Rough part of town in Derby?

ronnieronalde

When I was growing up, the place I lived was always the roughest, poorest part of Sunderland, the place where kids weren't even always guaranteed a hot meal or a change of clothes. The place where kids would prefer to walk the streets all day than go to school.

Where would you say that area is in Derby these days? Does such a place even still exist in today's modern world?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

When I was growing up, the place I lived was always the roughest, poorest part of Sunderland, the place where kids weren't even always guaranteed a hot meal or a change of clothes. The place where kids would prefer to walk the streets all day than go to school.

Where would you say that area is in Derby these days? Does such a place even still exist in today's modern world?

Darley Abbey

With a weird twist of fate I somehow got to know the posh parts of Derby very well, and even a couple of the rougher places when I played Sunday League there.

Long time ago though so just looking for an updated version.

Two brilliant answers though, made me chuckle inwardly ;-)

Nottingham had some right dodgy places in the 60's and 70's [waits for they still have] .The Meadows ,Hyson Green , Narrow Marsh etc had a fascination for me.

In Derby the area round the old BBG was great for night match's I guess I like the dark dank Jack the Ripper streets of Great Britain . 

Funny how Derby has evolved really. Normanton/Peartree has always been the traditional area where immigrants settle, but it's not really rough in the way you describe. The poor white working class areas were traditionally Chad and Spondon, but even these have improved greatly since the 80s.

Allenton is probably the grimmest bit of Derby in terms of layabout long term unemployed chavs and impoverished truants hanging around, but for truly rough you need to head out into Derbyshire towns like Shirebrook.

But I suggest you don't!

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Funny how Derby has evolved really. Normanton/Peartree has always been the traditional area where immigrants settle, but it's not really rough in the way you describe. The poor white working class areas were traditionally Chad and Spondon, but even these have improved greatly since the 80s.

Allenton is probably the grimmest bit of Derby in terms of layabout long term unemployed chavs and impoverished truants hanging around, but for truly rough you need to head out into Derbyshire towns like Shirebrook.

But I suggest you don't!

Played a footy match against Shirebook at the weekend. Lucky to get out of there with just a few cuts and bruises!

We once met a couple of canadian backpackers in a pub in Derby who asked us advice on some nice rural Derbyshire areas to visit. We drew them a cycle route around the Pinxton/Ironville areas, with a suggestion that they stop for lunch at the old King Billy in Ironville. I'll never know whether they took our advice, but i like to think they did.

I think Allenton/Osmaston are seen as rougher parts of the city, whether fair or not.

In terms of the city centre there are pockets of "difficult" areas, certainly around Green Lane, Curzon St and those areas. Lots going on at the moment to try and change that though.

Green Lane should be Derby's version of Hockley, just not happened yet.

As a lad in the 1950s we were considered posh because we had curtains. We lived in Abingdon Street just off London Road next to the really rough area of Cotton Lane, Graham St and Russell St. Not sure but I think that's all been demolished now. 

Nothing says 'rough' quite like where I lived in 1967-8. My father took a pub after leaving the army, and our first one was the Queen's Arms on St Annes Well Road, Nottingham. The old saying "Where there's muck, there's brass" could never be more wrong - it was gut-wrenchingly poor and squalid.

Archived