Grant Hanley - Signed for Norwich

Day

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Surely it makes sense to have one centre half who does the heavy defending while the other is the ball player. Now unless we're getting rid of Keogh then he's the ball player. The shackell of old is the perfect 'proper defender'. Pearce is a mess of a player in between the two. Hanley would be a decent option therefore as the no nonsense defender 

We've all seen the result of that this season. Opposition teams routinely had a forward holding hands with Keogh to stop him ever receiving the ball to his feet from Carson, whilst they were more than happy for either Pearce or Shackell to receive the ball, safe in the knowledge that they would likely meander forwards before turning backwards or sideways.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

We've all seen the result of that this season. Opposition teams routinely had a forward holding hands with Keogh to stop him ever receiving the ball to his feet from Carson, whilst they were more than happy for either Pearce or Shackell to receive the ball, safe in the knowledge that they would likely meander forwards before turning backwards or sideways.

I don't think under GR we're going to see much playing out from the back and passing it around for half an hour. He seems to want to get the ball forward a lot quicker.

2 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Is that the Kyle Bartley of Swansea City, currently managed by Paul Clement....??

Do you think he would deal with us because I don't. 

Why not? How much of a say is he really going to have in the sale anyway? If he doesn't need him at Swansea I doubt he's going to be able to pick and choose which clubs' offers he accepts or rejects.

I imagine it'll be his decision on which players he would rather offload, then it's down to the board or Director of Football to listen to offers and accept/reject based on terms offered rather than where the offer is coming from. 

5 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Is that the Kyle Bartley of Swansea City, currently managed by Paul Clement....??

Pretty sure PC isn't in charge of transfer dealings, sure he'll have a little say on this that but it's up to the BOARD/DOF whether they'd accept the offers etc. 

8 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

If Bartley returns to Swansea it's unlikely he'll be a regular starter. If that's the case then, no matter what feelings Clement has against Derby, Huw Jenkins isn't the sort of chairman to turn down a decent offer and if the highest is from us then he's most likely going to accept it. He knows he's going to have to raise cash to invest in his team if he wants to avoid another relegation battle next season.

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If Bartley returns to Swansea it's unlikely he'll be a regular starter. If that's the case then, no matter what feelings Clement has against Derby, Huw Jenkins isn't the sort of chairman to turn down a decent offer and if the highest is from us then he's most likely going to accept it. He knows he's going to have to raise cash to invest in his team if he wants to avoid another relegation battle next season.

As long it doesn't end up like Ferrie Bodde saga though. 

6th best defence in the league last year btw - And that was playing all season without a recognised defensive midfielder, under 4 different managers and pretty much playing a different formation every week...

We have 3 top quality CBs - The starting two can't exactly be accused of not being passionate enough either

31 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

6th best defence in the league last year btw - And that was playing all season without a recognised defensive midfielder, under 4 different managers and pretty much playing a different formation every week...

We have 3 top quality CBs - The starting two can't exactly be accused of not being passionate enough either

Spot on mate !

what is all this anti Pearce stuff ? Yes he had a few games where there were mistakes or he didn't shine but for the largest part of the season he was a rock. He distributed the ball well and covered Keoghs marauding. 

When he got his chance he took it and many of us were singing his praises. He isn't Rio Ferdinand but he is a good defender and on the money for a top 10 championship side. Add in the fact that he is a team man and acknowledges the fans makes him an entirely positive asset to DCFC. 

If you don't think we need at least 1 new centre back then you're living in cloud cuckoo land. Rowett obviously thinks we do with all of these links. He used the phrase that our defence is "fragile." I have to agree with him. We have seen for many years that with the first bit of pressure, our defence tends to collapse. Pearce is decent, but only as a third centre back. Shacks isn't reliable and as he gets older, will continue to be more injury prone. 

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Huw Jenkins refused a significant bid (luckily for us it turned out) for Ferrie Bodde several years ago. I do believe that PC is an egotistical so and so, everything appears to be all about him. With that in mind that is my reason to believe he wouldn't sell to us unless they really took the P1ss with ££££

1 hour ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Huw Jenkins refused a significant bid (luckily for us it turned out) for Ferrie Bodde several years ago. I do believe that PC is an egotistical so and so, everything appears to be all about him. With that in mind that is my reason to believe he wouldn't sell to us unless they really took the P1ss with ££££

I'm well aware of the Bodde saga but Jenkins' actions and performance will be subject to far greater scrutiny now they have American owners and if a situation similar to Ferris Bodde occurred again, his reaction could be quite different.

Don't disagree with your opinion of Clement - next season will be his real test.

Archived