What is acceptable in 2017/18

sage

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope for a team we can be proud of again, players who come of the pitch having put a shift in.

I don't expect many new players arriving, my personal conspiracy theory is Maclaren was sacked because he wanted to spend big money rebuilding the squad in the summer, whereas Morris is trying another man in Rowett to see if he can hopefully get the current lot playing. I could be wrong

Either way, I look forward to seeing what Rowett can do.

34 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

Promotion. 

Hull 

Burnlerh

Stoke 

Sweansee 

Bournmouth 

west brom 

watford 

The list goes on ........ 

It's embarrassing . 

What's embarrassing about those clubs?

There's FA cup finals, European football, league titles and £20m players in that lot. Until last year or whatever our record transfer fee was what? £3m/ £4m

Believe it or not only the fans of clubs with high attendances care about attendances. No players, referees or anyone else cares. 

I mean AC Milan were getting 30k at some games. Villarreal get what? 18k? 

Besiktas used to have 30k and compare their 30k to ours. That's closer to embarrassing. That they can support their team like that and we have never had that.

We were getting what? 15k in 1996? 

Keep seeing you say stuff about these smaller clubs or lesser clubs and I have no idea what you base it on.

Derby are a big deal to us. In the football world they're a 2nd tier team. Nobody remembers Jim Smith or Eranio. Nobody knows we finished 8th. And it's the football world where we compete. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2017 at 19:56, Alpha said:

There's FA cup finals, European football, league titles and £20m players in that lot. Until last year or whatever our record transfer fee was what? £3m/ £4m

Believe it or not only the fans of clubs with high attendances care about attendances. No players, referees or anyone else cares. 

Besiktas used to have 30k and compare their 30k to ours. That's closer to embarrassing. That they can support their team like that and we have never had that.

Keep seeing you say stuff about these smaller clubs or lesser clubs and I have no idea what you base it on.

Derby are a big deal to us. In the football world they're a 2nd tier team. Nobody remembers Jim Smith or Eranio. Nobody knows we finished 8th. And it's the football world where we compete. 

Derby County belong in the first tier of English Football. 

:thumbsup:

On 14 March 2017 at 19:56, Alpha said:

That's true. The sad thing is can any of us say we are likely in our lifetimes to see Derby do anything of note? Great if you were alive in the 40s/70s but its now over 40 years since last major cup win....

We are only big in terms of being well supported, but lots of other teams winning things and we do absolutely nothing- Wigan FA cup in recent memory, Swansea league cup suddenly Leicester are a successful team...

Don't want to be pessimistic but I honestly don't think Derby will win another major trophy while I'm alive. :(

It's a tough question as any prolonged bad run has shown that us fans, including Morris, get twitchy and call for the manager to be sacked. I think it took McClaren a week of bad results for the fans to turn, which is exactly what will happen with Rowett should it not go all swimmingly. 

I have no doubt that Rowett has a completely different remit and we will be looking to lower the wage bill, get rid of some of the high earners and bring in players on the cheap. I would suggest similarly to what Clough's task was under the Americans, however, with a much larger budget. 

It's going to be a tough, busy summer for Rowett and co. I actually think a lot will be made of his signings. We will be losing first-team players in the summer, that I have no doubt. I don't know who, but I'd be surprised not to see possibly 8-10 of our regular matchday squad sold and replaced. We've just got to make sure those we bring in have the quality. 

I know it's all fun and games moaning about being awful and a laughing stock, but we're a top half side as it stands. If we lose the likes of Keogh & Ince and replace them with players with the quality like Albentosa & Camara, we're going to feel the significant effect and see how life could be worse. The grass could definitely be greener, don't get me wrong, but it could also get much, much, much bleaker. 

I think we will probably have to revisit this just before the season starts.

See what squad we have. A massive cull of older expensive players being replaced by a few youngsters may soften people's expectations a little.

Baffles me some peoples expectations

of coarse we should aim high but hope to god if/ when we're not ripping sides apart and smack bang in the mix of the play offs the boo boys wont start chastising the team.

its universlly acknowledged this side needs some pretty major surgery and that even the club as a whole needs a bit of a reeboot

well unless we're very fortunate and are one of those sides where it all just seemlessly falls into place be prepared to have a bit of a mixed bag of a season people.

these things take time, it aint champ manager u know 

Archived