Travel Tips

sage

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mostyn6 said:

I tried this in Prague to get Derby match on SkyGo, absolute waste of effort and time, more trouble than it's worth.

Not gonna try video, just radio, not enough bandwidth where we're staying (Cyprus).

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Says who? Most malware is spotted and commented on in the app reviews.

just be careful, app reviews like all review sites are ********, feefo review centre is not a bad review site, it asks for response from actual people that have purchased the reviewed goods or services, most others are paid for by a marketing company.

1 hour ago, LesterRam said:

I wish, I cannot go airside until the very last minute, the sight of a plane gives me a massive panic attack, I have to go through a ritual, I have to make the panic attack peak through walking to the gate, I stop and buy a banana en route and eat it before boarding, always pre book my seat and randomly talk to everybody that looks at me on the plane, no I'm not nuts but its a distraction tactic, I used to take flight panic attack pills and ending up taking 3-4 tablets in the toilet before boarding but by the time I got on the plane my legs were like jelly and I would sleep the entire holiday, my kids love going on holidays but unfortunately its a nasty ordeal for me :(

Sorry to hear of your difficulties LR. 

I don't like flying either but yours sounds more extreme. If you have a genuine phobia then hypnotherapy has worked for a couple of friends of mine.

I like to close my eyes and put some music on for take-off. 

You can also take comfort from the fact you got through your fears before. We don't give ourselves enough credit for such feats.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, LesterRam said:

I wish, I cannot go airside until the very last minute, the sight of a plane gives me a massive panic attack, I have to go through a ritual, I have to make the panic attack peak through walking to the gate, I stop and buy a banana en route and eat it before boarding, always pre book my seat and randomly talk to everybody that looks at me on the plane, no I'm not nuts but its a distraction tactic, I used to take flight panic attack pills and ending up taking 3-4 tablets in the toilet before boarding but by the time I got on the plane my legs were like jelly and I would sleep the entire holiday, my kids love going on holidays but unfortunately its a nasty ordeal for me :(

Dam, gutted for you. Can/have you tried hypnotherapy?

Take a spare bog roll or at least tissues. Outside Europe I have found this very useful if you get caught short while out and about. In some countries people even take the bog roll out of the toilets and try to sell it you at the entrance. If this happens pull your spare roll out and a firm no thanks as you pass the bog bandit usually does the trick.

Overnight ferries are a great way to travel to the continent. Load up the car, ensure that there is plenty of room for half a dozen cases of Trappist beer on your return journey (if not, your car isn't big enough), tootle to the port, a couple of nice snifters and a meal, head down, wake up, brekky, drive to your destination on a road network 100 times better than the crap we have to drive on over here.

4 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

50/50 packing..  Went of a cruise with some friends and he lost everything.. Splitting the packing with his wife might have saved him a little. Never ideal but 2 weeks in a white T-Shirt was a bit much :blink:

They do have shops on cruise ships.

Also in foreign countries.

However I must admit we do split our packing.

Tuck socks into shoes and check whether towels are essential - they take up a lot of space so investigate whether your destination supplies them.

Learn at least yes, no and thank you in the local dialect.

16 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

They do have shops on cruise ships.

Also in foreign countries.

However I must admit we do split our packing.

Tuck socks into shoes and check whether towels are essential - they take up a lot of space so investigate whether your destination supplies them.

Learn at least yes, no and thank you in the local dialect.

Not much in the way of shopping on board unless you want a watch. Shopping ashore can also be difficult if you have booked trips at each port. 

He managed.  Just. 

Sith Happens

Buy a plug in usb charger that allows several devices to be charged from one plug.

The problem ive often found is lack of available plugs in rooms meaning charging devices is a bit of a juggle. Can pick one up on ebay for about a fiver and will have all plug fittings too for abroad or uk.

Sith Happens

If you are arriving in the morning, especially if travelled over night, consider packing at the top of one of the cases a change of clothes, something you can freshen up with and some suncream.

A lot of hotels dont allow checkin until mid afternoon and you can find yourself hanging around in your travel clothes, staying out the sun because no suncream etc...

16 hours ago, Gritters said:

If on long haul flights pack some pile cream just incase. 

Avoid any embarrassing situations when going through security at airports by packing your pile cream in the missus's hand luggage. 

And don't forget - you could apply it in the toilets and join the exclusive "pile high club"

17 hours ago, Paul71 said:

The problem ive often found is lack of available plugs in rooms meaning charging devices is a bit of a juggle. Can pick one up on ebay for about a fiver and will have all plug fittings too for abroad or uk.

Ah - my solution - get a four way UK plug with a short lead on it. Then you only need one adapter, and you can use all your other UK devices as normal. Fits easily in the side of a suitcase. You won't regret it

39 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Another long haul tip, don't travel in economy...

We upgraded last year to go to USA & while I was fine with doing it on the daytime (outward) flight, I was reluctant to do it on the night flight home - because all I wanted to do was sleep. We did, though, and I was glad for it. I still got very little sleep but I didn't feel like the knackered wreck I normally do from a long economy flight and the drive home was a lot easier.

Sith Happens
49 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Ah - my solution - get a four way UK plug with a short lead on it. Then you only need one adapter, and you can use all your other UK devices as normal. Fits easily in the side of a suitcase. You won't regret it

I also take a power bank which has a couple of usb sockets on it, i can leave stuff on charge in the day then with that in the safe as often you cant plug stuff in when you are out the room.

Archived