Ellafella

The Old Bell & William Morley

26 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Well done fella!

We all like to see stuff like this - well, i do at anyrate - but most of us don't have the time to sort stuff out. Its people like you who actually get things done that will mean summat to many Derby fans, and Derby folk who may not be particularly interested on football but who have a passing interest in the history of our glorious city.

I'll defo pop in for a pint next time i'm in town just to look at the photo.

Cheers!

You are a gentleman, Sir! thank you for your kind words. I think we all owe it to William Morley and Peter Seddon. 

Edited by Ellafella

Just a brief update...this is still a work “in progress”. After a long hiatus, I have managed to gain the support of Anton Rippon who has joined the cause. My motivation has been piqued recently by my seeing a plaque to Notts County in the Hockley area. I’ll keep you posted...

E68EEA09-C13C-433C-9538-E4FFB728E5BC.jpeg

20 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

This is a page from the minutes of the committee that clearly shows they held regular meetings in the old bell. ,

0AA1E683-3FD2-4C10-B9A4-10086D54B870.jpeg

Fabulous stuff @loweman2. If that date is April 1884, then those are the notes of the Cricket Club, yes? I can see that William Morley is present but the football club proposal wasn't made until early May of 1884. 

Edited by Ellafella

39 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Fabulous stuff @loweman2. If that date is April 1884, then those are the notes of the Cricket Club, yes? I can see that William Morley is present but the football club proposal wasn't made until early May of 1884. 

ps @loweman2 do you still have W J Morley's cigar stubb and whisky glass from that meeting? 🤫

Edited by Ellafella

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

ps @loweman2 do you still have W J Morley's cigar stubb and whisky glass from that meeting? 🤫

Hi @Ellafella mate, turns out it wasn’t his after all, the guy messaged me and said he was awfully sorry, turned out it was winston Churchill’s cigar that he was smoking as he made that speech about fighting them on the beaches ! 

Every cloud and all that.

also that board meeting was from 1888, the very start of the football league and the minutes are all about how they got into the football league ahead of other teams.

if you pm me I will send you a copy of the book, happy new year mate 👍🐏

On 17/05/2017 at 08:54, BathRam72 said:

Maybe they could sell Ram Burgers

Could do but probably would be a bit hot and cold, and inconsistent especially around January. They could do a Keogh burger for people to love or hate😀

Anton Rippon has done a piece on this in Friday's Derby Telegraph with a poll. Please would you vote in the poll to support the idea of a commemorative plaque. Please forgive the personal story...I'm not doing this to gain self-publicity. I passionately believe though that the rich history of our great Club's beginnings should be as widely known as possible and marked and celebrated locally. Thanks. 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/should-derby-county-birthplace-official-2388843

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Anton Rippon has done a piece on this in Friday's Derby Telegraph with a poll. Please would you vote in the poll to support the idea of a commemorative plaque. Please forgive the personal story...I'm not doing this to gain self-publicity. I passionately believe though that the rich history of our great Club's beginnings should be as widely known as possible and marked and celebrated locally. Thanks. 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/should-derby-county-birthplace-official-2388843

96% voted yes. Good work Ellafella. 

IMG_20190106_103508.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Just in case anybody hasn’t had the pleasure yet...

So... What... Are we expected to finish this off ourselves?  Is self-pleasuring allowed on this forum?  

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

So... What... Are we expected to finish this off ourselves?  Is self-pleasuring allowed on this forum?  

...what you do in the comfort of your own home is entirely your affair @Mucker1884,,,

That said, I will take this forward in the near future and keep the Forum posted of any subsequent developments, 

Ah, so despite the ellipsis hinting at more to come (within the same post), what you really meant was "Bump"?

Good cause though... I voted the other day.

(Have the votes been stuck on 96/4 right through?  It's never stated any different, every time I've looked!)  

Best o' luck with this, Ellafella.  I like it... a lot.  happy0034.gif