Lee Gregory

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ram79 said:

I hope we are linked with slightly higher calibre strikers than Gregory don't get me wrong probably a steady player but he's 28 and only going downhill from here hardly the young hungry goal machine I'm hoping for .

Got to agree, we don't want to gamble on a 28yr old who's got 15 goals this season. If he didn't make the mark with us then selling him on would be for a loss. Need to go for a18 to 23 year old whether its from Div 1, 2 or a higher division player who isn't getting regular 1st team football. At least if it didn't work out, the sell on would not be such a big loss in money. Like us to be still in for that young Ollie Watkins at Exeter City.

I remember he scored 3 against us in that one of many ridiculous games at the back end of the 14/15 season. Still to this day I don't know how Grant and Forsyth managed to mess up 2 consecutive chances to clear the ball for his 1st. Comical stuff!

As we have Martin, Bent, Vydra and Nugent as well as poor wingers with ambitions of playing centrally (Weimann and Blackman) the only centre forwards we will bring in will be better than what we have or younger than what we have.

Lee Gregory is neither.

It is right we should be looking for gems and rough diamonds in the lower leagues, Permiership U23 sides and in places further a field, abroad. It is very competitive out there with every clubs scout's looking for the next Kante, Mahrez, Alli, or Vardy. There are young hungry players out there just waiting for a break to show what they can do, we just have find them and take an informed, calculated chance they will come good

We need to develop a strict criteria of the type of player we need. They must have the physical and mental attributes required for their position on the field and be able work within a tight group under pressure. Mental fortitude is a must to play at Derby, to cope with 'our' expectation and the up's and down's we are bound to face. 

I believe we need to concentrate on getting players who both compliment the core players within our team and are better or have significantly more potential 'to be better' than what we already have. We need people who want to aspire to make their 'name' at club. 

It appears to often in the past we have purchased players for variety of reasons. These being, a knee jerk reaction to injuries (Butterfield and Johnson), because other potential rivals might purchase them (Blackman) or just because everyone else is signing players and through fan and management pressure we need to get someone (Vydra and Anya). In some (rare) cases this may have worked out but normally we have lived to regret acting so rashly. 

As mentioned by the many wise and thoughtful contributors on these messaging boards this Summer's transfer window is the most important one for many, many years. I believe we are at a crossroads and significant change needs and will occur. The skill and intelligence we use in this particular transfer window with regard to both our in-comings and out-goings will define the club's short to medium term future. 

There is a big responsibility on Rowett, Rush, Morris and all the scouting and recruitment staff to get it right 'this' time.

For all Derby fan's sake's, I hope we do.

On 23/03/2017 at 17:54, Ram79 said:

I hope we are linked with slightly higher calibre strikers than Gregory don't get me wrong probably a steady player but he's 28 and only going downhill from here hardly the young hungry goal machine I'm hoping for .

I hear what your saying and agree 

But im sure thats what leicester fans were saying when they spent 1m on a hardly a spring chicken jaimie Vardy from the conference.

7 hours ago, dcfcgodd said:

Looked great whenever I've seen him play! If I was him I wouldn't want to join Derby as the fans hardly ever give new player a chance...

Forget the fans, our managers never give the new player a chance.   

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

And our owner never gives the manger a chance to give the players a chance to give the fans chance to form an opinion.

No idea what you're trying to say but it sounds interesting. 

Archived