St George's Day.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Thankfully we're not daft enough to lose another workday out of the calendar for this archaic nonsense. I've no problem if people want to celebrate and wave a flag etc... but you don't need a day off for that.

The only thing I know about St George's day is that it's something about a killing dragon (no idea where or why) and I had to be part of a cub/scout procession in Tideswell every year when I was a kid. Hardly ever gave it a thought since.

I'm all for another bank holiday but not for this and not another one in April, what with Easter & then the 2 days off in May.

Far better IMO to have one in October/November, to split up the bloody long run-in between August & Christmas.

As a scout St.George's day was a thing. But I've not really thought about it since I was 14.

I thought he was a roman soldier of greek origin. Wikipedia also says this but there are a bunch of different "legends" that people think was used to create the dragon myth.

Killed by some emperor for not recanting his Christian faith in the late 3rd century and therefore becoming a christian martyr, becoming a saint and then being venerated during the crusades.

EDIT: He was either born in Cappadocia or Lydda, located in modern day Turkey and Palestine respectively, but both cities within the Roman Empire. His family is certainly Greek. 

I'm not interested in religion or saints so i don't really care about St. George and his greek or arab background but  a St. George's  day pub crawl in Derby is a great day out.

Loads of pubs have free food and snacks, some live bands and a general feeling of celebrating England with surprisingly very little xenophobia or racist undertones. certainly its been like that on the last couple of occasions we've been.

Last year was excellent and the roast beef cobs in Noahs Ark soaked the ale up perfectly.

Far more likely to "celebrate" i.e go out and get boozy than on St. Patrick's day.

What's the St. George's version of a £5 pint of rubbish Guinness and a clover hat?

Don't care that he wasn't English, his nationality doesn't stop the Georgians from having a knees up.

4 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Syrian according to Wikipedia!

Mother and Father were Greek. His father was a Roman officer.

There are debates over which city he was actually born in but all the cities debated all belonged to the Roman Empire so in truth St.George was a Roman with Greek heritage. 

Who cares where's he's from, why shouldn't we proud and celebrate being English for a day? I'm all for it, hope all who celebrate have a great day :thumbsup:

Archived