Top 5 signings during and post Nigel Clough years

Bris Vegas

Who were the best five signings of Nigel Cough's reign? And why?

And who have been the best five signings post Nigel Clough's tenure? And why?

Interesting to know what everybody thinks. 

Ah, and no loan signings. They don't count. Permanent deals only.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My top five during Clough's reign:

1) Chris Martin - superb value for money, the ideal striker we needed and in general a top player

2) Jake Buxton - Surpassed all expectations and was key to our style in terms of building from the back

3) Craig Forsyth - I know he's been injured a lot over the past 18 months, but he established himself as one of the best left-backs in the Championship. Superb defender and powerful going forward.

4) Jamie Ward - I was tempted to put Bryson in this list, but all in all I felt Ward achieved more for us and added that spark during when at times it appeared we could be heading down to League One.

5) Richard Keogh - Replaced Shackell, and while defensively he has his moments, in general he's a very good defender at this level and considering his price was a really good deal for us.

Post Clough's reign:

1) Scott Carson - I didn't think he was much of an improvement on Lee Grant at first, but he soon proved he was.

2) Tom Ince - Thought we overspent for him at the time and also felt he didn't really suit our style. But this season he has been our outstanding attacking player and we'd have really struggled without him.

3) Simon Dawkins - Controversial I know, but he had a role in our side and did it without a fuss. Massively underrated, and didn't cost us much either.

4) George Thorne - I'd have him at the top if he was fit, but his injury record while with us has been poor and unless he comes back the same player, it's hard to argue that he's been great value for money. Brilliant player though.

5) Chris Baird - Steady as they come. Not really got a bad word to say about him as a player. He hasn't been amazing for us, but considering he didn't cost much, not bad either.

I'd more or less agree with you but it's hard to choose just 5. Barker, Eustace, Bryson and possibly Russell pushing for a place in Clough's 5 - maybe Grant too. 

Before this season I'd have put Butterfield in that second list over Baird. It also shows how poor our recruitment has been when Christie isn't far off making it ?

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

My top five during Clough's reign:

1) Chris Martin - superb value for money, the ideal striker we needed and in general a top player

2) Jake Buxton - Surpassed all expectations and was key to our style in terms of building from the back

3) Craig Forsyth - I know he's been injured a lot over the past 18 months, but he established himself as one of the best left-backs in the Championship. Superb defender and powerful going forward.

4) Jamie Ward - I was tempted to put Bryson in this list, but all in all I felt Ward achieved more for us and added that spark during when at times it appeared we could be heading down to League One.

5) Richard Keogh - Replaced Shackell, and while defensively he has his moments, in general he's a very good defender at this level and considering his price was a really good deal for us.

Post Clough's reign:

1) Scott Carson - I didn't think he was much of an improvement on Lee Grant at first, but he soon proved he was.

2) Tom Ince - Thought we overspent for him at the time and also felt he didn't really suit our style. But this season he has been our outstanding attacking player and we'd have really struggled without him.

3) Simon Dawkins - Controversial I know, but he had a role in our side and did it without a fuss. Massively underrated, and didn't cost us much either.

4) George Thorne - I'd have him at the top if he was fit, but his injury record while with us has been poor and unless he comes back the same player, it's hard to argue that he's been great value for money. Brilliant player though.

5) Chris Baird - Steady as they come. Not really got a bad word to say about him as a player. He hasn't been amazing for us, but considering he didn't cost much, not bad either.

Carson and Ince but Dawkins was too inconsistent Thorne hasn't played enough to be a good signing and Baird has come good this season.

Signings post Clough

I really struggle to find any apart from Carson and Ince.

I agree with the Clough signings.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'd more or less agree with you but it's hard to choose just 5. Barker, Eustace, Bryson and possibly Russell pushing for a place in Clough's 5 - maybe Grant too. 

Before this season I'd have put Butterfield in that second list over Baird. It also shows how poor our recruitment has been when Christie isn't far off making it ?

Crazy isn't it? Aside from those top five under Clough, we look at others such as Eustace, Bryson, Russell, Grant and even the likes of Brayford as decent signings too. Plenty of options.

Then when it comes to post Clough, I struggled for the opposite reason. I was tempted to put Cyrus Christie in, just because for the amount we paid for him in fees/wages he hasn't been a particularly bad acquisition at all.

