Signed: Andre Wisdom 4 year deal

Nuwtfly

Just now, Animal is a Ram said:

Good signing, even if he hadn't played for us before.

Did his parking offend you DEL? You seem so dead set against him coming back here.. :ph34r:

He decided not to come back means he want to play higher level than Championship though. He was decent on loan. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's just me, but I'm really not that bothered about getting Wisdom back.  He's probably worse than Christie or Baird on the ball, both passing and crossing.  A big part of the reason Baird has worked so well with Ince is his passing - Wisdom just isn't capable of playing the type of through balls that Baird puts through.  And while he's probably better defensively than Christie, and taller and quicker than Baird, he was always prone to having an absolutely car-crash whenever he was up against a tricky, pacy winger. 

If we're spending £4m on a player, I think it would be much better spent elsewhere.

Given that he signed for WBA (22/07) after we signed Cyrus Christie (10/07), and Brendan Rodgers comments, I dare say he didn't have the choice to come here.

It's more likely that we asked, Liverpool didn't want to sell at the time and we didn't want a loan, or they didn't want to loan him to a Championship club, or even we weren't offering enough dosh.

Even if it was the case he turned us down, why hold him wanting to advance his career against him?

12 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm really not that bothered about getting Wisdom back.  He's probably worse than Christie or Baird on the ball, both passing and crossing.  A big part of the reason Baird has worked so well with Ince is his passing - Wisdom just isn't capable of playing the type of through balls that Baird puts through.  And while he's probably better defensively than Christie, and taller and quicker than Baird, he was always prone to having an absolutely car-crash whenever he was up against a tricky, pacy winger. 

If we're spending £4m on a player, I think it would be much better spent elsewhere.

I tend to agree with this comment. I suppose that you could see that Rowett may not want to depend on Baird for 46 games or that Wisdom might be signed as CB.

I wholeheartedly agree that the £4 million could be better allocated.

Not certain that Wisdom fits the bill of a young, hungry player with a point to prove.

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Am I the only thinking £4m is a bit steep for a player that apart from with us hasn't actually played regularly anywhere?

Probably. But the issue, unfortunately, seems to be that this is the market rate for this type of player.  When you look at the players we have signed for around this type of fee, the club he would be coming from (presumably don't have to sell) and what other clubs have been shelling out, based on his performances for us (admittedly some time ago, but I have nothing else to go on) £4m looks about right. 

I can see CB becoming his longer term position. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play since he was with us, but I don't remember him pulling up any trees in the attacking third - I expect to be shot down, but I'd even go as far to say I think Baird would offer more going forward... :ph34r:

If I was to splash out £4m I think I'd prioritise other positions than RB, if we are on a limited budget this summer.

Had a fantastic partnership with Richard Keogh, always communicating, so much so it wasn't obvious who was leading. We had a great team then didn't we with Eustace leading the midfield. 

We certainly lack good communicators now, Thorne was also a great communicator.

I'd have him back, would bring the best back out of Keogh.

I think there's so many positives to bringing Wisdom in.

I understand Baird's put through some great balls to Ince this season, but about 95% of passes from Baird are simple balls to Ince in space. I'm also not convinced that Wisdom couldn't put through a decent ball for him anyway.

My memory of Wisdom on the ball is of a player with great confidence who knew he was far too strong to be muscled off the ball so used it to his advantage. Don't think he was ever a great passer, but he wasn't a poor passer by any stretch.

Wisdom will have matured too, he's had a couple of seasons in the PL and a year abroad since he was with us, I think he could be a really canny defensive player in the mould of Baird. Having Baird with him in training should help too.

I'm struggling to remember him being particularly troubled by any wingers either, I remember him shutting down the Brighton wingers in the play-off's and the goal at Wembley didn't come down his side. He's got more pace and strength than Baird too, which helps. 

He also gives us more of a physical presence at the back. 

We can't complain about all the set-pieces we've conceded and then bristle at the idea of bringing in a 6'1 RB who has the build of a CB. If it's him and Fozzy as full backs, that gives us a really tall back four. Having a tall back four, along with a couple of big midfielders and a tall ST on the front post is a way to help out our set-pieces (not signing one 6'5 CB and thinking that's job done).

Wouldn't mind seeing him at CB too, definitely is better on the ball than Pearce and Shackell, just wonder if he's as good defensively as those two. Watching Pearce spend most of the first half on his arse trying to keep up with Dicko onSaturday hasnt exactly endeared Pearce to me. Even if he isn't as good as them defensively, he gives us the option of a more mobile CB.

16 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Lloyd Dyer while at Leicester tore him apart and also Burnley winger at Turf Moor. 

So two wingers in the two best teams in the league that were tearing us apart across the entire pitch, let alone at RB. It's not exactly like we were completely dominating but Wisdom was the only one letting us down. We were susceptible to quick 4-4-2 teams that season, I think that was equally a problem with how we were defending/set-up as a team as it was a problem with Wisdom.

Also, he only played well against 22 teams instead of 24 teams 3 years ago, so we therefore shouldn't sign him ?

I really liked Wisdom when he was with us previously but it's a bit alarming he's not pushed on, 40 odd games in the last three years is shocking for someone his age. He needs to be playing and clearly hasn't for one reason or another. 

Do we have a fascination with that 13/14 team that blinds us a little? 

Would be a cracking signing in my opinion.

Never seen such a strong, physical, mature player for his age.

I can remember the laughs around the ground when he used to shoulder barge the wingers off the pitch.

Sign him up.

1 hour ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

He decided not to come back means he want to play higher level than Championship though. He was decent on loan. 

He was young and wanted to try and progress his career in the prem. It didn't work out. Wouldn't hold that against him. Id love to see him back, he's the kind of solid defender we need.

Archived