Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

13 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Yup, you don't think he's due for a goal after 10 consecutive games for Derby with ZERO? Law of averages says he has to score at some point. Surely. 550 minutes of starting and coming off the bench, but who's counting? And he still has believers? Mind boggling. It's no wonder we went and got Winnall. We need strikers who can score TODAY not years ago. Much prefer our chances with Nugent Vydra Winnall and/or Lawrence. 

Brilliant post the trouble with Martin the whole teams has to adapt to him But GR just like Pearson don't fall for it  Must admit he's a good finisher but that only depends what mood he's in But with a 3year deal no wonder he tells the DT today he's not worried about his lack of goals keep him on the bench 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Yup, you don't think he's due for a goal after 10 consecutive games for Derby with ZERO? Law of averages says he has to score at some point. Surely. 550 minutes of starting and coming off the bench, but who's counting? And he still has believers? Mind boggling. It's no wonder we went and got Winnall. We need strikers who can score TODAY not years ago. Much prefer our chances with Nugent Vydra Winnall and/or Lawrence. 

Vydra missing plenty, just a couple of scrawny penno's! Give it a rest.

1 minute ago, Mistaram said:

Brilliant post the trouble with Martin the whole teams has to adapt to him But GR just like Pearson don't fall for it  Must admit he's a good finisher but that only depends what mood he's in But with a 3year deal no wonder he tells the DT today he's not worried about his lack of goals keep him on the bench 

The whole team has to adapt to Vydra as a no10 or Nugent running the channels - get real will you.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Once again your vitriolic logic is flawed. Granted it's obvious GR doesn't see him as an automatic choice. Utilised correctly though, he still has plenty to offer at this level. One of his main attributes is the quickness of his footballing brain. Very much doubt that is in decline at 28/29 yrs old. If he relied on his pace then maybe you could have a point. However, once again your tunnel vision has clouded your judgement.

Maybe his brain can find the net. ?

2 hours ago, needles said:

Would you like to be wrong? Or would it eat at your soul if Chris Martin showed himself to be a good player and scored goals for Derby County in 2018?

Bloody hell just a goal would be nice - what we now need need to wait till 2018. FFS the last time he found the net was April 2016.  GR has brought Winnall in for a reason.

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The whole team has to adapt to Vydra as a no10 or Nugent running the channels - get real will you.

Sorry Roy could have sworn this post was about Martin not Vydra or Nugent  I don't need to get real mate its there for all to see 19 Derby league games without a goal  Why do you think Rowett don't start him why wouldn't Pearson start him get real will you 

3 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Sorry Roy could have sworn this post was about Martin not Vydra or Nugent  I don't need to get real mate its there for all to see 19 Derby league games without a goal  Why do you think Rowett don't start him why wouldn't Pearson start him get real will you 

Our 2 hardest games on paper so far this season were Sunderland and Wolves, Martin started both. Nugent and Vydra both started against the lesser teams (on paper) both have scored so kept their places, after the match 2 weeks ago against Sheff Utd I would not even like to guess who would be starting tomorrow. Any of the 4 strikers we have could be. Wouldn't surprise me to see any of them.

Pearson didn't start with Martin for the first 2 games of the season but then started him for the next 3 after.

Roy's point about Vydra and Nugent is that every single striker across the world, from Ronaldo and Messi down to Joe Bloggs down the Racecourse on a Sunday morning needs the players to play to their strengths. No point in having Messi, for example, if you put 100 crosses in a match, or play long ball.

2 hours ago, Mistaram said:

Do you use cinnamon when you make a blancmange?

Rynny Agree with some of what you say but I'm pretty sure managers don't pick strikers on the strength of the opposition He started against Sunderland and Wolves and was pretty much non existent in both Yes your right strikers need service but they also need to help their team mates with movement and effort At moment I don't think he's doing enough of both Don't get me wrong I would love him to go on a scoring run But I think we need to be asking ourselves why was our top scorer allowed to go on loan to a rival on the last day of the transfer window I'm pretty sure I no why 

Not read all the thread but will say Martin is still our best forward. Unfortunately if you look at the two games he's played in he's been absolutely isolated. The last 20 minutes against Sunderland was for me the best Martin has played and this was because Vydra joined him upfront. Still believe the Martin/Vydra partnership is the one that can work. However Rowett likes forwards who run the channels and Martin isn't that man. Don't really understand Rowett because if he's not going to play him then why not get rid deadline day if it is true Wolves came knocking. 

Dont think Rowett knows who his best striker is yet and to confuse us more hes bought in another. 

40 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Rynny Agree with some of what you say but I'm pretty sure managers don't pick strikers on the strength of the opposition He started against Sunderland and Wolves and was pretty much non existent in both Yes your right strikers need service but they also need to help their team mates with movement and effort At moment I don't think he's doing enough of both Don't get me wrong I would love him to go on a scoring run But I think we need to be asking ourselves why was our top scorer allowed to go on loan to a rival on the last day of the transfer window I'm pretty sure I no why 

Of course he picks his forward based on the opposition. He has stated that he will pick the team best suited for each game, horses for courses.

55 minutes ago, rynny said:

Of course he picks his forward based on the opposition. He has stated that he will pick the team best suited for each game, horses for courses.

After agree to disagree but I've feeling we are going to regret giving him a 3year £2.5millon pound contract

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Here we go again - Sun on Sunday are reporting that “Chris Martin is on the top of Wolves January list of transfer targets”. 

This is from Sky Sports website. 

So the best team in the league want to sign Martin, but but but... he's slow ...he went a long time without scoring...

I like Martin, but if we could get circa 3-4 million for him I'd sell. 

Rowett has spent the money he had available very wisely in my opinion and if it meant him being able to buy a couple of really good youngsters from the lower leagues I would be all for it.

We have Nugent, Winnall and Bent now all going for them 3 places up front which doesn't include any of the youngsters which could be needed in an emergency, all who are much more suited to Rowetts style of play.

Archived