Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

You can only beat the teams in your era...and we beat the finest fair and square for a good 3 seasons 72/75 with one of the finest footballers I have had the pleasure of watching. In fact we had a team full of fine players but king kev was the best..

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, superzak said:

You can only beat the teams in your era...and we beat the finest fair and square for a good 3 seasons 72/75 with one of the finest footballers I have had the pleasure of watching. In fact we had a team full of fine players but king kev was the best..

not a bad season in 72  .. just look at some of those results ...  cant see some of them being repeated for a long time 

http://www.11v11.com/teams/derby-county/tab/matches/season/1972/       :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, toddy said:

You shouldn't mention KH in the same sentence as Martin - as KH played and scored at a much higher level than Martin.

Martin and Hector in the same breath - shocking :whistle:

Could you address his very valid point instead of deflecting it please? 

1 hour ago, superzak said:

He certainly was.

But why deny what a fine striker Chris Martin is?

39 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

http://soccersouls.com/2017/04/20/go-for-it-paul-lambert-this-3-83m-derby-ace-could-be-a-shrewd-signing-for-wolves-in-the-summer/

"Currently on loan at Fulham, striker Chris Martin will become a free agent at the end of this season when his contract expires at Derby County."

Explain to me how someone gets paid for this!

Good to see @toddy branching out beyond the forum.

4 hours ago, swiftur said:

Why would we spout shi&% about him.Finest player of his generation at gliding across a football pitch at speed with the ball under control.The comparison is an insult.

Cheers for taking the argument completely out of context. Clearly that wasn't the comparison. 

It doesn't really matter who the player is, it could be Martin, King Kev or ******* King Kong for all I care but the stats you measure players by should be the same for all, not just change it here and there to fit an agenda. 

36 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Cheers for taking the argument completely out of context. Clearly that wasn't the comparison. 

It doesn't really matter who the player is, it could be Martin, King Kev or ******* King Kong for all I care but the stats you measure players by should be the same for all, not just change it here and there to fit an agenda. 

Are you new to "the internet"?

10 hours ago, lrm14 said:

Could you address his very valid point instead of deflecting it please? 

Please keep up, I did -

Kevin Hector played and scored at a much higher level than Martin

Your debate is like saying Ricky Miller is a better striker than Martin!!!

Its all about context and placing KH and CM in the same bracket is madness.

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He certainly was.

But why deny what a fine striker Chris Martin is?

Context.

Martin is a championship striker -no more than this.

Martin had a good season for us in 2013/14, ok 2 seasons with us.

Kevin Hector was with us 12 seasons, played in European cups, won the league twice, played at the highest level and played extremely well  and tormented  the best defenders in the world  - Kevin Hector played at a level only Martin can dream at playing.

1 hour ago, toddy said:

Context.

Kevin Hector was with us 12 seasons, played in European cups, won the league twice, played at the highest level and played extremely well  and tormented  the best defenders in the world  - Kevin Hector played at a level only Martin can dream at playing.

But the professional football landscape was so different back then, KH was a legend for us but professional football is a different beast now. I can never wrap my head around comparing football with such a large gap between them. It's even a different game from the early 90's to what it is today. 

The highest level in when KH was in his prime would not be the highest level, IMO the modern day Championship is on par if not just under. Today's top-tier is a higher standard than what it was. That Martin regularly plays in the 2nd tier, and has been capped internationally, shouldn't be dismissed so easily. 

2 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

But the professional football landscape was so different back then, KH was a legend for us but professional football is a different beast now. I can never wrap my head around comparing football with such a large gap between them. It's even a different game from the early 90's to what it is today. 

The highest level in when KH was in his prime would not be the highest level, IMO the modern day Championship is on par if not just under. Today's top-tier is a higher standard than what it was. That Martin regularly plays in the 2nd tier, and has been capped internationally, shouldn't be dismissed so easily. 

I would agree with the game has changed, yes possibly faster, but the skill levels are the same, players have not grown extra legs or heads, so it may be quicker but to say the level of the old First division is on par with the current championship is nonsense. I think we were the 2nd most succesfull English team in the 1970's, Liverpool being no1.

You could actually argue it is actually easier to score goals now than back then as the goal size has increased. Its is certainly a less physical now than then.

11 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I judge all players the same.On football ability.

3 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

You think?

I saw some clips of us in the 70's and the standard looks dreadful by Championship standards! 

4 hours ago, toddy said:

Context.

Can I give double likes please?

11 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Are you new to "the internet"?

Unfortunately not, 2648 posts too deep. 

4 hours ago, toddy said:

Its all about context and placing KH and CM in the same bracket is madness.

You can't claim that when you constantly ignore it to make your stance on CM. :lol: Why judge player X on scoring fewer goals now than his debut season but not player Y. That's the bottom line of your argument. 

Anyway, like a few others in this debate I think I'm out. Blatantly ignoring the context of my argument and shifting it onto a straight "who's a better striker" comparison between CM and KH which is, of course, absolute madness. No doubt this one will get deflected onto something just as pointless. 

Some people see only what they want to see. Adios. 

Archived