Craig Ramage, who would you keep?

unclej

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People seem reluctant to place many of our midfielders in that  list despite it being the most unbalanced area of the pitch. Once Thorne returns I'd stick my neck out and say the only ones if be that fussed about are him, Hughes and Ince. The rest have all failed to live up to the expectations.

I think we need a major cull, if that is possible. We clearly have a mental block.. the 'click' needs to be dismantled. 

The affinity people have towards the likes of Bryson, Russell & Keogh needs to stop. The first two particularly haven't been the same players for a long time, get over it and move on.

We need to address the same problem areas for 3 seasons; a holding midfielder, a decent right back and a left winger. After that lets see some rough diamonds, no more big time charlies please!

Personally think Ramage isnt as bad as people making out. Knows the game and was a clever footballer himself. All about opinions, but I like energetic teams who press, get stuck in and look to be positive in their play and play in the other teams half. This is what Rowett wants and generally what Ramage desires when commentating on the games. He continously talks about breaking lines with passes, which is something we failed to do the last 3 months.

Completely agree that at the end of McClarens reign we were all sidewards/backwards and compeletly boring to watch. The energy levels and how rigid we were in possession were embarrassing. Those happy with this style of football can bore off. Butterfield emiptomized this the last couple months. Happy to just keep the ball with no purpose, with no desire to affect the game. I think there is a player in their too, but think he has been pathetic recently.

I personally wouldnt be quick to write off any of our current mob until the end of the season. See who fits into Rowetts plans and style of play and go from there. All the players in the squad have shown that they can be good players at this level in the right system/style of play for them. Lets see who flourishes under Rowett.

Think Ramage is more knowledgeable than people think. I was sat quite close to the commentators when we played Carlisle earlier in the season. They had dominated us and Ramage had worked out in the first 15 minutes what the problem was and what needed to be done to rectify it. Pearson had other ideas though.

2 hours ago, clarkeram7 said:

We need to address the same problem areas for 3 seasons; a holding midfielder, a decent right back

It wasn't so long ago that many were heralding Christie as premiership material or are you saying that we need a right back that can't run the line and doesn't trip over the right sided forward player? The same forward player that incidentally can't move into the centre when the right back gets to the byline  or cannot correctly perform the overlap (positionally) before the right back reaches the forward point.

If we then analyse defensively what this right back does it is dependent on the CB covering the RB position when forward and the CDM covering the CB further up the pitch. These latter two moves (or failure to manage them successfully) created exposure throughout that last few seasons. It is the coaches job to knock this out the team and make sure this failing does not happen and I tend to feel that Clement had a measure on this. Perhaps as we didn't have a naturally strong CDM throughout most of the last two seasons (as their main position), it would account for some of the errors but I tend to think it is a CB problem; one that has never been addressed.

Alternatively you can have a steady right back that does not create forward movement and also creates the mentality of sitting deep. I can think of this scenario on the left wing quite a lot when Warnock suffered nose bleeds when he went past the dizzy heights of the half way line, this totally stifled play in the opposition half.

3 hours ago, Ramdale said:

Personally think Ramage isnt as bad as people making out. Knows the game and was a clever footballer himself. All about opinions, but I like energetic teams who press, get stuck in and look to be positive in their play and play in the other teams half. This is what Rowett wants and generally what Ramage desires when commentating on the games. He continously talks about breaking lines with passes, which is something we failed to do the last 3 months.

Completely agree that at the end of McClarens reign we were all sidewards/backwards and compeletly boring to watch. The energy levels and how rigid we were in possession were embarrassing. Those happy with this style of football can bore off. Butterfield emiptomized this the last couple months. Happy to just keep the ball with no purpose, with no desire to affect the game. I think there is a player in their too, but think he has been pathetic recently.

I personally wouldnt be quick to write off any of our current mob until the end of the season. See who fits into Rowetts plans and style of play and go from there. All the players in the squad have shown that they can be good players at this level in the right system/style of play for them. Lets see who flourishes under Rowett.

I made a point of watching Butters against Forest once he came on to count the side passes he gets stick for. He didn't make one. Every pass was forward. 13 passes, two were very good through balls for Bennett. He also drove forward twice with the ball, once getting a shot off that was tipped away and second time to release Russell. The one time he dallied and thought about it, he lost possession. I really like the lad but I've always said he needs to play on instinct. The more he thinks the less effective he is. Same for Cyrus actually. 

