Joey Barton

Coneheadjohn

13 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

And that's why they've used him as an example to others.

Would Dele Alli, for example, have received an 18 month ban? Not a chance!

Probably if he'd bet against his own team. The length is because it calls the integrity of the sport into question.

The ? is because its joey Barton who has been caught doing it.

There are probably others who do it and haven't been caught.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just another one of his mistakes, he says he'll learn from.  Goes onto blame the leagues for being in bed with the betting firms, and the fact he plays for a club sponsored by a betting firm, but he still takes their money and plays in the their leagues.  Back-tracking, hypocritical, gobshite, scumbag...

B0ll0cks to him...

27 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Just another one of his mistakes, he says he'll learn from.  Goes onto blame the leagues for being in bed with the betting firms, and the fact he plays for a club sponsored by a betting firm, but he still takes their money and plays in the their leagues.  Back-tracking, hypocritical, gobshite, scumbag...

B0ll0cks to him...

It really winds me up that he thinks people are dumb enough to buy this excuse. If he can't understand the difference between punters betting on games and actual participants of those games gambling then he's a bigger idiot than even I thought. This is the same as if Tony Adams had blamed breweries for sponsoring football shirts after admitting his alcohol addiction.

It may seem overly harsh, and they may well be making an example of him because it's Joey Barton. But it is Joey Barton, and the first thing he did was say it wasn't his fault. 

He may well have an addiction, and I hope he seeks help if he does, but he's still a c*ckwomble of the highest order. 

Sith Happens

I thought at first it was harsh, but reading that he bet on his own team to lose is sufficient for a lifetime ban. He says he wasn't involved in those games but still.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

I thought at first it was harsh, but reading that he bet on his own team to lose is sufficient for a lifetime ban. He says he wasn't involved in those games but still.

Back in the 1960's, players got jailed for that - and it's far worse than the 'spot betting' that got Amir, Asif and Butt jailed.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, eddie said:

Back in the 1960's, players got jailed for that - and it's far worse than the 'spot betting' that got Amir, Asif and Butt jailed.

I know he says its an addiction and fine, but its hard to feel sorry for someone like him. I feel sorry for the poor ******** who earn a year what he gets paid for a couple of days work who get addicted hoping a few quid might make their lives better.

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I know he says its an addiction and fine, but its hard to feel sorry for someone like him. I feel sorry for the poor ******** who earn a year what he gets paid for a couple of days work who get addicted hoping a few quid might make their lives better.

That's a very good point.

I've just taken a job on a wage less than I was earning 30 years ago. I think I'm now qualified to buy a lottery ticket.

Sign him up they said, the bite in midfield we've been lacking, he's a changed man, hasn't hit anyone in a couple of years.

Would have had a cheeky fiver on us missing out on the top 6 though I bet. 

18 months isn't long enough. Make it 90 months. 

Claims he has a gambling problem, medical records to prove it, that's fine, I hope you can overcome your demons Joey but.....

Second, on the few occasions where I placed a bet on my own team to lose, I was not involved in the match day squad for any of those games. I did not play. I was not even on the bench. I had no more ability to influence the outcome than had I been betting on darts, snooker, or a cricket match in the West Indies. I should add that on some of those occasions, my placing of the bet on my own team to lose was an expression of my anger and frustration at not being picked or being unable to play. I understand people will think that is childish and selfish and I cannot disagree with that.

That doesn't sound like a man with gambling issues, that sounds like a **** throwing a tantrum over not playing. I could not be more happy that Derby County is not listed on his CV.

I think the length of the ban and the 'gambling is worse than drugs' example it sets is because the FA is terrified that gambling and then match fixing will take a hold here as it appears to have done elsewhere in sport (and maybe here too if we did but know).  So it matters not that the bets were only £3 and that JB wasn't involved in the particular match day squads the fact is that an influential player had a bet on the outcome of a match in which his club was involved.

As is often the case with JB though he does have an interesting point about the FA, football clubs and football generally having significant financial links with betting firms - Ladbrokes, Bet365 effectively directly sponsor large parts of our national game.  Sky rely on Bet365 for money that helps pay for the EPL contract.  

Never mind the social impact that betting can have at its worst, the fact is that our game is widely funded by the very people that the FA are trying to stop from influencing the game and there is more than a little irony in that

37 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

shows that the FA think that gambling is worse than taking drugs....

Barton got 18 months, Berahino got 8 weeks..

Berahino had a small trace amount of MDMA found in his system. From the BBC website he said

He claims the level of drugs found was "really low", which he says proves there was no intent on his behalf.

4 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

As is often the case with JB though he does have an interesting point about the FA, football clubs and football generally having significant financial links with betting firms - Ladbrokes, Bet365 effectively directly sponsor large parts of our national game.  Sky rely on Bet365 for money that helps pay for the EPL contract.  

I get the irony, but its like when they introduced the smoking ban on planes, I heard a passenger complain "but you sell cigarettes", as the stewardess was heard to reply " we sell condoms as well, but we don't expect you to be using those on board, either":lol: 

Archived