Shackell out for the season, Blackman possibly & Forsyth update

David

PistoldPete2

Surprised that Rowett thinks we have a big squad. We shipped out warnock, shotton, albentosa, Buxton, grant and Hendrick , plus a few fringe players and players out on loan, including martin last year.  Brought in anya and vydra plus Nugent. 

So we've shrunk the squad already. Maybe scope for a few more out, but I don't think the squad is too big really. Injuries are part of the game and we have to have contingencies against that. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, StringerBell said:

He's oakay. I prefer him on the right where he's treemendous.

On the right? God man are you barking? All this out of position stuff has been the root of or problems , thought you would have twigged that by now , get off this forum now and don't bother ever log ing on again you plank

3 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Surprised that Rowett thinks we have a big squad. We shipped out warnock, shotton, albentosa, Buxton, grant and Hendrick , plus a few fringe players and players out on loan, including martin last year.  Brought in anya and vydra plus Nugent. 

So we've shrunk the squad already. Maybe scope for a few more out, but I don't think the squad is too big really. Injuries are part of the game and we have to have contingencies against that. 

In the interview he said that when the injured and loan players are back, then the squad is 4 or 5 too big. 

3 hours ago, archied said:

On the right? God man are you barking? All this out of position stuff has been the root of or problems , thought you would have twigged that by now , get off this forum now and don't bother ever log ing on again you plank

That's a bit abyewsive. 

4 hours ago, archied said:

That's where Russell has played his best stuff.

He isn't going to take Ince's place though.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-for-forsyth-3639481.aspx

All of those dark days confined in the gym are starting to pay off for Craig Forsyth.

I have started joining in with little bits of the warm ups and I’m effectively being drip fed back into training."

Craig Forsyth

Light is beginning to appear at the end of the tunnel for the 28-year-old former Dundee and Watford left back and this past week has seen him step up his rehabilitation by joining in the early stages of the first team training sessions. 

It is still early days on that front for Forsyth, but getting out on the training pitch, having banter with his team mates, and having the ball at his feet is what he has had in his mind for some time since sustaining his second anterior cruciate ligament injury in his right knee nearly seven months ago.

Forsyth told RamsTV: “When you are going through those long, dark, days in the gym you are always thinking about being back outside on the grass. 

“Even though it isn’t for very long and you don’t do very much, this is what I have been aiming for. Just to join in with that little bit, and be around the group and laughing, is a big thing.”

Having a football at his feet again can possibly be considered as the easiest part of where Forsyth is at in terms of his recovery. 

Away from the grass, the hard work continues to intensify. The left back is working with well renowned athletics coach, Jonas Dodoo, and the rest of the Derby County sports science team to put his body under intense pressure, whilst he is also still maintaining his heavy workload in the club’s state-of-the-art gym facilities. 

All of this is to ensure that no stone is left unturned in his bid to reach peak fitness once again, but that’s just a mentality that he has right from the word go. 

“We’re just working a lot on the conditioning side of things now and it’s all about getting my fitness back to where it was,” Forsyth added. 

“I have started joining in with little bits and pieces of the warm ups and I’m effectively being drip fed back into training now. It’s still baby steps, but it’s progress nevertheless. 

“This is about making sure that everything is working as it should be and no part is being left behind. At this stage, a lot of the work is geared towards making myself as efficient and powerful as I can be. 

“I’m over the worst of it now, in terms of getting back outside and joining in with the little bits. That’s the enjoyable side of the rehab, but now I want to do everything to make sure that it’s completed properly.”

From the outside, it feels like Forsyth has breezed through his latest recovery as he closes in on a pre-season return to action this coming summer. 

For the man himself, however, he admits that the toughest period was the first three months in which he was unable to do anything but let his knee recover, he said: “It’s felt longer for me to be honest because for the first three months I did nothing. 

“I literally came in, I would get treatment on my knee, and that was it. I couldn’t, or rather wasn’t allowed to, do anything. 

“By the three-month mark of the last injury I was outside in the sandpit! There’s a bit of a difference there, but this time there was just that extra bit of damage that has needed time to heal and settle down. 

“Since that three months, though, it has been fine. It helps when you can see the progression and that helps when you’re in the gym and you can see and feel yourself getting stronger. That helps mentally.”

That word mentality is a big thing in football and with that, there has been one big difference in Forsyth’s life, compared to the first time, that has helped him on his road to get over his latest setback. 

In August, the defender became a father for the first time following the arrival of his daughter, Luna Rose, and he admits having her to concentrate on has provided him with a huge boost, particularly during those dark days he referred to at the beginning of this interview. 

“It definitely takes your mind off it. It distracts you almost from thinking about the injury 24/7 and what’s going on with it,” Forsyth said. 

“If I found myself that I had a bad day, you go home and you still have to carry on with it, but my home and family life has been the good side to it. 

“I didn’t go home thinking about what I was going to do to make my knee better, so I have been able to concentrate on my daughter and that’s helped me get through it.”

PistoldPete2
13 hours ago, sage said:

In the interview he said that when the injured and loan players are back, then the squad is 4 or 5 too big. 

I don't agree with this. Injuries are part of the game... It's no good saying if all our injured players were fit we'd have too many players... You're always going to have players out injured and you need a squad that's large enough to be able to deal with that.

16 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

That's where Russell has played his best stuff.

He isn't going to take Ince's place though.

G , you missed the point of the post ,, not an ounce sense in my post ,purely pun based 

serious question ,,, if Russell leaves?

9 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I don't agree with this. Injuries are part of the game... It's no good saying if all our injured players were fit we'd have too many players... You're always going to have players out injured and you need a squad that's large enough to be able to deal with that.

I think he means in terms of senior players on good wages. I think he wants around 18/19 senior players with the likes of Mitchell, Hanson, Lowe, Elsnik, Bennett and Vernam beyond that.

On 27 March 2017 at 04:28, sage said:

I think he means in terms of senior players on good wages. I think he wants around 18/19 senior players with the likes of Mitchell, Hanson, Lowe, Elsnik, Bennett and Vernam beyond that.

Unless you are in the Prem then this is how it should be. A natural order of things. It's how young players break in to teams.

the "injury crisis" gets the youngsters in rather than what happens all too often ..I.e. A run out in the cup and banished to the nether regions again when we get knocked out. If there is an entire second team of senior players you get disgruntlement from all quarters. 

Archived