Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

11 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

The prime example was the through ball that got played into them both. Vydra ran towards the far post for the cutback, Martin thought Vydra was going to get it, then by the time he realised it was left for him, he didn't have the pace to get on the end of it; chance wasted.

noticed that too, not very pleasant on a few levels.  Wrong to jump to conclusions based on a single event but it wasn't a great example of a pairing is working.  They don't need to be mates but complaining at each........

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Whilst I don't disagree that he doesn't suit the way Rowett generally sets up as a team, what he does give us is option to adapt that style. For example, the last two home games where both opponents have parked the proverbial bus. It's all well and good saying sell him and sign a top class striker but of all the people advocating this, I've yet to see any of them come up with the actual name of this so called 'top class striker.'

I think the term ‘top class striker’ is going to be difficult to deliver.

Names I’ve seen mentioned,Adams,Hugil...hardly top class.

You would have to hope that GR knows exactly what and who he’s after.

Zahore would be good but,he’s not leaving Cardiff unless it’s for the Premiership and it would be ridiculous money.

As long as we don’t do anything insane like try and get Jordan Rhodes.

Clubs will try and have our pants down if we get a decent fee for Martin.

Have to also agree what has already been said. The Vydra-Martin partnership did not work at all at the weekend.I think they understood each other's movement a bit but Martin was far too slow to react to Vydra's clever lay offs. Not slow in terms of thinking but physically too slow because we know that isn't one of Martin's assets.

Nugent and Vydra is clearly our best forward partnership.

However, I wouldn't sell Martin. If we play Martin, I'd play him alongside Winnall rather than alongside the other two.

9 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I think the term ‘top class striker’ is going to be difficult to deliver.

Names I’ve seen mentioned,Adams,Hugil...hardly top class.

You would have to hope that GR knows exactly what and who he’s after.

Zahore would be good but,he’s not leaving Cardiff unless it’s for the Premiership and it would be ridiculous money.

As long as we don’t do anything insane like try and get Jordan Rhodes.

Clubs will try and have our pants down if we get a decent fee for Martin.

I’d sell Martin but wouldn’t look to bring in a new striker on a permanent until next season when we know what league/budget we are operating in

Instead sell Martin & use the wages freed up to bring a Premier League striker on loan who isn’t featuring every week & needs game time Dominic Solanke, Jerome Sinclair, Danny Ings or Chuba Akpom. All are more mobile than Martin & would fit into GR’s system better & give cover alongside Winnall, Vydra & Nugent

All about the fee and if there's a plan in place  to use said money ,, we have had plenty of games in the past with Chris martin playing where we have created nothing in games when opponents parked the bus, when that happens it needs a spark of magic ,whether that be a martin lay off or a timed run in behind by one of the other strikers onto a cracking hudds/ Thorne pass but both scenarios are just as capable of drawing a blank ,,

if it's a crap fee offer then keep him without doubt ,, he will play a part over the season if he stays ,,

honestly though I will be very surprised if there is any truth to this rumour 

17 minutes ago, archied said:

All about the fee and if there's a plan in place  to use said money ,, we have had plenty of games in the past with Chris martin playing where we have created nothing in games when opponents parked the bus, when that happens it needs a spark of magic ,whether that be a martin lay off or a timed run in behind by one of the other strikers onto a cracking hudds/ Thorne pass but both scenarios are just as capable of drawing a blank ,,

if it's a crap fee offer then keep him without doubt ,, he will play a part over the season if he stays ,,

honestly though I will be very surprised if there is any truth to this rumour 

Didn't we turn down the offer from them just before the transfer window closed?

If so, it wouldn't really be a surprise if they'd come back to him. Paying 5 million or so is nothing if it guarantees promotion for them.

23 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

I’d sell Martin but wouldn’t look to bring in a new striker on a permanent until next season when we know what league/budget we are operating in

Instead sell Martin & use the wages freed up to bring a Premier League striker on loan who isn’t featuring every week & needs game time Dominic Solanke, Jerome Sinclair, Danny Ings or Chuba Akpom. All are more mobile than Martin & would fit into GR’s system better & give cover alongside Winnall, Vydra & Nugent

I can go along with the reasoning of this.

3 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Didn't we turn down the offer from them just before the transfer window closed?

If so, it wouldn't really be a surprise if they'd come back to him. Paying 5 million or so is nothing if it guarantees promotion for them.

Was it ever confirmed that wolves bid for him and we turned them down? Thought it was just rumoured

4 hours ago, Cool As Custard said:

Can’t say I agree with the sell bit, but you have put forward a very good argument. If he is sold I would hope for something along those.

7 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Quite,here's a reminder for the dumbkoffs amongst us of why we still need Chris Martin...

Watch and inwardly digest.

There you go,, that's exactly the kind of stuff that pushes people towards a less balanced view on Chris martin , if anyone doesn't see Chris martin ( rowett included) as you do they are labled know nothing idiots ,no matter how many years they have watched him and Derby ,you do the bloke no favours as people then post the negative s  ( there are some just as with all players) just to balance out your obsessive martin worship ,, 

1 hour ago, archied said:

There you go,, that's exactly the kind of stuff that pushes people towards a less balanced view on Chris martin , if anyone doesn't see Chris martin ( rowett included) as you do they are labled know nothing idiots ,no matter how many years they have watched him and Derby ,you do the bloke no favours as people then post the negative s  ( there are some just as with all players) just to balance out your obsessive martin worship ,, 

Brilliant reaction??

There's two issues with Martin.

1. Despite being a very good striker at this level, he isn't ideally suited to a high intensity style of football that GR likes.  The fact that people think he could be used effectively with Vydra misses the point that GR likes his forwards to constantly press and chase.  Whether we like that system is irrelevant. That's GR's system and Martin isn't perfect in it. 

2. His wages are reputed to be 60k / week. That's enormous at this level and because of ffp restricts our ability to tweak the squad.  Very few clubs in the championship would match that.  Most would ask us to contribute wages even if we sold him I suspect.  Wolves are about the only club I can think who'd buy him and pay the wages. 

If SM was still manager I wouldn't sell Martin. He'd be 1st name on team sheet.  With GR as manager and his style of play, I'd sell Martin. Players need to suit systems. 

14 minutes ago, feisty said:

1. Despite being a very good striker at this level, he isn't ideally suited to a high intensity style of football that GR likes.  The fact that people think he could be used effectively with Vydra misses the point that GR likes his forwards to constantly press and chase.  Whether we like that system is irrelevant. That's GR's system and Martin isn't perfect in it. 

2. His wages are reputed to be 60k / week. That's enormous at this level and because of ffp restricts our ability to tweak the squad.  Very few clubs in the championship would match that.  Most would ask us to contribute wages even if we sold him I suspect.  Wolves are about the only club I can think who'd buy him and pay the wages. 

If SM was still manager I wouldn't sell Martin. He'd be 1st name on team sheet.  With GR as manager and his style of play, I'd sell Martin. Players need to suit systems. 

I have no doubt he is well paid (why wouldn't he) but 60k/week?

laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif

1 hour ago, feisty said:

Replace week with month!

Archived