If GR managed to get that little cameo out of him in 15 minutes, I'm hopeful we will see a better Butters. And better others. Bryson stood out too against Forest. 

If they don't get better, they can have no qualms if GR moves them on. I might like these players but I love Derby..

Who would I keep?

Carson

Chrisite, Keogh, Pearce/Shackell, Rawson, Forsyth, Lowe

Thorne, Johnson, Hughes, Butterfield, Bryson

Ince, Weimann, Russell, Anya

Martin, Nugent, Vydra

That would be my first team squad for next season without any incoming players. That'll take us to a squad of 18 with youths filling in for injuries/suspensions. Plenty of options and we should get to see a few more youths featuring for us next season.

Mitchell/Roos/other alternating on the bench depending on who features for the u23s. 

I see Rowett opting for a more 'basics first' route, possibly meaning Shackell over Pearce (no need for a high earner sitting 90% of the season on the bench). Rawson should be more than capable of filling in for 5-10 games when required. 

Anya provides backup on both sides of defence and on the wings. 

Enough quality central mid options for both a 2-man and 3-man midfield. Thorne and Johnson as the 'enforcers' in either a 2 or a 3. Hughes and Butterfield as playmakers. I'm unsure as to whether Bryson would suit a 2 though.

Ince first choice on the right with Russell as the backup. Russell first choice on the left with Anya and Weimann as backup.

Martin, Nugent and Vydra all offer different options depending on which system we go with. 

Can't see us signing many until we offload a lot first  I'd much rather we signed a first choice left winger dropping Weimann from my 18 and making Russell backup on both wings.

An upgrade on Pearce/Shackell if we can offload both and someone better is available. 

An upgrade on Christie if someone is available, resulting in him becoming available for sale. 

I'd be open to selling Bryson or Butterfield if a decent offer came in and if someone of similar or greater ability was available for less. 

Depends how we play but maybe Hughes is not needed next season. A good player if you are playing posssesion football. But we're going down the more direct route I would imagine. I'm guessing a tough tackling high energy midfielder coming in to replace the likes of Hughes and butterfield 

9 hours ago, PrestonRam said:

I'd keep Christie because it'd cost too much to get someone of his quality or better. Think we need to strengthen other areas more.

Why would it, Christie didn't cost much and he's not more than a good Championship RB.

One thing that would improve things would be another ex player doing the summary afterwards with Ramage instead reading out idiotic texts and tweets.

I want to hear someone who (should) know more than me. Not knee jerk responses from fellow fans. 

Maybe it would only be cost effective for home games. It doesn't need any additional voice during the game but ht and particularly ft it could really raise the game. Pun intended.

Personally I only hear Mr Rammage on the way home from Derby home  games. I don't get what all the hatred towards him is about. He is an ex pro footballer. Due to their dedication from a young age thus neglect of a healthy school participation, they are with only a few exceptions, not the most articulate of people you will meet. I like his enthusiasm for the club and if you want a pro footballers view on a game, his is as good as you will get on a local radio stations pay grade. Give the bloke a break and if you want a more insightful view  on matters, tune in to radio 4 

1 hour ago, PrestonRam said:

Id rather keep Christie than pay a fee for a RB. I also think that's what rowett will do. 

I'm sure I've seen some exceptional runs and inch perfect passing to our strikers from Cyrus on a regular basis creating goal-scoring opportunities.

Or don't they count as part of a good RB's job description?

On 3/28/2017 at 08:16, G STAR RAM said:

He can talk as much rubbish as he wants for me purely based on that header in my first ever East Midlands derby. 

Pick that one out the net Mark Crossley!

Back on to the content of the thread, is he really going to name players he thinks we should get rid of.

I thought it was the second goal that was a header that Graham Richards was referring to. Didn't Ramage score the first with some neat footwork and a shot from fairly close range. I could well be wrong of course.....

7 minutes ago, europia said:

I thought it was the second goal that was a header that Graham Richards was referring to. Didn't Ramage score the first with some neat footwork and a shot from fairly close range. I could well be wrong of course.....

Yes I got carried away...the header and commentary was for the Saunders goal!

18 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Is it true the knobber had to moan about Ince after the game? 

Not really, he was pretty much praising the win and started to say he'd like to see more from him at one point, then checked himself by saying something along the lines of everyone played well and tonight nobody should be dug out.

The self perpetuating negativity switch got short circuited after remembering he had watched us dominate a game, in other words he realised we won and now was not the moment.

Archived