Grant Hanley - Signed for Norwich

David

If newcastle are going to spend some money, then there could be several players up to grabs.

personally i'd go for jamaal lascelles if possible.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

How much would he cost? I think newcastle spent £5 million on him but he would cost a lot less. He hardly played at all last year. Why not?

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

If newcastle are going to spend some money, then there could be several players up to grabs.

personally i'd go for jamaal lascelles if possible.

Think he's going to be too important next season for them to even consider letting him leave.

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Think he's going to be too important next season for them to even consider letting him leave.

Probably......and there would be prem clubs after him if he was available.

Don't know why i said it really.

I like my defenders to actually have something resembling two feet when it comes to controlling a football. From what I've seen of him, Hanley (and Flint) does not have this and would be no upgrade over Shackell.

Maybe having a centre-back pairing of Keogh and Buxton has spoiled me, but whenever I see some of the players we are linked with my heart sinks. 

Hanley was quality for Blackburn hence why Geordies paid £6m for him. Flint has had an excellent season hence why lots of teams are chasing him. They are both two stand out buys in the championship. 

Yet many people on here saying they wouldn't improve us. What does that tell you? Could it actually be we also have 3 top quality centre halves at this level?!

Yes we need to improve the team but also need to utilise some of the talent we have.

As for those who mention Bartley behave...makes twice the mistakes Keogh does!

10 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

I like my defenders to actually have something resembling two feet when it comes to controlling a football. From what I've seen of him, Hanley (and Flint) does not have this and would be no upgrade over Shackell.

Maybe having a centre-back pairing of Keogh and Buxton has spoiled me, but whenever I see some of the players we are linked with my heart sinks. 

My heart sinks when we let Bucko go hard as nails ,can pass ,never say die and we are thinking of spending millions on worse .Remind me which ******** sanctioned that deal.

7 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Hindsight a wonderful thing 

True but it wasn't hindsight to a lot of Derby fans .If we are talking character/ability which is missing in certain positions we still haven't had an up grade on Wardy although I accept he was injury prone .

14 hours ago, McLovin said:

If you don't think we need at least 1 new centre back then you're living in cloud cuckoo land. Rowett obviously thinks we do with all of these links. He used the phrase that our defence is "fragile." I have to agree with him. We have seen for many years that with the first bit of pressure, our defence tends to collapse. Pearce is decent, but only as a third centre back. Shacks isn't reliable and as he gets older, will continue to be more injury prone. 

I'm not saying we don't need another CB - I would always advocate 2 players per position in a squad (with some players able to cover a couple of positions if possible) but I object to everyone bashing Pearce when he's been part of the 6th best defence in the league and had basically no consistent cover in front of him

ALL defences look fragile at this level - And even above - when they don't have decent cover from midfield - The lack of Thorne and any proper cover for him has been the single biggest issue with our defence this season

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I'm not saying we don't need another CB - I would always advocate 2 players per position in a squad (with some players able to cover a couple of positions if possible) but I object to everyone bashing Pearce when he's been part of the 6th best defence in the league and had basically no consistent cover in front of him

ALL defences look fragile at this level - And even above - when they don't have decent cover from midfield - The lack of Thorne and any proper cover for him has been the single biggest issue with our defence this season

I agree. Also don't forget the atrocious left back cover he's had to contend with. Funny how Keogh looked poor when Cyrus had his poor spell. Same as Pearce looking crap when Olson has struggled. Fozzy back and a new solid right back will transform the defence. 

Im not saying Pearce can't be improved on but he's the wrong scapegoat

45 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I would say the biggest issue was our inability to head the ball.

I'm partly agreeing with you, it certainly was among the biggest problems. Lack of goals was even bigger IMO.

Forsyth, Thorne and Martin will add quite a lot of height and especially heading ability compared to Bent/Vydra, Olsson/Lowe and Bryson/Hughes/Butters.

Eventhough Hanley  is strong in the air, we certainly don't need him for his heading. If we are after slowness, wrong timed tackles and mistakes, then we should definitely go for him. We might find similkar from lower leagues without paying millions tho. Luckily I wish this is just a stupid rumour, his agent must be busy at the moment.

31 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I would say the biggest issue was our inability to head the ball.

Or the inability stop ANY cross from our left. If there are 30 crosses into our box and one gets headed in you can't always blame the CB, yet we do, every time. Keeper should deal with them also

40 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Or the inability stop ANY cross from our left. If there are 30 crosses into our box and one gets headed in you can't always blame the CB, yet we do, every time. Keeper should deal with them also

Agree with this, as good as Carson is he never strikes me as 'commanding' when crosses are coming in to the area.

39 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Agree that Olssen and Carson need to take some responsibility but the problem extends to corners and free kicks.

We need to be more physical in these situations 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived