What is acceptable in 2017/18

sage

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy supporters. 

For all the crap that gets said about the fans, fundimentally they will accept mistakes if the club is moving forward and the players (at least appear to) care as much about the club as they do. 

That's why a lot of players Clough had here are thought of fondly. Despite lack of ability, you could never call Sammon, Teale, Eustace, Pearson etc "overpaid big time charlies". 

That would make me love football again. Wear the shirt with as much pride as I do. Not a lot to ask really. 

Let's see what investment is made in the team over the summer before we start thinking about what Rowett should achieve next season. We have no right to expect more investment really, seeing as so much money has already been spend, although it would be a big help!  But if we are to be competitive, you would think that there would certainly have to be a few ins and outs during the next transfer window.

36 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

Play offs is a minimum requirement. A club our size should be on a par with Norwich, Bournemouth, Hull, Sunderland etc. Promoted, struggle to stay up maybe for a while, possibly relegated but straighr back up and building towards consolidating in the Prem, a computer game and a remote control car.

And if we don't make the playoffs? Another go on the merry-go-round?

'A club our size' smacks of entitlement, entitlement, entitlement. We deserve it because of how big we are. You end up exactly where you deserve to end up, and that's the only entitlement there is.

Sorry to come across all harsh like, but that's what has got us exactly where we are now. You, me, Mel, everyone else has abandoned the good sense of the GSE/Nigel Clough years and basically 'gone for it' - only ''for it' can be directly replaced with 'backwards'.

We have wasted 4 years - and if the next gamble doesn't pay off, we'll probably waste another 4 years trying to find a few chips down the back of the settee to have another crack after going 'all in' on another off-suited 2-7.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

'A club our size' smacks of entitlement, entitlement, entitlement. We deserve it because of how big we are. You end up exactly where you deserve to end up, and that's the only entitlement there is.

Sorry to come across all harsh like, but that's what has got us exactly where we are now. You, me, Mel, everyone else has abandoned the good sense of the GSE/Nigel Clough years and basically 'gone for it' - only ''for it' can be directly replaced with 'backwards'.

We have wasted 4 years - and if the next gamble doesn't pay off, we'll probably waste another 4 years trying to find a few chips down the back of the settee to have another crack after going 'all in' on another off-suited 2-7.

Can't agree with that, only the people in charge can abandon the good sense you speak of, if Mel had carried on in the same vein as GSE would there have been uproar?

We didn't suddenly spend money hand over fist, in fact allowing for inflation we're paying less than when he took over.

What I see as acceptable is when I get butterflies in my stomach on a Saturday morning. Pacing up and down the house looking at the clock to see if it's time to set off to the match.

Away games like the West Brom FA cup game this season.

Sell out games where people want to watch the match rather than having to go because they have a ticket.

A buzz around the ground around Derby looking forward to seeing the highlights on channel 5.

Good football.

Hopefully that will equate to us being near the top of the league too. 

54 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

I would say that what is acceptable is that supporters lower their expectations, go and enjoy football again when the games come around, don't get too uptight if we are losing at half time and sleep easy knowing that our manager is Derby through and through. If he doesn't get it right, it wasn't for the lack of trying.

Rowett has waited for this opportunity and there will be nobody that wants this club to do well more than him. Probably like McClaren first time around but we know his head got turned and became very disloyal.

This might sound crazy but one game at a time and see where we end up at come May.

Spot on! :thumbsup:

dunlavy-mcclaren.png

A club that I can actually be proud of again. The position isn't entirely relevant to that.

When people find out I'm a Derby fan they enjoy talking to me about Derby, because they don't know anybody else who supports them down here. I'm fed up of replying "don't ask" when the "what's happening with Derby?" question is asked. I want to be able to reply with a shed load of positive things about our club I can boast about.

2013/14 was my favourite season in circa 17 years as a Derby County supporter. Anything along those lines would be amazing, even if we don't finish third, or even in the top six this time around. A team that gives their all, with a manager adored by nearly everybody and an owner that you forget even exists (because that's how it should be). Is that really too much to ask?

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

Only four?! I'd say eight!

The Clough years became a complete waste of time the minute we started making the same mistakes we did in 2007 and 2008.

And spending money isn't the mistake. Investing in 28+ year old players that blatantly weren't improvements on what we already had is the problem. 

21 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I think an acceptable season will be to see fewer black plastic seats visible on the highlights programmes,  as that should mean that the supporters are motivated enough to turn up.

Personally after seeing a lot of Gaz at Burton, I think he will deliver the play offs but over time there will be an awful lot of black plastic visible. 

43 minutes ago, eddie said:

In the past 3 seasons ( 2 with GSE in charge) we made the play-offs twice and missed out on the final day in the third. We've been to Wembley. Hardly 4 wasted years when you compare to the Clough era.

I'm sure Mel will have guaranteed Gary a decent budget and will allow him to 'wheel and deal' (although how this will happen we are yet to know).

With that in mind I think GR will certainly set himself a Top 6 target and with our resources I think that is feasible.

The target now will be reasonable. But give the Derby Drama Queens a whiff of the PL and they'll be talking about extending the stadium and smashing small clubs (that have more major trophies than us) like promotion is sealed by attendances 

As long as we play some good stuff again, and can be proud of how we are going about things, then if we miss out on the playoffs and finish around the top half, fine and acceptable to me.

Rowett certainly has a project on his hands, and hopefully gets time to see it through.

Archived