AFL - ANZAC Day 2017

EssendonRam

On April 25, Essendon and Collingwood met again in the ANZAC Day match which, since 1995, has come to be a key aspect of the ANZAC Day commemorations in Australia. As an Essendon supporter and member, I've attended all of the 22 held and, personally, am incredibly proud of the manner in which my club and Collingwood have joined with the RSL (Returned Serviceman's League) to pay tribute to the original ANZACs who landed at Gallipoli on April 25, 1915 and all those who have served Australia and New Zealand since then. On Tuesday, just under 88,000 were at the MCG and the pre-game ceremony (based largely on the traditional Dawn Service) was again a breath-taking experience. Television does not quite capture how the strains of the Last Post seem to float in the air, let alone the impact of the minutes silence observed by all 88,000 at the ground.

This observation is one thing I think we Australians do well (and ceremony is not our strong suit).

If you'd like to watch the pre-game ceremony, here it is.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good crowd to go with the day, impeccable respect.

Thanks to you had to watch a separate highlights clip just to remind myself of one game I've never understood, despite spending time out there with Oz cousins trying to "educate" me.

Always thought it was ridiculously easy to score and just don't get it

8 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Good crowd to go with the day, impeccable respect.

Thanks to you had to watch a separate highlights clip just to remind myself of one game I've never understood, despite spending time out there with Oz cousins trying to "educate" me.

Always thought it was ridiculously easy to score and just don't get it

Ah, let me help you...

It's a magnificent game where it can be ridiculously easy to score...or incredibly hard.

Many AFL fans equate high scoring with a great game but, let me tell you, most of my favourite matches are defensive struggles.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 19:48, Zag zig said:

Gee thanks :blink: well summed up though :D

Well deserved!

That, believe it or not, wasn't my attempt to help you...and I'm pretty sure I must have been distracted as I had intended to cite some games to watch where the contrary is true.

One of my frustrations in dealing with AFL fans who dislike soccer is the belief that low scoring equals boring; those same types believe equate a high scoring game with a good one. I don't and purists don't.

Defence is important in AFL and been stronger in the last few years.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll collate some footage for you.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 19:50, Ramchester said:

Think of it as a sort of cross country basketball, with a bit of rugby thrown in.

Australian football is actually the oldest codified football game in the world, believe it or not. Soccer is older and rugby dates from much the same period.

I'll be honest: comparisons between AFL and rugby have never worked for me. AFL is a 360 degree game with no offside, no zones, etc and on relatively large ovals. It does not translate to TV especially well; live is, by far, the best way of watching it.

As for basketball, wash your mouth out! An awful, predictable game!

Archived