Sharapova

McRamFan

19 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I don't see much distinction between drug cheats and athletes using science to enhance their performance - such as altitude training.

Sports people take all sorts of supplements all the time. It's all cheating.

There is quite a difference in that every sport has rules and regulations that competitors have to obey - if altitude training is legal, then it's not a problem if someone uses it to help their preparation. Where there's a clear rule that says certain performance enhancing drugs are banned and yet someone still uses them, then a line has been crossed and they should be kicked out...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
5 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

She's not my type. Too loud. 

I think folks have a black and white approach to drugs 'cheats'. Often there is a grey area but people won't accept it. "She was convicted!!!" Yeah, and so was Ched Evans. 

She's a tennis player. That's her job. I imagine that's all she knows how to do. She's taken a massive hit financially and arguably lost  two years of her prime. I don't understand the need to keep kicking people once they have got back up from their original kicking. Whether that original kicking was deserved or not. She's hardly John Venables. 

Unless Sharapova is proven to have actually been innocent its not a good comparison.

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I don't see much distinction between drug cheats and athletes using science to enhance their performance - such as altitude training.

Sports people take all sorts of supplements all the time. It's all cheating.

I dont agree.

If you use the argument altitude training is not a natural way of training we may aswell ban treadmills and weights and make sports people train solely outside using natural resources.

Drugs are totally different IMO. Its not only cheating but potentially dangerous too. It needs to be a level playing field. I suppose you could say ok well allow all sports people to take drugs but i think that becomes a very dangerous place to be.

Sith Happens
20 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Is Sharapova really that bad?

I didn't think there was any proof that she purposely took performance-enhancing drugs. Wasn't it a drug which wasn't on the banned list previously, then by the time it was the name had changed.

I'm sure she wouldn't have taken them knowing they were on the banned list as it would have only been a matter of time before she was found out.

Seeing as she came out and admitted it, doesn't that make you think that pehaps she was just naive or ill-informed on the matter? It's not like it was one long cover-up story like Lance Armstrong.

I don't know all the facts on the case so feel free to tell me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is, and i may be wrong, but it was published the drug would become illegal. But because it was legal her team had never declared she was on it so she wasnt written to specifically with guidance.

She may be the victim of poor information but thats up to her to ensure the team she employs gives her the right information.

I do think she has served her ban and should be allowed to compete, but as an ex offender should have more checks (which she probably has to anyway).

I also think she should get no preferrential treatment over wild cards, she should be treated like any other player.

Archived