Defoe

DEL

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play for the tournament regardless of age pick the best in form players

Every tournament we go into we say we had a young squad, its a good learning curve and we'll be stronger in four years time

Four years comes round and we end up being worse than the previous tournament  

A phrase we've heard before about young players is 'if you're good enough, you're old enough' - why can't it work the other way around?

TBH I care so little about England these days I dunno who we're playing and whether its a qualifier or a friendly.  If its a qualifier and we need to win why not play the best 11 regardless of age.

45 minutes ago, maxjam said:

A phrase we've heard before about young players is 'if you're good enough, you're old enough' - why can't it work the other way around?

TBH I care so little about England these days I dunno who we're playing and whether its a qualifier or a friendly.  If its a qualifier and we need to win why not play the best 11 regardless of age.

well said, this investing in youth bullocks never actually works out does it, Rashford is the dogs testicles now, next year he might be fit for Wigan reserves, Lingard was nothing special when he was here but is now being touted for a mega transfer to Arsenal and is an England regular, why we don't just pick the players that can last the current 90 mins and not the next is beyond me.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

To score the amount of goals he has in that absolute rotter of a Sunderland team is a minor miracle. They would be chasing down our 11 point record without him.

So true. If he was actually getting into a good side he would probably have scored more goals. Age is just a number. This season between him and Ibrahimovic - 29 league goals between them- combined age of 69 I think.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2017 at 11:05, maxjam said:

If you're old enough you're good enough. I'm 61, I'll be brilliant ?

If the World Cup was this summer I would take him, another season away though, older legs, more prone to injuries. Use the qualifiers to try younger players, give them experience. 

If Defoe is still fine and in form next season take him, we're not learning anything new from him, we know what he offers

Managing england is complicated as well as plan for the future the manager also has to get immediate results today or he will be hounded out by the press. I can see why he picked Defoe, he's not going to be winning the golden boot in Russia, but he can score the goals to get us there. 

If you can't experiment in a Podolski testimonial or against Lithuania, when can you? 

Can't tell me Lithuania is better than a Championship team, give Abraham a go, Gayle if you must, or even Hogan. Not suggesting they should be starters in the World Cup but they are banging them in.

Why limit ourselves to just the Premier League, not like it's a closed teams go up. 

46 minutes ago, David said:

If you can't experiment in a Podolski testimonial or against Lithuania, when can you? 

Can't tell me Lithuania is better than a Championship team, give Abraham a go, Gayle if you must, or even Hogan. Not suggesting they should be starters in the World Cup but they are banging them in.

Why limit ourselves to just the Premier League, not like it's a closed teams go up. 

Thought for a while now that, with how few Englishmen are in the Premier League, that there are better options in The Championship in some cases. 

Injuries aside, I rate Thorne higher than Dier, for example. 

Archived