What does Rowett's Appointment mean for "The Derby Way"?

JoetheRam

20 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

As anybody actually properly defined exactly what the 'Derby Way' is ?

The Derby Way, or however people want to refer to it; our philosophy and plan is critical to building the club and having all parts contributing, coaching, recruitment, academy, match analysis etc. This must be a club philosophy and not something that can radically change, even with, and especially with periodical change of manager and/or coaching staff. It may evolve, it should never revolve. For example a change from 4-3-3 (including fat midfield derivatives) to a 4-4-2. Such a radical change, should it ever be envisaged, would require a proper transition plan, probably spanning 3-4 Windows, leveraging abilities in the short term (getting preserving points), preserving player values to ensure that player trading does not result in lost value.

The Derby Way.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The derby way seems to be - new manager comes in and says it's a clean slate for all the players , players think great another clean slate more time before he realizes I'm lazy, overrated , overpaid and **** most of the time , after a few months performances decline fans start to boo, manager starts to realize some dead wood needs removing and changes the team every game , players don't like the fact that they've been found out as mediocre championship players and go crying to Mel saying it's all the managers fault and he keeps shouting at us , Mel believes them and sacks the manager before he has chance to remove them from the club .  AND REPEAT ABOVE EVERY 5 MONTHS  ( really hope it works out right with GR coyr)

13 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Not at all I think he was the best realistically available.

Given time I think he has all the attributes of a good manager and comes with a decent record of improving teams. I think he's a good bloke who speaks fairly and honestly.

I'm just questioning how smart a decision it is to appoint a manager who plays an ugly style of football (I don't really care if we're winning) when our chairman has previously sacked a manager who was 5th for playing "negative" football and who has a doctrine of "Derby play a certain way and anyone coming in must attempt this".

I agree Rowett has a record of improving teams results but not necessarily their style. Gary grinds out results in his career so far and is the master of getting ahead and then protecting that lead for a 1-0. 

It ain't pretty but it's pragmatic and it delivers points and you often see his teams punching above their weight. 

If he gets Derby doing that it should deliver promotion and consolidation in the PL, very like Southampton and Swansea. But it won't be pretty to watch! 

There's no such thing.

If it was about playing style we would not have jumped from Pearson to Mac to Rowett.

If it was about continuity through the club we wouldn't keep on changing managers, back room staff and recruitment every 6 months.

If it was about progressing youngsters we would not have spunked £40m on bang average players and shipped out one of our own talented youngsters.

Mel may have had a 'Derby Way' vision at some point in time but every decision he has made since saying it has pretty much contradicted it.

15 hours ago, reveldevil said:

The Derby Way, or however people want to refer to it; our philosophy and plan is critical to building the club and having all parts contributing, coaching, recruitment, academy, match analysis etc. This must be a club philosophy and not something that can radically change, even with, and especially with periodical change of manager and/or coaching staff. It may evolve, it should never revolve. For example a change from 4-3-3 (including fat midfield derivatives) to a 4-4-2. Such a radical change, should it ever be envisaged, would require a proper transition plan, probably spanning 3-4 Windows, leveraging abilities in the short term (getting preserving points), preserving player values to ensure that player trading does not result in lost value.

The Derby Way.

Errrm, how about just winning more footy matches than we lose :unsure:

6 hours ago, Mikeyboy1963 said:

I agree Rowett has a record of improving teams results but not necessarily their style. Gary grinds out results in his career so far and is the master of getting ahead and then protecting that lead for a 1-0. 

It ain't pretty but it's pragmatic and it delivers points and you often see his teams punching above their weight. 

If he gets Derby doing that it should deliver promotion and consolidation in the PL, very like Southampton and Swansea. But it won't be pretty to watch! 

Southampton and Swansea punch above their weight because they play good football

The Derby Way was just PR fluff to emphasis the impression that the club had a plan and a purpose, it was completely meaningless in reality. 

We now move onto Rowett, good luck to the chap he's done well in his previous roles, but this is a different kettle of fish that said I'm sure he will give it his all and I will back him just like with our previous managers whether I wanted them here or not!

To be honest the Derby way was really the Mac 1 way, this then became the boring way, followed by the do it my way or else, and then we had the haven't got a clue why I'm back here as I haven't got a clue way ?

Lets see what's next and hopefully it will be enjoyable football

On 3/14/2017 at 09:18, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Nice thorough analysis Bris...........So do you think Mel and GR have had a conversation about the style of play? I would be amazed if they haven't. If they have I wonder who had the final say? 

