Passports

David

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to send ours off to the passport office in Durham as my lad (born in Ashbourne) was applying for one for his son (born in Peru) to make sure he wasn't bringing a 3 year old benefit cheat or terrorist over to visit his grandparents.....

Our passports didn't reach Durham. We got a letter back, with our original envelope ripped open enclosed, to say we hadn't included the passports.

We reported the loss of our passports to the passport office. They wouldn't accept it until we had a police report number of the theft.

The police would not allow us to report it as theft as they were lost in the post (our passports, not the police).

After several phone calls and letters between the passport office and the police, we gave up and reconciled ourselves to holidays in Rhyl and Skeg Vegas.

Due to having to care for a terminally ill mother-in-law for the last 18 months we've never bothered to apply for new ones so i dread to think what hassle and cost we will have to go through now we are in a position to consider trying again.

:mellow:

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

You ever seen the passport office in central London? 

Lovely chunky, but pricey, bit of real estate is that :)

The Spanish can renew their's in any National Police station. I suppose that is part of the reason then ?

21 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Yes they are, in two years you can also add the cost of a visa to travel outside the UK.

We'll get visa free travel like the us, most of south America, Australia and some Asian countries do for travel to Europe though. You know like we already have for a large proportion of countries outside of europe

I renewed mine a couple of years ago & Mrs Wolfie was horrified when she noticed that my new photo had me wearing the same shirt as the one 10 years before. I've had that favourite shirt for 24 years and have had to hide it now so she doesn't throw it away.

13 hours ago, richinspain said:

Mine cost me I think it was £144. A Spanish passport costs 23€. How can there be such a difference?

They need to get the money from somewhere to pay for Brexit.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

The Spanish can renew their's in any National Police station. I suppose that is part of the reason then ?

Whereas we can pay an extra tenner or something to have the local post office check we've filled in the form correctly and have the right bits of paper.

But only if there's more than 2 weeks before the deadline for getting the new passport. 

There's also options for postage/courier services to try and avoid the situated @uttoxram75 described - if you pay more you can have tracking,  guaranteed dates,  liability for receipt etc

All designed to sweat a bit more cash out of you. Or in the name of national security or some such notion.

The police station seems like a sensible idea. If only some of ours had police in them :D

14 hours ago, richinspain said:

Mine cost me I think it was £144. A Spanish passport costs 23€. How can there be such a difference?

Everything should be cheaper after Brexit when we don't have to subsidise the EU! I heard it on the telly once

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Whereas we can pay an extra tenner or something to have the local post office check we've filled in the form correctly and have the right bits of paper.

But only if there's more than 2 weeks before the deadline for getting the new passport. 

There's also options for postage/courier services to try and avoid the situated @uttoxram75 described - if you pay more you can have tracking,  guaranteed dates,  liability for receipt etc

All designed to sweat a bit more cash out of you. Or in the name of national security or some such notion.

The police station seems like a sensible idea. If only some of ours had police in them :D

As I had to send mine from Spain I sent it by registered post to avoid problems 

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I renewed mine a couple of years ago & Mrs Wolfie was horrified when she noticed that my new photo had me wearing the same shirt as the one 10 years before. I've had that favourite shirt for 24 years and have had to hide it now so she doesn't throw it away.

Was it the Puma one? 

Archived