Jump to content

Racism in football


David
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've just seen Michael Johnson tweet this....

I can't help but think how would this be seen if it was Football's White List, celebrating white people in football.

I don't deny there is still a big problem with racism in football but is this not creating a them and us divide when we should be all working to remove that divide and be as one regardless of skin colour?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

I can't help but think how would this be seen if it was Football's White List, celebrating white people in football.

I don't deny there is still a big problem with racism in football but is this not creating a them and us divide when we should be all working to remove that divide and be as one regardless of skin colour?

It's not just something that happens in football. While it is generally accepted by society that discrimination is wrong, there seems to be a type of racism that is sanctioned by the state; as well as the Black List Awards a quick tintanet search throws up the following:

Miss Black Britain

The Black Youth Achievement Awards

The Black Comedy Awards

Black Fathers in the 21st Century

The London Schools and Black Child Awards

The Music of Black Origin Awards.

The list goes on and on, and these are just a few of the national awards, there must be hundreds of local things of a similar nature.

Now, whilst all these things may (or may not) be very laudable and perhaps in some way useful, replace the word black with white and we all know that there would be outrage and a great screeching and wailing from the great and the good. Try applying for a grant to set up an Anglo-Saxon Community Centre and see how far you get.

It's surely beyond obvious that awards and societies of this nature are divisive, counter-productive and just plain unfair.

 

 

Rant ends.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sith Happens
7 hours ago, David said:

I've just seen Michael Johnson tweet this....

I can't help but think how would this be seen if it was Football's White List, celebrating white people in football.

I don't deny there is still a big problem with racism in football but is this not creating a them and us divide when we should be all working to remove that divide and be as one regardless of skin colour?

 

I guess its no different to any minority group, if that's the right expression. There are specific awards for LGBT in business etc, gay pride.

As you say white people would be criticised for some sort of celebration of being white, as I'm sure anyone organising a straight pride march would be criticised too.

In my mind it creates barriers, but I am not a member of any minorities so its hard to judge. Black people may think they still in 2017 struggle to have the opportunities or obtain recognition against white counterparts so I guess this is why these lists exist, like wise LGBT awards etc.

It really doesn't worry me, people can celebrate what they want, within reason.

I think racism in football is far less now than it was, but any is unacceptable.

Football has taken huge strides to eradicate racism and homophobia, its for that reason I still cannot believe that Russia was awarded the world cup. I guess £££££££ is still more important even today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I guess its no different to any minority group, if that's the right expression. There are specific awards for LGBT in business etc, gay pride.

As you say white people would be criticised for some sort of celebration of being white, as I'm sure anyone organising a straight pride march would be criticised too.

In my mind it creates barriers, but I am not a member of any minorities so its hard to judge. Black people may think they still in 2017 struggle to have the opportunities or obtain recognition against white counterparts so I guess this is why these lists exist, like wise LGBT awards etc.

It really doesn't worry me, people can celebrate what they want, within reason.

I think racism in football is far less now than it was, but any is unacceptable.

Football has taken huge strides to eradicate racism and homophobia, its for that reason I still cannot believe that Russia was awarded the world cup. I guess £££££££ is still more important even today.

I'll go along with this.

As you say it's I'm not a minority either so it's difficult.

Pleased to see Michael Johnson recognised(and NB),I do know that he is a top bloke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, David said:

His Grandad was African American (according to Wiki)

Which makes me wonder just how "black" do you need to be to qualify for one of these events (not just the one featured here).

A good friend of mine has a black grandad (Nigerian I think, so very dark skinned) but he's as fair haired & pasty white as me. He would have looked bloody funny stood on the stage at one of these things - assuming he'd have been allowed in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Which makes me wonder just how "black" do you need to be to qualify for one of these events (not just the one featured here).

A good friend of mine has a black grandad (Nigerian I think, so very dark skinned) but he's as fair haired & pasty white as me. He would have looked bloody funny stood on the stage at one of these things - assuming he'd have been allowed in.

Assuming he'd have been allowed in ??!  Outrageous racism. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Eh?.

Quote

A good friend of mine has a black grandad (Nigerian I think, so very dark skinned) but he's as fair haired & pasty white as me. He would have looked bloody funny stood on the stage at one of these things - assuming he'd have been allowed in.

If your friend were to be denied entry because of his colour, then that would be the most blatant racism, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, David said:

I've just seen Michael Johnson tweet this....

I can't help but think how would this be seen if it was Football's White List, celebrating white people in football.

I don't deny there is still a big problem with racism in football but is this not creating a them and us divide when we should be all working to remove that divide and be as one regardless of skin colour?

 

I do deny there is a big problem with racism in football, in this country at least. Racist minorities do still exist, but they've been successfully forced to the fringes of the sport. The few racist incidents that occur across the entire UK game are reported and treated with the utmost severity.

I don't have a problem with "the black list" existing, but like you, I think it is completely misguided and sends the absolute wrong message. I utterly despise the idea that a black kid can't have a white role model, yet that way of thinking is at the absolute core of everything the founders of this event believe;

"We believe by highlighting role models – working across a wide range of positions in football – young people will be more encouraged to think about how they can get involved in the sport beyond the field of play."

Why can't a young black Derby fan want to emulate Will Hughes or Scott Carson? Did all white Derby fans give up on the idea of being a marauding wing back because they didn't have the same skin pigment as Chris Powell? Did they all stop asking to play up front in youth football because Wanchope had so much more melanin than they did?

It drives me ******* insane that these regressive fools seem to think that people from opposite ends of the country, opposite class backgrounds, opposite ends of the political spectrum, should all want to be defined by something as trivial as the colour of their skin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the funniest bit of banter I heard was on the popside when Floyd Street played for us .Floyd came steaming over towards the popside to tackle this player and a voice pipes up " kill the white barsteward Floyd"

All in a time when racism was rife in football .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sith Happens
4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Is this a bigger crime than a player elbowing another player in the face.

It depends what was said, probably not. What 'seems' to be worse is that it appears it may just be based on one mans words against anothers.

Other Burton players claim they didnt hear anything, and Nigel Clough has stated it would have been totally out of character if it happened.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Paul71 said:

It depends what was said, probably not. What 'seems' to be worse is that it appears it may just be based on one mans words against anothers.

 

 

Every Company, club, corporation and and agency in this country is now so terrified of being labeled as 'Institutionally racist' that they will almost always take the coward's way out and proceed on the basis that all allegations of racism have some foundation. And it seems that in these cases the word of a non white person carries more weight. 

In this particular case, it looks like the Football League have gone with "If in doubt, ban the bugger."  Much less fall-out that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Every Company, club, corporation and and agency in this country is now so terrified of being labeled as 'Institutionally racist' that they will almost always take the coward's way out and proceed on the basis that all allegations of racism have some foundation. And it seems that in these cases the word of a non white person carries more weight. 

In this particular case, it looks like the Football League have gone with "If in doubt, ban the bugger."  Much less fall-out that way.

Although I don't disagree with your general statement, we don't know who heard what and the details. So I'm not going to jump to any conclusion. However if it's one man's word against another its unfair to take sides.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.