Derby County 17/18 Season - Discussion Thread

RamsPolls

Derby County 16/17 Season - 67 points - 18 Wins - 13 Draws - 15 Losses

We look to the 17/18 season with great hope. Gary Rowett has a massive summer ahead of him, not only for him, but for the club as well. A big change must be done to get this club where it wants to be. 

Personally I am not holding out much hope for next season off the back of last season, however I will be there at all home games and most away as always. 

We're going into the next season with some serious competition in this league next year. Sunderland are a club that you never know how they're going to react to being relegated. They could go full Villa mode and finish mid table. They could be like Bolton and not be able to adapt and be stuck near the bottom of the table. Or they could be like Newcastle and just bounce straight back up to the Premier league. 

Middlesbrough look likely to come back down and they're one of our bogey teams. However they are a very different side that went up automatically a year ago. Aitor Karanka has left and they are looking for another manager, Wouldn't be surprised to see steve McClaren there next season. 

We also have Sheffield United coming up from League One. They will be a dark horse to get into the play offs for me. They are a massive club that have rotted in League One for far too long. 

All we need next season is to show fight. Not sure any fan is expecting automatic promotion next year, but if we put up a good fight and are up the right end of the table, we can have a decent season. 

My prediction - 5th Place finish. Lose at wembley. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit cautious about next season. I think Gary will not be able to bring in all he wants as we can't move on everyone who don't feature in his plans.

Suspect he'll bring a couple of youngsters through but it will take them a while to learn their positions. 

I see a step or 2 backwards in order to set the solid foundation back in place.

Predict 11th. With a bit of a cup run to provide some excitement. 

Think the key for next season, @HantsRam is patience, I know our fan base is probably the most impatient in the country but like you said, Rowett is going to want to bring in his own players and people he can trust to do a job. At the moment we have players that we won't be able to shift and won't be in Rowett's long term plans. It's going to take him at least 3-4 transfer windows to get the players he wants and to also get the players he doesn't want out.  

Finally we can focus on next season. Finally 2016/2017 is past.

I suppose, well I hope -  lots of changes are going to happen in summer, Rowett should get his players and people.

My expectations are high as they are every summer before new season - but I can't see them beeing matched. Again. But as @RamsPolls said, patience is the most important point right now.

Just now, RamsPolls said:

Think the key for next season, @HantsRam is patience, I know our fan base is probably the most impatient in the country but like you said, Rowett is going to want to bring in his own players and people he can trust to do a job. At the moment we have players that we won't be able to shift and won't be in Rowett's long term plans. It's going to take him at least 3-4 transfer windows to get the players he wants and to also get the players he doesn't want out.  

That's really what I was alluding to. Many would think that the current group minus the poor start of this season, would easily get top 6.

I'm imagining a scenario where Gary has talked with all of the players so some will know they have limited future. But if there are no takers then we could have largely the same squad,  with a number completely disenfranchised. 

So yes, I agree with you that a number of windows will be required and patience needed. As long as we can see and buy into the footballing philosophy we see being put in place then I'm cool with that :thumbsup:

Will be interesting to see who comes up from League One through the play offs... 

I would have loved a club like Fleetwood or Ssausagehorpe in the championship but wasn't to be. Really really don't want Millwall to come up. Bradford would be a decent club to come up, Can't remember the last time they were in this league? 

Good away day :D

6 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

For anyone wondering... The fixtures get announced on the 21st June.

Only 36 days to go :D

Really hoping for Sunderland at home for the first game of the season. Not sure why. Just want to batter the Mackem's...

Did them 5-0 or  5-1 once on opening day in the early 90s when they had terry butcher in charge. 

And we STILL didn't go up. Grrr.

13 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Did them 5-0 or  5-1 once on opening day in the early 90s when they had terry butcher in charge. 

And we STILL didn't go up. Grrr.

Well... We managed to smash a Hull City side 4-0 at home in April... Then 6 weeks later managed to lose 0-3 at home to the same Hull City side... That's the Derby way :D 

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

Hoping for 2 away games as I'm on holiday. Plus it will give them a good chance to get in the right mindset for the boo's emanating throughout pride park ?

I am in the same boat but based on previous seasons the first 3 championship games are likely to go home (Sat), away (Sat), away (Tuesday) or away, home, home so I think both of us will miss a game somewhere.

Also an EFL cup game during 1st week.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, they are all rubbish.

Just getting an early start, as my first Boss said 'A job started is a job half done already'.:)

What I really want to see next season is -

1. Solid performance when any kind of pressure of expectation comes on

2. The end of our charitable donation of points to struggling teams in the division to help them out a bit

3. End of letting in goals in the last 6-7 minutes, often linked to the above

2 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Will be interesting to see who comes up from League One through the play offs... 

I would have loved a club like Fleetwood or Ssausagehorpe in the championship but wasn't to be. Really really don't want Millwall to come up. Bradford would be a decent club to come up, Can't remember the last time they were in this league? 

Good away day :D

Fleetwood would have been surreal! They've still done incredibly well. Please not Millwall. Like the Brighton clip of our goal v Huddersfield I might just film my cheers with a Bradford victory. 

Reserve my opinions on this thread till I see what the summer brings and disposes! 

1 hour ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, they are all rubbish.

Just getting an early start, as my first Boss said 'A job started is a job half done already'.:)

What I really want to see next season is -

1. Solid performance when any kind of pressure of expectation comes on

2. The end of our charitable donation of points to struggling teams in the division to help them out a bit

3. End of letting in goals in the last 6-7 minutes, often linked to the above

It's a great preseason training routine :lol:

I recall just a few seasons ago in nc times, we used to cave in and concede ridiculously early goals away from home.

Or maybe it was just the games I went to. Like Brighton in Jan 2013.......

Archived