Aden Flint

Fraser_23

Not sure if everyone realises but transfer fee's have increased significantly in recent years. The reason for this is because of the TV deals and parachute payments. 3-4 years ago, £5m would have been a ludicrous fee for Aden Flint. But nowadays, for a central defender who has a goals to game ratio of 1:6, £5m is stupidly cheap. 

We can afford these sorts of fee's due to our ST sales and our revenue throughout the club, smaller clubs like Burton, Forest & Bristol can't afford these sorts of fee's or wages because they have either small or poor revenue throughout the club. 

I'm not saying we can afford to go out and spend £20m+ again, however if we want to improve our squad, the funds are there.

I would be over the moon to sign both Wisdom & Flint for under £10m.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Not sure if everyone realises but transfer fee's have increased significantly in recent years. The reason for this is because of the TV deals and parachute payments. 3-4 years ago, £5m would have been a ludicrous fee for Aden Flint. But nowadays, for a central defender who has a goals to game ratio of 1:6, £5m is stupidly cheap. 

We can afford these sorts of fee's due to our ST sales and our revenue throughout the club, smaller clubs like Burton, Forest & Bristol can't afford these sorts of fee's or wages because they have either small or poor revenue throughout the club. 

I'm not saying we can afford to go out and spend £20m+ again, however if we want to improve our squad, the funds are there.

God I'm glad your not the manager then mate! Would love wisdom and wouldn't mind Flint, I'd rather go after Bartley though! I do see where your coming from Wigg the fees going up but we need to be a lot more sensible 

26 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

I couldn't care less if my centre back had a 1:2 goal a game ratio if he couldn't defend properly.

I assume we'd be signing this player to help us with our weakness defending crosses. His Bristol City side that drew 3-3 at Pride Park this season conceded two of those three from crosses. One of which was a header scored by Tom Ince ffs 

25 minutes ago, Topram said:

God I'm glad your not the manager then mate! Would love wisdom and wouldn't mind Flint, I'd rather go after Bartley though! I do see where your coming from Wigg the fees going up but we need to be a lot more sensible 

Bartley would cost us more I think. Swansea may be coming down to the championship but if they don't, he is going to be hot prospect this summer. Can think a bidding war between Leeds, Us and someone like Sunderland will occur. 

Also I know we need to be sensible! I'm not saying we shouldn't be. But people are thinking back to 3-4 years ago, £4m for Andre Wisdom would be ridiculous, but nowadays, These sorts of fee's are a normality for quality players, the only way you can get a player under £2m nowadays is either if they're *****, or they're coming from abroad. Look at James Tomkins at Crystal Palace... £10m?! Not a chance he's worth that. But because he's english and in the premier league, it bumps his price up because premier league clubs don't have to sell to stay a float anymore. Premier league clubs can afford to let senior players not even make the match day 18 squad and let them rot in the reserves. So to sell a player they can get as much money as they want for them. 

4 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I couldn't care less if my centre back had a 1:2 goal a game ratio if he couldn't defend properly.

I assume we'd be signing this player to help us with our weakness defending crosses. His Bristol City side that drew 3-3 at Pride Park this season conceded two of those three from crosses. One of which was a header scored by Tom Ince ffs 

Flint actually played fairly well that game... He plays on the right side of the defence so Ince isn't his concern? 

He's a very good defender at this level. 

3 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Flint actually played fairly well that game... He plays on the right side of the defence so Ince isn't his concern? 

He's a very good defender at this level. 

Well Ince didn't score his header from the right wing! ;)

I'd just argue that a commanding centre back wouldn't allow it to happen, maybe I'm being harsh 

14 minutes ago, nottingram said:

That's the point I keep making. Flint may score a lot of goals for a central defender but he hasn't been so good at keeping them out....Wisdom yes please, Flint no thanks...

I think if you asked Bristol City fans (maybe there's some on here that can help me out?) what has been the cause of their defensive problems this season, they'd probably point at their shocking selection of right-backs, the dropping of Icelandic defender Magnusson for no reason, and their constant changing of goalkeepers, rather than at the performances of Flint.

8 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Alright, here's a question.

What does Flint (27, rumoured 5 million fee) offer that Kyle Bartley (25, year left on contract at Swansea who don't want him) doesn't?

Why is Flint a better option?

He probably isn't Leicester Ram. But Flint is a more realistic signing than Bartley. After how he's played for Leeds this season, he'll probably have earned himself a chance in Paul Clement's side. 

10 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Alright, here's a question.

What does Flint (27, rumoured 5 million fee) offer that Kyle Bartley (25, year left on contract at Swansea who don't want him) doesn't?

Why is Flint a better option?

