St George's Day.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be out bright and early tomorrow, suited and booted with the red rose on. It's a cracking day out in Derby with most pubs packed and free grub to soak up the ale and it's probably one of the only days where you see no or very little trouble with so many people out on the booze. 

I don't really celebrate it as such but I know some who do, including one who always likes to wear his nice suit and have a good day out.

I think I've been guilty in the past of being a bit of a snob about it and looking down on people who celebrate it. I think that needs to change.

1) We've all made ridiculous excuses to have a pissup. For some, this is no different.

2) As long as you're civil and friendly and don't get caught up in EDL/nationalist nonsense, be proud of whatever you want to be proud of. I know it's not a popular opinion with people of my political persuasion on the left but I think sometimes things like this give people something to look forward to and a bit of extra energy in their day to day lives. If this is what puts a spring in your step, God bless you (even though I don't believe in Him).

6 hours ago, DerbyMark said:

Christ! Why don't some of the posts on here even surprise me lol

I was out in town all day with the real people....Derby fans most of 'em.... image that lol

Had a great day.

Different people place importance upon different things.

For instance, one person who had 'friended' me on Facebook in the past sent me THREE 'patriotic' St George's Day links yesterday - every one of which was from 'Britain First'. He thought that was important. I thought 'unfriending' him was important.

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, DerbyMark said:

Christ! Why don't some of the posts on here even surprise me lol

I was out in town all day with the real people....Derby fans most of 'em.... image that lol

Had a great day.

I think there are a number of reasons people dont celebrate it as such.

I think some people are afraid to celebrate being english, the tabloid press could be responsible for this with scare stories of the flag being banned so not to offend non english people etc.

I think some might more if it was a public holiday, and why shouldnt it be, scotland and ireland both celebrate theirs. I mean you get far more going on for st patricks day in england than st georges day its crazy.

Also - i dont know what its like now but i dont EVER remember being taught about it and the day in school, thats going back 30 years mind. I bet if you had asked me 20 years ago what date it was on i wouldnt know, but would have been able to tell you st patricks day.

I also think there are those as @Eddie alludes to that take its meaning as being pro english, anti others...which of course its not also, so this may put some people off.

Its not easy just to start celebrating something you have had no incentive to do before, lets make a start and make it a holiday...i think a lot more will start to think about it then.

15 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I think there are a number of reasons people dont celebrate it as such.

I think some people are afraid to celebrate being english, the tabloid press could be responsible for this with scare stories of the flag being banned so not to offend non english people etc.

I think some might more if it was a public holiday, and why shouldnt it be, scotland and ireland both celebrate theirs. I mean you get far more going on for st patricks day in england than st georges day its crazy.

Also - i dont know what its like now but i dont EVER remember being taught about it and the day in school, thats going back 30 years mind. I bet if you had asked me 20 years ago what date it was on i wouldnt know, but would have been able to tell you st patricks day.

I also think there are those as @Eddie alludes to that take its meaning as being pro english, anti others...which of course its not also, so this may put some people off.

Its not easy just to start celebrating something you have had no incentive to do before, lets make a start and make it a holiday...i think a lot more will start to think about it then.

For me it's the religious connotations of the Saints' days (and existence in the first place) that puts me right off.

I'd be more inclined to celebrate an "England Day" but the thought of celebrating the actions of somebody elevated to celebrity by the church just leaves me cold.

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

For me it's the religious connotations of the Saints' days (and existence in the first place) that puts me right off.

I'd be more inclined to celebrate an "England Day" but the thought of celebrating the actions of somebody elevated to celebrity by the church just leaves me cold.

But dont we do that with Christmas and Easter?

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

But dont we do that with Christmas and Easter?

My enjoyment of Christmas is because most of my friends & family have time off work and I love hosting those I love coming to stay for food/drink/whatever. It's the relaxed family gathering I love and religion never comes into it. Found out yesterday my in-laws are coming over from the USA to stay with us this Christmas and I'm excited about it already.

Easter is similar but to a lesser extent. I enjoy it more nowadays, because I've started a family tradition for my little one of everyone meeting at mine for a big lunch etc.

The time off work thing is the clincher for me. It makes an occasion of it & means that people can chill out a bit more.

We don't to Valentines day. Overpriced cards/flowers/meals out with less menu choice?. No thanks. We tell each other we love them every day & handing over a fiver to Hallmark doesn't make it more so.

Sith Happens
49 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

My enjoyment of Christmas is because most of my friends & family have time off work and I love hosting those I love coming to stay for food/drink/whatever. It's the relaxed family gathering I love and religion never comes into it. Found out yesterday my in-laws are coming over from the USA to stay with us this Christmas and I'm excited about it already.

Easter is similar but to a lesser extent. I enjoy it more nowadays, because I've started a family tradition for my little one of everyone meeting at mine for a big lunch etc.

The time off work thing is the clincher for me. It makes an occasion of it & means that people can chill out a bit more.

We don't to Valentines day. Overpriced cards/flowers/meals out with less menu choice?. No thanks. We tell each other we love them every day & handing over a fiver to Hallmark doesn't make it more so.

So maybe St Georges day could be the same, if we get time off,.

On 22/04/2017 at 13:30, ossieram said:

I'll be out bright and early tomorrow, suited and booted with the red rose on. It's a cracking day out in Derby with most pubs packed and free grub to soak up the ale and it's probably one of the only days where you see no or very little trouble with so many people out on the booze. 

I can report that I walked past The Neptune in town yesterday around 6pm and there was a massive contingent of blind drunk chavs, wrapped in England flags.

Stay classy England.

PS – some of them were heading to Cosmo World Buffet for tea, where I assume they had nothing but the shepherd’s pie and apple crumble :lol:

5 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I can report that I walked past The Neptune in town yesterday around 6pm and there was a massive contingent of blind drunk chavs, wrapped in England flags.

Stay classy England.

PS – some of them were heading to Cosmo World Buffet for tea, where I assume they had nothing but the shepherd’s pie and apple crumble :lol:

Stay judgemental

Isn't having a good piss up with friends part of the tradition of being English that they were celebrating? 

6 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Stay classy England.

I'm guessing if there was a massive contingent of blind drunk clowns in big leprechaun hats with shamrocks all over them then that would be ok as they're just having the craic! 

8 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Stay classy England.

What is a chav and how do you know these people were chavs?

I was out from 10:am and was wobbling by 17:30 and because my wife works at a school and isn't allowed to book the day off to recover, we decided it was probably best that we head off home. But we had a great day out with a good bunch of mates and loads of others all looking to have a good time and saw no trouble all day.

Archived