What is acceptable in 2017/18

sage

Top 6 should be the target next season as the squad need something to aim for, but if that materialises to be top half, having got rid of the overpaid has beens, development of the likes of Lowe, Bennett Guy and McAllister, and evidence of building blocks for sustained success for the following season then that's good for me.

we want to be in the premier league ASAP and then we want to stay there. However from where we are today with the overpaid average players we currently have at our disposal, this is not going to be a quick fix.

It requires patience not only from Mel, but the fans also. Some people on here have said Pride park has become toxic recently and I agree. Next season will be even tougher and there is no divine right to promotion, especially for Derby who have just managed 1 season in the top flight in 15 years and we all know what happened that season.

If Rowett is given to the end of his contract (2019), then I'm convinced we'll have either been promoted to premier league, or in a strong position to be promoted the following year.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is obviously going to be some major surgery needed in the summer. Therefore is it unreasonable to set too high a target for next season.

Should there be additional targets beyond a finishing position? Playing atttractive football? Consistency? Reducing the wage bill? Lowering the average age?

For me the minimum requirement is a top ten finish, a pattern of attacking play developing and lowering the squad age and wage bill. 

Not being relegated, at least one win over the gumps, a feeling that things are moving forward, a few good away trips and Derby being spoken of in the media in a positive light.

Like when Nigel Clough was manager.

Play offs is a minimum requirement. A club our size should be on a par with Norwich, Bournemouth, Hull, Sunderland etc. Promoted, struggle to stay up maybe for a while, possibly relegated but straighr back up and building towards consolidating in the Prem, a computer game and a remote control car.

I would say that what is acceptable is that supporters lower their expectations, go and enjoy football again when the games come around, don't get too uptight if we are losing at half time and sleep easy knowing that our manager is Derby through and through. If he doesn't get it right, it wasn't for the lack of trying.

Rowett has waited for this opportunity and there will be nobody that wants this club to do well more than him. Probably like McClaren first time around but we know his head got turned and became very disloyal.

This might sound crazy but one game at a time and see where we end up at come May.

47 minutes ago, sage said:

There is obviously going to be some major surgery needed in the summer. Therefore is it unreasonable to set too high a target for next season.

Should there be additional targets beyond a finishing position? Playing atttractive football? Consistency? Reducing the wage bill? Lowering the average age?

For me the minimum requirement is a top ten finish, a pattern of attacking play developing and lowering the squad age and wage bill. 

I think with the core players we have, and the return of Martin, Fozzy and hopefully Thorne, a top ten finish will sort itself out. I can't envisage us doing much worse than that unless Rowett goes all Pearson and purposely has us playing a system and style which majorly hinders our key players.

Attractive football is another one I'd sort of expect. With those players, they shouldn't in any way be playing any longball hopeless stuff. Martin's at his best with the ball at his feet, and a midfield two of Thorne and Hughes should look to dominate the ball against most oppositions in this league, home or away.

What I'd like to see is the gradual clearout of all the overpaid, average, unmotivated players who evidently don't aid our core players. I know it will be difficult, but it has to happen and Mel must accept a loss on them.

With the way football is going, it will be hard to reduce the wage bill drastically even if we move out the likes of Blackman, Camara and Shackell. Wages appear to have skyrocketed in recent seasons, so unless we purposely buy youth from the lower leagues or go abroad (which I'd favour), then I can't see much change on that one.

Squad development is key. Promotion shouldn't be the number one aim next season. If we accept that and look beyond that, we'd be better for it. 

Archived