Flint isn't the better option. Bartley would be the dream. However, there's 2 possibilities with Bartley's future.

1 - Swansea get relegated and want to keep him for their campaign to get back to the premier league, which would be a smart move, instead of selling him to a rival. 

OR

2 - Swansea survive, and then there will be a bidding war between top clubs in the championship to get him in, this will cause his price to inflate and you'll end up paying around £6-7m for him because Leeds/Sunderland/Boro/Villa, all will want him. 

We need height in the side. We've struggled all season at defending set pieces;  5'10 Johnny Russell offers nothing when marking a defender 6 foot plus - just look at the Forest equalizer :ph34r:

Flint, Wistom, Roberts, Bartley...

I'd take any one of them 

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

He probably isn't Leicester Ram. But Flint is a more realistic signing than Bartley. After how he's played for Leeds this season, he'll probably have earned himself a chance in Paul Clement's side. 

I highly doubt it, they're developing Mawson at CB and after this season I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to improve his CB partner with someone more experienced than Bartley.

Bartley's reached 25/26 with only one season of starting week in, week out for a team, I think he's probably open to a move to a team where he'd be a regular, a team like Derby is definitely an option for him.

If we were to even consider bidding for Flint, I'd want us bidding for Bartley first. 3 million would probably be over what Bartley is worth with a year left on his contract, let alone the 5 million we'd supposedly be bidding on Flint.

We're talking about working on a tighter budget under Rowett, having less expenditure, cutting down the size of the squad and working with a core of high quality players, then suddenly everyone thinks bidding 5 million for a CB who offers no better than what we currently have is realistic.

Really hope this isn't the direction the club is going in again.

4 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I highly doubt it, they're developing Mawson at CB and after this season I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to improve his CB partner with someone more experienced than Bartley.

Bartley's reached 25/26 with only one season of starting week in, week out for a team, I think he's probably open to a move to a team where he'd be a regular, a team like Derby is definitely an option for him.

If we were to even consider bidding for Flint, I'd want us bidding for Bartley first. 3 million would probably be over what Bartley is worth with a year left on his contract, let alone the 5 million we'd supposedly be bidding on Flint.

We're talking about working on a tighter budget under Rowett, having less expenditure, cutting down the size of the squad and working with a core of high quality players, then suddenly everyone thinks bidding 5 million for a CB who offers no better than what we currently have is realistic.

Really hope this isn't the direction the club is going in again.

If you reckon you can get the deal done, I'll drive you to Swansea myself mate!

20 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Flint isn't the better option. Bartley would be the dream. However, there's 2 possibilities with Bartley's future.

1 - Swansea get relegated and want to keep him for their campaign to get back to the premier league, which would be a smart move, instead of selling him to a rival. 

OR

2 - Swansea survive, and then there will be a bidding war between top clubs in the championship to get him in, this will cause his price to inflate and you'll end up paying around £6-7m for him because Leeds/Sunderland/Boro/Villa, all will want him. 

Leeds are a mess. As I said in another thread, the only certainty about their future is that they'll be in the championship next year. It looks like Monk's leaving and their squad is likely to be picked off this off-season. No one wants to be at that toxic club if they can help it.

Sunderland are an issue, but they're going to be battling hard with FFP. Their wage budget is near the top 10 in the prem, if not in the top 10 (I believe). That wouldn't be as much of a problem if it wasn't for the fact their squad is old and awful. They'll be rebuilding, not sure a return to the PL in the next couple of years is as likely for them as for us. I'd bet a player will prefer us to Sunderland.

Boro have a top notch defence already, not sure who'll they'll be needing to add to it. Nightmare situation is that they bring in Monk and sell Gibson, in which case they'll probably get Bartley. We'll see, might be that Bartley's already moved by the time Gibson leaves, in that situation.

Villa have pretty much used this season to build their squad to win the league next season. They've got Chester, Elphick and Baker already on their books. Might be that they're interested in Bartley, but it might also be that they're happy with what they've got. Might be that they prefer Flint.

If think it's easy to write us off as a destination for him because we're all so caught up in how much of a mess it is right now, but we're still a very nice prospect for a player. There's a guarantee of a starting job under a young, English manager who's beloved by the press, there's top training facilities, a big club for the league and decent wages.

@Leicester Ram - Agree with everything you said! I'm not saying that i'm writing us off as a destination for him. But I just think that he will be wanted by almost every championship club if Swansea stay up. It'll turn into a bidding war and I think a club in a different position to us can pay a little more for him to be able to get him there.

I'd love him here. Don't get me wrong, but with the season he's had for Leeds... A lot of clubs will be willing to pay big money for him.

Archived