Squad Cull

Gritty

Owen Bradley made a point recently in the phone in to the tune of:

This isnt a football manager computer game.

You cant say you will get rid, put up for sale and watch the bids come in. Modern day football particularly with the bosman ruling just doesnt work like that.

We will get rid of people on loan with possible view to a transfer, and if they have one year left they will go on a free.

Or we just dont renew contracts when they expire.

Bent will go IMO, we have too many in that position, and age isnt on his side, his wages are massive I also believe.

Other than that, who will go, Baird maybe... but hes been one of our best players this year and could well get a years extension.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

Who have we got...

carson Mitchell Roos.

christie Hanson Baird Olson Forsyth Lowe

keogh shackell Pearce 

thorne johnson hughes butterfield Bryson 

anya russell ince camara

weimann martin nugent blackman bent vydra 

plus on the fringes vernam Bennett, zanzala, elsnick, rawson  and guy. These younger players will struggle to get through with 27 players ahead of them.

maybe lose Olson , Blackman and camara. All January signings by clement. None of them have done much for us. Other than that if anyone else goes out, we need to bring in someone better to replace them. 

On 22/03/2017 at 22:10, BramcoteRam84 said:

For me the following should go:

Shackell, Olsson (maybe wait til Jan so we know Fozzy's fitness), Butterfield, Blackman, Bent, Camara, Weimann, Russell. I would also sell Ince, not because he's had a bad season (far from it) but we need to sell at least one of our assets for the rebuild and to cover our losses on some of the above.

Ins 

A new CB - Hanley from geordies possibly

A new DM to compete with George and Bradley (I'm thinking 4-2-3-1 here)

Tom Lawrence, Ollie Watkins, Bakary Sako

And obviously Chris Martin to return.

That for me would give us a hungry competitive balanced squad that could compete for promotion. It would also reduce the wage bill and not break the bank on the transfer front.

The only problem I see with your idea is as soon as we sell one of our major assets for big money to fund a rebuild, all of a sudden anyone who we are interested in will have their price doubled over night.

Any decent player is not going to come here on £5k a week when everybody else is supposedly on much more.

From that perspective we have put ourselves in an awful position.

Also if you think adding Hanley and Sako is going to help us lower the wage bill, I think you're living in a dream world!

7 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Yes because let's face it, outstanding footballers are cheap and in plentiful supply and we can easily find another Hughes and Ince can't we. :mellow:

Now let's wise up...you don't sell Hughes and Ince; you build a team around them. And actually we've already got a squad capable of gaining promotion. So let's not be daft. It's not about a "cull" it's about a "prune":

1. Christie - sell. I can't ever remember his crosses doing anything other than finding thin air and he gets exposed and allows too many opposition crosses; get that lad from Scotland who Mac went to watch just before Xmas.

2. Olsson - sell. He will be third choice behind Forsyth and Lowe.

3. Butterfield - sell. Not quite good enough really and has actually declined as a player in the last 2 years.

4. Weimann - sell. Works hard and is quick but doesn't have a football brain.

5. Blackman - it just doesn't work with Blackman. I don't think he is a Championship player. A rabbitt in the headlights that is permanently injured.

6. Camara - not a Championship player either.

With Thorne, Forsyth, Martin back and a fit Bryson {those who say he isn't good enough/past it need their bumps feeling} and a fit Shackell we have a very good side. Try Vydra/Martin together and alternate with Nugent. Purchase another decent box-to-box midfielder and we're there. Those who also say we should sell Russell, Shackell need to sober up.Those who say this team/squad are "bottlers" and other such things don't understand football. I would also like to see Farend Rawson play; the guy is a beast and deserves a chance. There will be a pruning certainly as Gary Rowett says in the interview on Ramsplayer "we need small, versatile numbers..." [ie a smaller squad] "...& players not too far away from playing." [ie those with a real chance of first team football ]. So maybe curtains for the likes of Jamie Hanson and Mason Bennett who are sadly, "nearly men".  

Again, I'm having to point out that I did say only if it's a silly money offer for either of them.  Yes we should base out team round both of them, but if a top 6 side came in for Hughes with a 20 million bid, you have to take it seriously.  Similarly if a Southampton or a West Ham come in for Ince with a 15 million bid.  It's peanuts for them, but for us it's two direct replacements or the wages for 3 or 4 first teamers.  Until we win Premier League title, everyone can be bought...

Agree with your outgoings though...

I'd like to see Vernam, Bennett, Guy, Elsnik, Rawson, Hanson given a good opportunity! 

Sign 1/2 lower league rough diamonds like Ollie Watkins.

Sign a first team right back, centre half & holding midfielder.

Give Baird a new 1 year deal.

Release Bent & sell Weimann to Wolves.

Attempt to give away Shackell, Christie, Olson, Johnson, Butterfield, Bryson(depending on the last 7/8 games), Russell, Blackman, Camera.. 

Possibly add Keogh or Pearce depending on what we can bring in.

I'd keep Carson, Mitchell & Roos

Forsyth Lowe Pearce/Keogh & Baird Rawson

Thorne Hughes Ince Anya Hanson Elsnik Guy Bennett

Nugent Martin Vydra Vernam

I think we may see Hansen getting some attention from rowett ,, I was at Norwich and thought oh bugger when he was announced in the team and thought this is going to be a car crash ( young kid in as last ditch injuries cover) but the lad showed he had a bit of something about him , we may well find rowett sees him as young hungry potential that he can mould and find a role for , maybe not as a regular starter but in and around the first team with far more frequent appearances , as for the rest of the supposed first team starters and squad I think we are in for a very enlightening summer in terms of who really is and is nt putting everything into Derby and perhaps the good egg bad egg rumours we have been debating for a while , whether rowett is a success with us long term or not I certainly trust him to weed out who has and has nt got what it takes attitude wise to take this club to the prem regardless of who manages us

Rowett signed Shotton from us (thanks) to have more pace at cb so they could push higher up the pitch. Rowett pushed us up the pitch second hald v Forest.

Therefore he may look for a left footed cb with pace to play alongside Keogh. 

I would take Jiří Skalák from Brighton. Especially if they go up

Hard worker, not afraid to put in a tackle and get things going. Currently out of form and will not be in the 1st team plans of a brighton fc sitting in the PL. Plays wide left....

Bargain and could compete with russell for the wide left position. Can put in a good cross and is excellent at set piece deliveries.

Camara to go and these two to compete for that spot.

Wouldn't Sako cost too much?? Maybe Sako/Skalák or maybe I'm just dreaming.

Edit: Skalak is only 25 too.

Archived