draw and got a draw. Mooy was part of the team who nullified our attack(we only scored through a deflection). There's a reason why premier league teams are linked with Mooy, whereas none at the moment are linked with Hughes. Mooy is class and would instantly improve any of the bottom half premier league teams.

Hughes is also class and would improve any of the bottom half Prem teams - but perhaps he's not for sale or doesn't want to go! Whereas Mooy's agent said (and I posted this at the start of this thread) that whatever Hudds result Mooy would be playing in the Prem next season, ie for sale or with Hudds.

Mooy would be unreal, I saw that Sheffield Wednesday were linked with him yesterday. I'm fairly confident there's not a chance in hell we can pull this signing off as it's way above our price capacity this summer and highly doubt he'd choose us over a club in the prem. 

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

Eustace had no pace but was an absolute rock for us. Lot of focus these days on physical attributes and not enough on footballing brains.

This is very accurate. George Thorne has no pace either, will anyone say he's not good enough? I think midfield is all about the speed of thought in which the player can see a pass, rather than the speed they can run.

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

Mooy would be unreal, I saw that Sheffield Wednesday were linked with him yesterday. I'm fairly confident there's not a chance in hell we can pull this signing off as it's way above our price capacity this summer and highly doubt he'd choose us over a club in the prem. 

How much do you think Man City paid for him? According to Wiki he could have been had on a free a couple of times...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Mooy#Club_career

Just now, RamsPolls said:

I don't know how much Man City paid for him? To be honest that wasn't my point. The price of him now is being touted around at £10m+ not going to come here. 

The point being he could have been bought for less than a Barker, that's what I hope GR is looking for.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

This is very accurate. George Thorne has no pace either, will anyone say he's not good enough? I think midfield is all about the speed of thought in which the player can see a pass, rather than the speed they can run.

Because it is all about the balance in midfield. You need to have a range of attributes.

Remember Tommy Doc's 3 Van Goghs? Daly, Rioch and Masson? 1 great midfielder, 1 good and 1 ok and they didn't work as they didn't provide balance.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Because it is all about the balance in midfield. You need to have a range of attributes.

Remember Tommy Doc's 3 Van Goghs? Daly, Rioch and Masson? 1 great midfielder, 1 good and 1 ok and they didn't work as they didn't provide balance.

Van Goughs ? ................more like Jackson Pollocks !

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Thorne does have pace, he's the best recovery tackler I've ever seen here. Even when they get past him he still gets back to them. Plus he makes good bursting runs in to the box.

39 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Thorne does have pace, he's the best recovery tackler I've ever seen here. Even when they get past him he still gets back to them. Plus he makes good bursting runs in to the box.

I wouldn't say Thorne has any pace. Agree with him being a fantastic recovery tackler though.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

I wouldn't say Thorne has any pace. Agree with him being a fantastic recovery tackler though.

Therein lies the problem.

He's not quick because he has been injured, therefore he has to make last ditch tackles which makes him susceptible to injury.

The poor lad can't win.

3 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

He may be a good tackler but seems to struggle with recovery 

On 6/1/2017 at 19:16, RoyMac5 said:

The point being he could have been bought for less than a Barker, that's what I hope GR is looking for.

Well, he couldn't have been actually. His transfer was between Melbourne City FC club and Manchester City FC, two members of the City Football Group; he wasn't going anywhere else for that money. 

To be honest it's a bit odd we're even discussing him here, Huddersfield looks like they want him to stay. We're not offering him Premier League football, and it's more likely another team playing Premier League football next year would get him than us right now. 

Even If we could get Mooy I'd leave him alone for two reasons.

1/  hes over priced and 2/  hes a player who slows the game down and we have a few of them already, eg Butterfield.

If you watch Huddersfield play when he gets the ball he slows the whole game down considerably and you need players like that I but feel we have them types already.

If the balance is to be right we actually need a few forward thinking quicker tempo players in midfield

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Well, he couldn't have been actually. His transfer was between Melbourne City FC club and Manchester City FC, two members of the City Football Group; he wasn't going anywhere else for that money. 

Previous to that he'd been playing for 'lower clubs', and how do you know what the fee between the City's was.

But I agree with Saity's assessment, not that impressed in the few Hudds games I saw and not what we need imo. Plus as I already said his agent said he was gonna play in the Prem whatever happened in the POs.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Previous to that he'd been playing for 'lower clubs', and how do you know what the fee between the City's was.

But I agree with Saity's assessment, not that impressed in the few Hudds games I saw and not what we need imo. Plus as I already said his agent said he was gonna play in the Prem whatever happened in the POs.

It was very widely reported within the Australia media what was going on. Basically, Manchester City hoovers up anyone who wants a bigger wage than Melbourne City are allowed to offer (Australia has a salary cap), and anyone that they aren't allowed to buy that they want (no fee paying transfers are allowed between A-league clubs), and then they're loaned back to Melbourne City. The problem was that the Football Federation of Australia have been closing these loopholes. That said, they still have Anthony Cáceres and Luke Brattan on loan, both of whom are notionally on loan from Manchester City, though in effect just Melbourne City players.  

For the record though, it is known that Melbourne City had turned down in excess of £1 million from Al Nassr before the move, whatever notional value was put on a player moving between two of the City group. 

I'd also content that `lower clubs' is hard to define. He had previously played for the Champions of Asia, and his quality as a player was pretty well known internationally before this year. 

Archived