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I agree with that on the whole bris,esp the clough signings.....shame we can't employ him as a our head of recruitment!

I'd probably drop Dawkins out though and replace with Bryson which I realise makes it a 6 to 4 but he's worth it....

Dawkins was post Clough and Bryson during Clough's reign. That's why I separated the groups. Ideally, I'd have all 10 as Clough signings if we're going to list our best 10 signings since 2008.

I wish he was still here as head of recruitment too.

Bryson. Goals, energy, heartbeat of that 433. PoTY twice.

Ward. Aggressive, effective, all energy. We've still not replaced him.

Martin. A free transfer who turned into one of the best strikers outside the Prem. Skill, goals, an eye for a free kick...

Keogh. 100 consecutive games brings the ball out like a Championship Mark Wright.

Brayford. Best full back we've had since Chris Powell. Still not replaced him.

Unlucky: Russell, Forsyth, Eustace, Bucko....

Ince. Goals, skill. Shame he's never really had a season long consistent team to flourish in.

Thorne. Owns games like very few players at this level. Please get fit George.

Christie. Athletic, gets forward, still young enough to improve.

Bent. Goals.

Dawks is a good shout, I loved his ability to hold the ball, but never owned a shirt.

Only Ince and Thorne deserve to be on the list. The rest by default. Appalling recruitment. 

Without wanting to stir it...where would we be if the much maligned Nigel Clough had been given a quarter of what we blew  since he left? Premier League. That's where.

11 minutes ago, needles said:

Martin. A free transfer who turned into one of the best strikers outside the Prem. Skill, goals, an eye for a free kick...

Keogh. 100 consecutive games brings the ball out like a Championship Mark Wright.

Ince. Goals, skill. Shame he's never really had a season long consistent team to flourish in.

Bent. Goals.

Dawks is a good shout, I loved his ability to hold the ball, but never owned a shirt.

Only Ince and Thorne deserve to be on the list. The rest by default. Appalling recruitment. 

Without wanting to stir it...where would we be if the much maligned Nigel Clough had been given a quarter of what we blew  since he left? Premier League. That's where.

I don't think he would tho....

He was superb at recruiting and a very steady boss but too unadventurous and safe to take us up i.m.o.

I think Mac and Simmo showed what you could do with a clough team of you allowed a bit of mischief and magic into the mix...well,in the first Mac reign anyway.

As I said tho,if Carlsberg made cloughs who were in charge of recruitment......

Nigel Clough top five:

Bucko - the man the myth the legend. Statement about the type of character he wanted about the place.

Barker - Quality championship defender. Gave it everything.

Craig Bryson - POTS in his first season here if I remember right. For half a million quid he's given bloody good service and loves playing for us.

Martin - Ninos' fave, chews gum and scores goals and assists and links play. Let's hope he's all out ta gum when he's back from Fulham. He was free!

Craig Forsythe - Beast of a left back, would be getting regular Scotland call ups if he wasn't injured (Strachen has spoke highly of him more than once)

Post Nigle Era (PCE)

Tom Ince - despite the voodoo steve McClaren has on his form, he really is a quality player in this division and in the right team I believe will be in the prem. £4m a bargain by our standards.

George Thorne - majestic. When his leg is ready, I'd hump it like a rabid spaniel.

Scot Carson - solid as a rock

Chris Baird - for the SRG love. Actually given good service this season.

Bradley Fighting Vehicle - yes we paid to much, yes he's not got a good touch but he can fight and tackle and has presence like few of our other players. Scored off a corner once upon a time.

8 minutes ago, needles said:

Bent. Goals.

Butterfield was signed to step in for the injured Hughes and last season was the top scoring centre mid in the division. He's been average at best this year playing much deeper but in terms of this thread I think he gets in that post-Clough five.

4 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Surprised you put Bucko over Keogh. Love the man, but Keogh has been consistently great for the side. 

Never quite got to love Keogh the way I did the other two centre halfs.

He dove in a bit to much for my liking, even in the Forest game, no need to dive in the way he did, penalty, red card, fired.

I see why he's popular and he's probably 7th on the list behind Forsyth ;-)

Archived