Grant Hanley - Signed for Norwich

David

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McLovin said:

And those expecting passing around the back between the centre backs next season are in for a shock. Only reason Shackell and Pearce looked clumsy under Clement and McClaren respectively is because both wanted to play it out from the back whereas Rowett said he wants to get it to the forwards as quickly as possible.

So you expecting hoof or long accurate passes? 

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

So you expecting hoof or long accurate passes? 

I'm expecting the ball spun over the top of the opposition fullbacks for forwards to work the channels and try and get their defenders to put it out and build in their third of the field.

For years we have had clubs do it to us. Dunk at brighton just put every single pass onto Olson's head for an easy throw in, or over the top for an easy throw in.

Its so simple, yet we want a hybrid of bobby Moore, Rio Ferdinand and franc lebouf.

59 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

The Jake buxton who has played a part in Wigan being relegated? Really don't and never have seen the obsession with him to be honest . 

As has been pointed out, Wigan's defence wasn't the problem. They had the seventh best defence in the league, one behind us. It was scoring goals that was their problem. 

Without him and Stephen Warnock (who I also think was treated harshly by Derby fans and is certainly no worse than Olsson), Wigan would've been battling Rotherham to stay off the bottom. 

42 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Without him and Stephen Warnock (who I also think was treated harshly by Derby fans and is certainly no worse than Olsson)...

Seriously?! Don't you start, Warnock was miles better than Olsson as left back! :)

6 hours ago, Andicis said:

Not interested in Hanley, classic centre half clogger, nothing too special, not too tall. For 4 million I think we should pass on this one.

He's listed on some sites as 6'3 and some as 6'2 and a half, so hardly a midget, particularly when you consider Pearce is 6'2 and he hardly seems small.

Then when you also consider we're getting 6'3 Craig Forsyth, 6'2 George Thorne and 6'2 Chris Martin back in the team, as well as looking at a 6'1(ish) RB in Wisdom and already having 6'2 Cyrus Christie on the books, I'm really struggling to see why you think his height is an issue.

Not saying this is you, Andicis, but I'm fed up of the idea that we absolutely need a 6'4/6'5 tall CB like Flint to magically solve our issues from set-pieces. Surely it's about whole team organisation and improved physicality as a group, rather than on 6'5 bloke marking all the opposition players.

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

He's listed on some sites as 6'3 and some as 6'2 and a half, so hardly a midget, particularly when you consider Pearce is 6'2 and he hardly seems small.

Then when you also consider we're getting 6'3 Craig Forsyth, 6'2 George Thorne and 6'2 Chris Martin back in the team, as well as looking at a 6'1(ish) RB in Wisdom and already having 6'2 Cyrus Christie on the books, I'm really struggling to see why you think his height is an issue.

Not saying this is you, Andicis, but I'm fed up of the idea that we absolutely need a 6'4/6'5 tall CB like Flint to magically solve our issues from set-pieces. Surely it's about whole team organisation and improved physicality as a group, rather than on 6'5 bloke marking all the opposition players.

Wikipedia has him listed as 6'1, but I agree there would be a margin for error so he may be 6'2 etc, the reason I bring up height into it as the championship has some really big, physical centre forwards. For example, Rudy Gestede will be playing in the Championship with Boro (or, as posted he will be) who is about 6'3/6'4 at centre forward, so there is potential for a smaller centre half to be bullied against the likes of him. 

Actually, I agree we don't need a big centre half, my main point was that all in all I don't think he looks special at anything, doesn't hold a height advantage, not a very good footballer at playing it out from the back either.  My idea of a centre half for Derby is somebody who can play the ball out from the back.

PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, coneheadjohn said:

Growth spurt outwards,not upwards :ph34r:.

He is six foot . Grant Hanley is 178 cm in French money... Does that make him six foot two in English money? 

25 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Wikipedia has him listed as 6'1, but I agree there would be a margin for error so he may be 6'2 etc, the reason I bring up height into it as the championship has some really big, physical centre forwards. For example, Rudy Gestede will be playing in the Championship with Boro (or, as posted he will be) who is about 6'3/6'4 at centre forward, so there is potential for a smaller centre half to be bullied against the likes of him. 

Actually, I agree we don't need a big centre half, my main point was that all in all I don't think he looks special at anything, doesn't hold a height advantage, not a very good footballer at playing it out from the back either.  My idea of a centre half for Derby is somebody who can play the ball out from the back.

I take the point if he's more 6'1 than 6'3, but he's extremely physical and horrible to play against. I wouldn't be worried about him being dominated by a Gestede/Rhodes, even if they do have a couple of inches on him.

100% agree that we need a CB who can play out from the back, that's why I've been so against Flint, but I'll take Hanley over Pearce and Shackell any day. He's not as good as Keogh with the ball but he's mobile enough to move it along better than Pearce or Shackell are. I've been saying we need someone as good as Pearce defensively but more mobile and better with the ball. Hanley fits the bill enough for me to be happy with signing him, but not as much as someone like Kyle Bartley, who unfortunately seems to be staying at Swansea.

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

He is six foot . Grant Hanley is 178 cm in French money... Does that make him six foot two in English money? 

Probably.

I like the idea of just making players as tall as we want,it will solve all our problems at a fraction of the price.

Chris Baird as CB cover 6ft 6,problem solved.

Archived