Brexopvision 2018

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Have you taken your flag with you to Kiev DEL :lol:

It's already up in the lounge for tonight lol. :lol::) went out this morning to get beers for the evening. Happy days! :lol:

4 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

It's already up in the lounge for tonight lol. :lol::) went out this morning to get beers for the evening. Happy days! :lol:

Just finished work. Time to get to the 24 hr asda for the beers and a quick detour past the kebab shop just to get the full hard Paddington stare from Mrs Hants. :thumbsup:

That the Eurovision organizers allowed the holding nation to ban a competitor on political grounds is scandalous, the ideal of the competition has been thrown out the window.  Before, the competition was merely slightly cringe worthy, now it's a travesty

Just now, ramit said:

That the Eurovision organizers allowed the holding nation to ban a competitor on political grounds is scandalous, the ideal of the competition has been thrown out the window.  Before, the competition was merely slightly cringe worthy, now it's a travesty

You're referring to Russia right Ramit? 

There was a piece on this in last week's Economist and it is a sorry tale.

Russia acted in an extremely provocative manner by selecting a competitor who comes from the Crimea - which they annexed from Ukraine to strongly worded notes and general apathy from the west.

They would of course have known the Ukrainian ban on individuals from the disputed territories. There was apparently a possibility offered of a compromise of the Russian act actually performing in a different city and it being beamed into the main show.

Clearly not acceptable to Russia and they withdrew. 

It's a shame of course. Reminds me of when USA and ussr used to take turns to boycott Olympic games for political reasons. Managed to work through that and hopefully the same will be the case here.

10 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

You're referring to Russia right Ramit? 

There was a piece on this in last week's Economist and it is a sorry tale.

Russia acted in an extremely provocative manner by selecting a competitor who comes from the Crimea - which they annexed from Ukraine to strongly worded notes and general apathy from the west.

They would of course have known the Ukrainian ban on individuals from the disputed territories. There was apparently a possibility offered of a compromise of the Russian act actually performing in a different city and it being beamed into the main show.

Clearly not acceptable to Russia and they withdrew. 

It's a shame of course. Reminds me of when USA and ussr used to take turns to boycott Olympic games for political reasons. Managed to work through that and hopefully the same will be the case here.

Yulia Samoylova is not from the Crimea, her crime was to have visited Crimea, but it really doesn't matter because now a precedent has been set that a holding nation can ban a competitor for political reasons and as i wrote before, the ideal of the competition is now history

Just now, ramit said:

Yulia Samoylova is not from the Crimea, her crime was to have visited Crimea, but it really doesn't matter because now a precedent has been set that a holding nation can ban a competitor for political reasons and as i wrote before, the ideal of the competition is now history

Just to be clear though ramit,  the competitor was not banned from the competition. 

They were banned from entering the Ukraine by the government of that nation.

The competition itself is powerless against a sovereign government.  The only action they could take would be to relocate the competition. Which would have broken another rule of theirs.

No winners when non aligned organisations clash with national politics I'm afraid. 

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Just to be clear though ramit,  the competitor was not banned from the competition. 

They were banned from entering the Ukraine by the government of that nation.

The competition itself is powerless against a sovereign government.  The only action they could take would be to relocate the competition. Which would have broken another rule of theirs.

No winners when non aligned organisations clash with national politics I'm afraid. 

She was effectively banned from the competition.  Not allowing her to perform on stage as other performers gave her no chance of winning it.

The contest is the biggest loser in this, it has been sabotaged

Apologies for bringing this up during the live transmission, i shouldn't have

Party on people

Just now, ramit said:

She was effectively banned from the competition.  Not allowing her to perform on stage as other performers gave her no chance of winning it.

The contest is the biggest loser in this, it has been sabotaged

Apologies for bringing this up during the live transmission, i shouldn't have

Party on people

No apology needed Ramit. It's very difficult and I do agree that national governments should be bigger. 

The competition has been losing bits of its integrity for years. Some of the songs tonight have been released as singles across Europe for months prior to the competition - so they're in the public consciousness. Others not.

Anyway - I'm sliding gently into inebriaton as I hope you are. Keep those ideals fella:wub:

Maybe Mel should try Derby County for a TV vote for promotion........then again we are usually pretty sh1te on Sky, BT and any TV channel.....maybe we should get our little flags out and just go everywhere round the world and have a good sing song, or we could just give Graham Norton a good slapping with a wet fish?

A great show as ever. 

Highlight was clearly the Australian guy doing the full moon whilst last year's winner was doing her interval piece.

The scoring remains incomprehensible but the winner seemed a nice chap. Bit idealistic dedicating his win to music but there you go.

From what I can make out we did crap at the public vote.

Onto next year! :thumbsup::wub:

Class night. Well done to Luice Jones for getting over 110 points that's brilliant hopefully we'll go on better one next year though. ???

Congratulations to Portugal ??

P.S I bloody love Kiev ❤

Archived