Rough part of town in Derby?

ronnieronalde

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Tombo said:

Take the point about Allenton because it is a rubbish area to live in but having grown up around there, I've got to say it's not as bad as certain areas of Normanton and Chaddesden. I don't think there's anywhere in Derby that's really bad, save a few streets. There's good and bad areas in each part of Derby.

Having said that, there's very few places in Derby I'm happy walking around in past midnight... Not the friendliest city you'll ever see but there's nowhere that's really "the ghetto"

We're middle of the road. Not that exciting but not too bad.

3 hours ago, DerbyMark said:

Pretty rough round here I must admit lol 

Lot of dodgy people knocking about...

And I agree Derby has never been the friendliest city in the world.

But it's home.

I moved halfway through my life to Nottingham.

Derby is like the Cotswolds in comparison.

On 12/04/2017 at 10:44, StivePesley said:

Funny how Derby has evolved really. Normanton/Peartree has always been the traditional area where immigrants settle, but it's not really rough in the way you describe. The poor white working class areas were traditionally Chad and Spondon, but even these have improved greatly since the 80s.

Allenton is probably the grimmest bit of Derby in terms of layabout long term unemployed chavs and impoverished truants hanging around, but for truly rough you need to head out into Derbyshire towns like Shirebrook.

But I suggest you don't!

Yeah Normanton is lovely, no long term unemployed layabout chavs there.... just hundreds of working age men in organised criminal gangs.

On 22/04/2017 at 22:24, StivePesley said:

Bit like the army then

?

As far as the roughest part of Derby is concerned, the whole place, and indeed the whole of the UK, went down the pan with the end of sugar cubes and sugar cube tongs in tea shops and cafes.

Sachets? Ghastly. Only with Mary Berry as Home Secretary will we be able to roll this back.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:10, LesterRam said:

Anyone live in Bolsover, took the kids to the castle yesterday, the town centre was absolutely desolate, all the shops were open but nobody around, did we have a bomb scare around Chesterfield and nobody tell me?

Everyone will have been in the Weatherspoons.

27 minutes ago, Anon said:

Everyone will have been in the Weatherspoons.

it was very eerie, all the shops were occupied which is a rarity in the UK but nobody was about, how does a place maintain a full high street without custom, is it some kind of mafia owned town and these shops are a front for something sinister?

6 hours ago, LesterRam said:

it was very eerie, all the shops were occupied which is a rarity in the UK but nobody was about, how does a place maintain a full high street without custom, is it some kind of mafia owned town and these shops are a front for something sinister?

Dennis spends all his MP's allowance there.

On 27/04/2017 at 21:06, Lambchop said:

Lived on Crewe Street and worked at Nightingale in the late 80s; that was quite grim. 

Generally like Derby though, because there're so many good pubs. Feel much safer in Derby than Sheffield or Nottingham. 

Did you work with Janet & Neville?

I live just off the top of Burton Road which I guess was quite posh in the 1960/70's but is pretty mixed now. But I am a Johnny come lately having been here only 20 years.

The one that made me chuckle was an article in the DET a while back with a photo of a shop front on Saddler gate with an ad in the window ... "Shop Assistants required" ....... "No West End Girls" .... equal opportunities or what !    .. what was the west end ?

Archived