Derby Comedy Festival 2017

TuffLuff

*makes joke before anyone else that it's been on since August at Pride Park*

http://www.derbycomedyfestival.co.uk/whats-ons

Glad to see this is back on again with some decent bookings (a dodgy Lee Hurst one too). I know it's received criticism in the past for not having 'known' names but I would like to see events like this get supported. If you look at Leicester's Comedy Festival, that's built up really well to the point it's a cultural highlight for the city (and also now brings people into the city for the two weeks it's on) and there's no reason why the Derby one couldn't do the same with support.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Saw him in Buxton last Friday! Always made sure to see his shows whether on tour or at Edinburgh 

I used to go up to the fringe every year, but my friends who lived there all moved away. Selfish barstewards.

28 minutes ago, Anon said:

I used to go up to the fringe every year, but my friends who lived there all moved away. Selfish barstewards.

Pretty much exactly the same happened to me, did one year in student accommodation and it just made the time there so expensive it was no longer enjoyable. Found a replacement though Machynlleth Comedy Festival during May Bank Holiday weekend, which is well worth checking out for a good weekend away. Only bad sides are is there are a lot of preview shows (which doesn't really bother me and they are still cheap) and it usually rains so come prepared and avoid camping if you can. It's a good mix of shows anyway with young and experienced comedians sharing similar stages and is a good model on how a comedy festival can work for the community and weekenders coming in which Derby Festival could look to follow (just to bring this full circle!)

1 hour ago, RAMalicious said:

OK so besides Tony Law - anyone else worth booking?

I think this is just the first wave, I expect a few pages more will be up soon. Would hope so anyway!

It honestly depends what you like. I hate recommending too much because what I like might be completely different. From what's been announced, Marcel Lucont is very good character comedy (but a bit pricey maybe if you have to buy 2 or 3), Patrick Monohan is nice light entertainment fun, seen good reviews for Rachel Parris and Simon Caine and I liked Damien Clark when I saw him.

Sometimes it's worth just taking a punt on someone, but alas especially with live comedy it can go completely the other way! In think they usually organise some 'variety night' type shows eventually so might be worth seeing about one of them

5 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

I think this is just the first wave, I expect a few pages more will be up soon. Would hope so anyway!

It honestly depends what you like. I hate recommending too much because what I like might be completely different. From what's been announced, Marcel Lucont is very good character comedy (but a bit pricey maybe if you have to buy 2 or 3), Patrick Monohan is nice light entertainment fun, seen good reviews for Rachel Parris and Simon Caine and I liked Damien Clark when I saw him.

Sometimes it's worth just taking a punt on someone, but alas especially with live comedy it can go completely the other way! In think they usually organise some 'variety night' type shows eventually so might be worth seeing about one of them

OK thanks TL I'll hang on a bit then try and catch a couple of gigs. I like/appreciate most comedy - even when it goes south - as I know just how hard it is.

13 hours ago, RAMalicious said:

OK thanks TL I'll hang on a bit then try and catch a couple of gigs. I like/appreciate most comedy - even when it goes south - as I know just how hard it is.

No problem, happy to see there's a couple of more comedy fans on here!

Once the next wave appears I'll post again anyway 

Looks like the latest batch has been quietly added and some good additions too! Lost Voice Guy, Ivo Graham, Abi Roberts, Archie Maddocks, Tom Wrigglesworth, Bobby Mair and more!

Also the unfortunately titled Kevin's Komedy Kitchen....

• 5 weeks later...

Archived