What does Rowett's Appointment mean for "The Derby Way"?

JoetheRam

What does Rowett's appointment mean for the "Derby Way" that Mel Morris fantasises about? Is it dead?

Rowett is a pragmatic manager who's sides could never be called "free flowing" or "attractive".

Hypothetically, even if we get a play-off spot next year would that be enough to stop Morris pressing the button? Does Rowett's appointment suggest that Morris has abandoned or altered his vision of a Derby Way? Or did he already do that by appointing 3 managers previously who play entirely different styles and throwing millions around? Does he expect Rowett to change his philosophy and play the way Morris wants?

Lots of questions, answers please.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Derby way....3 managers in a  season!

I do hope GR gets the time required to turn us around, I think GR has got the best out of the teams he previously had to manage [no disrespects to Burton and Brum], where we are slightly better in quality within the squad.

I would expect Mel's told him I want 'this' next season, will it be play offs or automatic I have no idea - I do look forward to the new season, I do also expect there will be players going in the summer maybe different to those that Mac identified?

Lets give GR time to change things around.

I really hope GR is given plenty of support and time to sort things out. There could well be a really bad patch, and maybe some players might go and complain to MM behind his back, and I hope the owner shoots them down in flames.

It would be great if GR could develop as a manager with us, take us up, and stay with us a good long stint. Arthur Cox stylee - wouldn't it be great if his next job after us was England?

Maybe being too idealistic.:)

In the end, if a team is playing winning football it also tends to be easy on the eye. Arthur Cox's team ended up as a delight, even if it was tough getting out of the third division. Jim Smith's played increasingly beautiful football (for a while) as they got better and better. George Burley produced some phenomenal displays on his run to the playoffs. Billy Davies less so, but for a while we were still witness to the incredible talent of young Giles Barnes (probably the best academy product of my time watching Derby) so that counted for a lot.

Rowett brought Demarai Gray on for his final 18 months at Birmingham, which shows he knows a thing or two about helping younger players develop. If he gets our players organized, knowing and comfortable in their roles and up for the fight, we know they can play some beautiful stuff. While I'd rather get promoted than worry about the footballing style, I think the two tend to go hand in hand.

There's no such thing as the Derby way and I say that as someone who previously lapped up Mel's spiel. It turns out it was just a convenient excuse for sacking Clement all along. If Clement was sacked for failing to adhere to "the Derby way" then why was a manager like Pearson appointed only 6 months later?

The Derby Way has always been a pipe dream. A forced identity based on 3/4 of a season under Mac. Hopefully this phrase can be left to rot with the dying embers of our expectations and we can speak about our football in real, tangible and considered terms again.

30 minutes ago, unclej said:

Forget the phrase 'The Derby Way'. It has no significance outside the head of the owner of a computer game.

It was a name given to a specific way of running the club. It's perfectly valid. 

Our structure, long term vision and contradictory appointments needs hammering. It's all become a mess. 

9 minutes ago, Anon said:

There's no such thing as the Derby way and I say that as someone who previously lapped up Mel's spiel. It turns out it was just a convenient excuse for sacking Clement all along. If Clement was sacked for failing to adhere to "the Derby way" then why was a manager like Pearson appointed only 6 months later?

Bevause Mel has no idea how he's supposed to implement it.

2 minutes ago, cosmic said:

How many questions into this afternoon's press conference will "The Derby Way" get mentioned? I'm going to say:

4 questions in. Natalie Jackson.

Any other takers?

Rob Dorsett's 2nd question

The derby way will be just fine under rowett.

It hopefully means a return to bringing in talented players and adding value to them either as signings or from the youth set up.

Effectively, the Derby way was the Nigel Clough way.

The playing style stuff is tactical rather than startegic. Strategic moves have been far more away from where we were than managers and styles.

Basically, the carrot of promotion derailed the derby way strategy.

8 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Honest question. Did Brian Clough create a system to suit the players he had, or obtain players to suit his (one) system? This includes his time with us and the other lot.

great question, I can't recall ever thinking in terms of systems back then.  Just great players playing wonderful football in an environment where you fully expected to win every game.  strong 2 centre backs, midfield dynamo, strong CF and a speedy #10.  rest of it was get the best players possible

The phrase the Derby way came about after watching the turgid stuff being produced under Clement and I believe Morris was trying to say that we want to watch good free flowing exciting football- which I agree with.

really the question should be what will the Rowett way be? - yes hard working (good) yes organised (good) but will we have better players than Burton and Birmingham had - yes possibly- so if all those things combine we may well see a very interesting team next season and beyond.

15 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Honest question. Did Brian Clough create a system to suit the players he had, or obtain players to suit his (one) system? This includes his time with us and the other lot.

Seriously.............He started our promotion season off I think with Hector, Durban & Webster and with incredible skill added all the rest because the rest already there were not talented enough. I am not sure Rowett is in the same position. We seem now to be talking about fine margins and getting the best out of what we have. Hence my question that in this day and age can good managers only play one way?

Archived