Ilson station

Grimbeard

East Midland Trains kindly delivered a booklet to my house this morning, proudly announcing that Ilkeston station is finally open for business.

It seems that after umpteen years and several gazillion pounds, I can now get to Snottingham in 15 minutes, be in Sheffield in about half an hour or Manchester in an hour and a half. Hooray!

Derby? No, sorry can't do that, if I want to go there by train, I have to go to Nottingham, change trains and come back 16 miles in the opposite direction.

This is Ilkeston station, in DERBYSHIRE.  Aggghhh!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

East Midland Trains kindly delivered a booklet to my house this morning, proudly announcing that Ilkeston station is finally open for business.

It seems that after umpteen years and several gazillion pounds, I can now get to Snottingham in 15 minutes, be in Sheffield in about half an hour or Manchester in an hour and a half. Hooray!

Derby? No, sorry can't do that, if I want to go there by train, I have to go to Nottingham, change trains and come back 16 miles in the opposite direction.

wasn't built by Fawaz was it?

11 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Be handy for the wendies and Utd next year.

The vagaries of the track layout I guess. Any indication of the parking charges at Ilkeston?

We quite often drive up to Alfreton and park there when we get the train to Manchester or Liverpool. Much easier and cheaper than paying through the nose to park in Derby and then change trains on top of all that

1 hour ago, Grimbeard said:

Change at Chesterfield if going to Derby. 

18 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Yes better than going to Notts.

that's a bit of a run around, I thought my missus using six trains and £240 to travel to Kent and back was fun, two trains to travel to your own capital sounds even better :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, StivePesley said:

The vagaries of the track layout I guess. Any indication of the parking charges at Ilkeston?

We quite often drive up to Alfreton and park there when we get the train to Manchester or Liverpool. Much easier and cheaper than paying through the nose to park in Derby and then change trains on top of all that

95 spaces, 3 quid a day.

edit: That's £3 per space per day, not £3 for 95 spaces.

PistoldPete2
12 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

95 spaces, 3 quid a day.

edit: That's £3 per space per day, not £3 for 95 spaces.

Sounds like a good option of travelling to Manchester. Maybe in time there will be a link to Derby too. It's the same with Langley mill.... Quick link to snottingham none to Derby. 

20 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

We used to have the Derby Friargate - Ilkeston North - Nottingham Victoria GNR/ LNER line but that got closed in the 60's.

Friargate.jpg

45 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Yes good point - and they won't be reopening that any time soon, as most of the Derby end is now houses!

The old bloke that sells concrete garden ornaments and planters from the old West Hallam station might not be too chuffed either.

30 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

As a former Mickleover dweller, I'd be fascinated to know what route the train line took between there and Friargate.. the old station house is still there, and the former track between Mickleover and Etwall is now a cycle path.

There is always a nerd out there to help you!

http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/features/friargatebridge/maps/index.htm

This lad has mapped it all out on Google Maps

46 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

As a former Mickleover dweller, I'd be fascinated to know what route the train line took between there and Friargate.. the old station house is still there, and the former track between Mickleover and Etwall is now a cycle path.

I can remember me & my mates trekking from Station Road up to Etwall swimming baths, in the summer holidays, when the sleepers were still there.  Felt like you were in the film Stand By Me... 

Archived