New Bike

Bridgford Ram

My mountain bike is about to give up the ghost so I am going to use the bike to work scheme at work to get a new one.  I don't want to spend much as I only use it to cycle 6 miles a day, to work and back again all on roads.  I also suspect that the bikes get knocked about in our bike shed.

I have been told that a hybrid would suit me - any opinions?  How much should I look to spend?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your budget???  As others have mentioned, a fairly light mountain bike, with hybrid tyres will do the job on roads, cycle paths & grass.  If they qualify through your scheme, go to Leisure Lakes, their budget stuff for around £300-400 are a lot better than what Halfords/Evans Cycles could offer...

I spent about £300 on my hybrid a couple of years ago. I'm a fair weather cyclist, with work about 7 miles away. It was a fairly bog standard Halfords one - which a lot of people will sniff at - but it is perfectly adequate for my needs.

Looking forward to the light evenings, to get out on it more.

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

What's your budget???  As others have mentioned, a fairly light mountain bike, with hybrid tyres will do the job on roads, cycle paths & grass.  If they qualify through your scheme, go to Leisure Lakes, their budget stuff for around £300-400 are a lot better than what Halfords/Evans Cycles could offer...

Around the amount you mention - £300-£400.  I have not heard of Leisure Lakes, are they just Derby based or national.  I was looking at Cycle Republic (which I believe is Halfords bike brand).

Just now, Bridgford Ram said:

All roads and yes I do.  The Embankment in Nottingham does have a lot of branches collecting on the roads so I need a sturdy tyre.

That was going to be pretty much my reply, but a bike that has the tyres to suit. Some of these hybrids can have quite narrow and little grip so just bare the winter in mind that's all.

More you pay, lighter you get. 

Mountain bikes are heavier than hybrids. 

To be honest tho unless you're racing or carrying it upstairs weight doesn't matter that much 

1 minute ago, David said:

That was going to be pretty much my reply, but a bike that has the tyres to suit. Some of these hybrids can have quite narrow and little grip so just bare the winter in mind that's all.

More you pay, lighter you get. 

Mountain bikes are heavier than hybrids. 

To be honest tho unless you're racing or carrying it upstairs weight doesn't matter that much 

And my view is, if it is heavier I have to work harder and get fitter.  It is not as if I am racing.  No use paying loads on an expensive bike and then wearing a rucksack that weighs a ton!

On 28/03/2017 at 18:00, Bridgford Ram said:

My mountain bike is about to give up the ghost so I am going to use the bike to work scheme at work to get a new one.  I don't want to spend much as I only use it to cycle 6 miles a day, to work and back again all on roads.  I also suspect that the bikes get knocked about in our bike shed.

I have been told that a hybrid would suit me - any opinions?  How much should I look to spend?

I just bought a Carrera Parva second hand to cycle to work(when there is no traffic).

It's just a cheap hybrid,I got it second hand but I think they're about £300 new.

Nothing wrong with it,nice,light easy to ride bike.

It has got mountain bike tyres on it,the roads are a bit rough here.

16 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Around the amount you mention - £300-£400.  I have not heard of Leisure Lakes, are they just Derby based or national.  I was looking at Cycle Republic (which I believe is Halfords bike brand).

Leisure Lakes have a shop in Breaston, there's a few around the country but that's the closest.  They provide really good service and you'll be able to get a good spec Specialized or Trek hard-tail with hybrid tyres for that amount.

If you're still looking, I've got a Trek 7.4 Hybrid with disc brakes for sale, 20 inch frame, I think. It was over £700 new from Fearns in Matlock and hasn't been used very much. Offers around £350. 

I got it on the cycle to work scheme and worked out it would have been cheaper if I'd just bought it outright.

Archived