Gary Rowett's Tactical Philosophy

Arsene Titman

1 minute ago, Arsene Titman said:

Excellent article on www.outsideoftheboot.com 

Perhaps someone more tech savvy could post a link to the article- well worth a read

I posted it in another thread, you'll have to do some digging because I can't remember which?.

Edit: It was in the "Gary Rowett: Pros and Cons" thread, just go on my profile, scroll down, click the seemingly blank post in that thread and it will take you straight to it.

I'm actually quite excited about the prospect of Gary Rowett being our manager. I think he could have a similar skill in the transfer market that Nigel Clough had, but he's got a bit more about him when it comes to tactics and coaching. I just hope he's given all of the time he needs to build this team up. He needs the sort of patience that Nigel Clough was given.

23 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

I'm actually quite excited about the prospect of Gary Rowett being our manager. I think he could have a similar skill in the transfer market that Nigel Clough had, but he's got a bit more about him when it comes to tactics and coaching. I just hope he's given all of the time he needs to build this team up. He needs the sort of patience that Nigel Clough was given.

Nigel Clough for sure has an excellent ratio (in terms of the % of players he brings in that are decent), only Gary Rowett has been better. Some of the players he brought in in League Two are still with us in the Championship (says it all).

However, as you Rams like to see the ball passed constantly sideways (:p) and constant possession without even shooting, you won't see that at all with Rowett so you might be disappointed. His philosophy, 2 or 3 passes maximum and the ball must move forward....so I'm afraid instead of seeing the ball endlessly moving from side to side you will see far more shots and far more goals...but no more 80% possession and no shots. Sorry to put a dampener on that for you :unsure: 

As a Burton fan, I'm hoping you don't appoint Rowett, as you'll probably tonk us next season, I prefer it just the way you are, it's been a great watch.

The total secret to Derby county players producing is as simple as anything

get rid of rubbish

get every once of effort onto the pitch

get every bit of skill onto the pitch

get a main system of playing with decent alternatives 

59 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

That's how I feel too. Clough clearly isn't a bad manager and assembled a great squad. Rowett feels like an upgrade to Clough.

McClaren was too soft. I don't expect that from Rowett.

Seems to know exactly what he wants also.

3 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

That's how I feel too. Clough clearly isn't a bad manager and assembled a great squad. Rowett feels like an upgrade to Clough.

McClaren was too soft. I don't expect that from Rowett.

Seems to know exactly what he wants also.

A bit like Pearson did then. 

1 minute ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I think Pearson was too aggressive. Wasn't that the reason he was dismissed?.

Clough was disciplined, but also formed a decent team spirit.

There are different ways of doing things, but neither the McClaren or Pearson approach suited our current crop of under performers.

Pearson's biggest mistake was leaving his transfer dealings until the end of the transfer window, it was far too late to do anything decent then. At least Gary Rowett has got 9 matches to work out who to keep and who to get rid of, so he can hit the ground running when the transfer market reopens.

To be honest, I was dreading this summer if McClaren and Evans were still here because I just didn't have faith in them putting the squad right. They only ever seemed to go for players that were well known, meaning they were mostly high earners. I'm hoping Rowett can find us a few little known bargains that prove to do a great job without being paid insane sums of money.

1 minute ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

I think Pearson was too aggressive. Wasn't that the reason he was dismissed?.

Clough was disciplined, but also formed a decent team spirit.

There are different ways of doing things, but neither the McClaren or Pearson approach suited our current crop of under performers.

So basically the players are in charge. 

Fingers crossed the same clique who wanted Pearson and now Mac out are more happy with Rowett. 

Ffs.

2 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

So basically the players are in charge. 

Fingers crossed the same clique who wanted Pearson and now Mac out are more happy with Rowett. 

Ffs.

Players have all the control these days. I hate it. There's no such thing as a manager nowadays. Just coaches. Mel is the manager.

The modern game stinks tbh.

I don't think the players ever stopped playing for Clough though did they? Clough had a good run at it and was only lacking that little bit extra to get us into the play-off's.

It's since players have been given nice new contracts that they've not been arsed. I'd very much like to see us go back employing hungry players.

2 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

Pearson's biggest mistake was leaving his transfer dealings until the end of the transfer window, it was far too late to do anything decent then. At least Gary Rowett has got 9 matches to work out who to keep and who to get rid of, so he can hit the ground running when the transfer market reopens.

To be honest, I was dreading this summer if McClaren and Evans were still here because I just didn't have faith in them putting the squad right. They only ever seemed to go for players that were well known, meaning they were mostly high earners. I'm hoping Rowett can find us a few little known bargains that prove to do a great job without being paid insane sums of money.

I hope you're right. I hope Rowett is THE man that we need. But I can't help feeling disillusioned right now. Nothing a big win against Notts won't sort out! :D

I hope you're right. I hope Rowett is THE man that we need. But I can't help feeling disillusioned right now. Nothing a big win against Notts won't sort out! :D

I hope I'm right too. We'll all have a better idea once the new season gets underway if he has a good eye for a player. He just needs plenty of time to get things right. A win against Forest will certainly help. Let's face it, the current players have got to start performing now or they'll be on their way in the summer (though that probably won't bother half of them due to their long, highly paid contracts).