PS I guess we will find out over the next month.

I would imagine they have. With the players at our disposal, 433 generally would be the best system and players such as Keogh, Thorne, Hughes and Martin (the spine) all like to get on the ball and pass it, therefore a style involving the ball remaining on the deck evidently benefits them more than another style.

Having said that, ball on the deck football can be played in numerous ways.

Clement had us keeping possession at all costs, largely also used as a defensive tactic, and for a brief while we racked up routine 2-0 wins from it. This, though, doesn't exactly get the pulse rating and Martin was clearly hindered from our lack of directness and balls into his feet. Clement was also a big fan of shape.

Mac, and Wassall, played the same system but with a much higher press and more directness. It was more entertaining, but without a proper DM, it does make you more vulnerable at the back.

It will be interesting to see what Rowett does. It doesnt really matter whether it's 433 or 4231 in that both are similar in terms of player positioning, what Im keen to see is how we play off the ball.

At Brum, Rowett had his side compact and in shape, similar to Clement, but was more direct on turnovers hence the quick counterattacks. But they did play some longball stuff, and we know that doesn't suit our core players from Pearson's reign here.

Will Rowett adopt a pressing style, but direct in possession, ie. Get the ball into Martin's feet quickly and play off him? Or will he have us sit back? I dont think getting in shape aids our attacking players. I think theyd prefer to press.

But there needs to be a balance, and only in Mac1 did we find it and even then in his 2nd season we started to drift more towards a possession at all costs, more controlling style and people complained.

That 3-0 win at home to Brighton was as controlled as it came. And people moaned we didnt throw caution to the wind and tried to hit then for six or seven.

45 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I would imagine they have. With the players at our disposal, 433 generally would be the best system and players such as Keogh, Thorne, Hughes and Martin (the spine) all like to get on the ball and pass it, therefore a style involving the ball remaining on the deck evidently benefits them more than another style.

Having said that, ball on the deck football can be played in numerous ways.

Clement had us keeping possession at all costs, largely also used as a defensive tactic, and for a brief while we racked up routine 2-0 wins from it. This, though, doesn't exactly get the pulse rating and Martin was clearly hindered from our lack of directness and balls into his feet. Clement was also a big fan of shape.

Mac, and Wassall, played the same system but with a much higher press and more directness. It was more entertaining, but without a proper DM, it does make you more vulnerable at the back.

It will be interesting to see what Rowett does. It doesnt really matter whether it's 433 or 4231 in that both are similar in terms of player positioning, what Im keen to see is how we play off the ball.

At Brum, Rowett had his side compact and in shape, similar to Clement, but was more direct on turnovers hence the quick counterattacks. But they did play some longball stuff, and we know that doesn't suit our core players from Pearson's reign here.

Will Rowett adopt a pressing style, but direct in possession, ie. Get the ball into Martin's feet quickly and play off him? Or will he have us sit back? I dont think getting in shape aids our attacking players. I think theyd prefer to press.

But there needs to be a balance, and only in Mac1 did we find it and even then in his 2nd season we started to drift more towards a possession at all costs, more controlling style and people complained.

That 3-0 win at home to Brighton was as controlled as it came. And people moaned we didnt throw caution to the wind and tried to hit then for six or seven.

I loved that Brighton game, I found it fascinating how we completely controlled the game to suit our match position, then got back to the car to hear a crescendo of negativity on Radio Derby, and couldn't believe my ears.

There's far too much emphasis on systems, fitting players to a method, 442/433/4231, its just nonsense. Its all far too complicated . Football is a simple game - you win the ball, you pass, you move, you shoot, you score.

Whats wrong with just buying/playing  good players with strong characters who want to win ? And investing enough time and effort on their recruitment to ensure that that is the case ? 

Surely the Derby Way is just about playing to win ? Nigel Clough wasn't up for that (particularly away from home, or even when 2 nil up at half time at home for that matter  ), Mac 2 didn't know what he wanted, Pearson frankly was'nt capable - thats why they rightly departed. Just play to win, all the time. 

Only disagreement I would have with Mel's vision is about the academy. Complete waste of money. Molly-coddled, over paid children brought up in a cocoon of entitlement. Much better to search elsewhere for proven winning attributes gained at the real coalface of life.

Why complicate it ? Please, just keep in simple. 

Archived